NBN roll out

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want it now and would even pay for the lead in.
I pay about $250 a month for phone, internet and foxtel. The NBN would save me a fair bit each month. Foxtel would be dumped and no more line rental.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The reason the government has to build the NBN is because it is simply not profitable enough to encourage private investment. I don't suggest that we dont need a network to be built to replace our aging infrastructure, however the current system is intrinsically flawed.

Wing_Nut

The reason the government has to build the NBN is because it is simply not profitable enough to encourage private investment. I don't suggest that we dont need a network to be built to replace our aging infrastructure, however the current system is intrinsically flawed.

Wing_Nut
So you agree that the network needs to happen but just not funded by the government?

So you agree that the network needs to happen but just not funded by the government?

There is little doubt that to solidify Australia's economic position Australia had to make serious communication investment and advances. I certainly agree that Australia is lagging behind the world in terms of technical investment and a overhaul of our communication network is needed. If the NBN delivers on all it's promises, it will be a great outcome for Australia. IF.

Wing_Nut

The NBN Co his already over budget and behind schedule.

Wing_Nut
sick and tired of hearing this behind schedule crap (the crew i run is actually ahead of schedule by a month but thats cos i run a tight ship ;) and where organising to do jobs that arnt booked in for weeks just so we have work)

to the people who say its taking to long , you guys have no idea like i said Rome was not built in a day , to be honest i couldnt tell you when it will be finished as a job that should only take 2-3 hours can suddenly turn into a day and a half job , and with the way things are set up that only has to happen 3 or 4 times and your behind by a month

there are so many hidden problems that the NBN and the government dont know about and they are the ones who have made this (imo) tight schedule ,

they have said coffs harbour should be finished in 12 to 18 months ....... there dreaming , the only way this will happen is if they employ double the people , so there goes the budget again

sick and tired of hearing this behind schedule crap (the crew i run is actually ahead of schedule by a month but thats cos i run a tight ship ;) and where organising to do jobs that arnt booked in for weeks just so we have work)

to the people who say its taking to long , you guys have no idea like i said Rome was not built in a day , to be honest i couldnt tell you when it will be finished as a job that should only take 2-3 hours can suddenly turn into a day and a half job , and with the way things are set up that only has to happen 3 or 4 times and your behind by a month

there are so many hidden problems that the NBN and the government dont know about and they are the ones who have made this (imo) tight schedule ,

they have said coffs harbour should be finished in 12 to 18 months ....... there dreaming , the only way this will happen is if they employ double the people , so there goes the budget again

Totally agree. Its certainly not the workers who are causing the NBN to run behind schedule, or over budget. The NBN has not been planned properly, and you are right in saying they are not going to meet the deadlines they have proposed. If they had liaised with industry professionals like yourself thomasssss, then there would be no need to hear about things being behind schedule and over budget.

Wing_Nut

Totally agree. Its certainly not the workers who are causing the NBN to run behind schedule, or over budget. The NBN has not been planned properly, and you are right in saying they are not going to meet the deadlines they have proposed. If they had liaised with industry professionals like yourself thomasssss, then there would be no need to hear about things being behind schedule and over budget.

Wing_Nut

its a government job, double budget and time frame....

Wing_Nut
yes , but the workers can only work so quick and hard AND still stay safe ( as im sure we all know how pedantic oh&s are now)

as i said earlier in the thread , the project needs more communication and organisation , and yes as you said they need to communicate with those in the field like me , my supervisor and his etc

another thing is getting people who are qualified to do the work , i started out as a general labourer with nothing but my oh&s coarse , within months they had me running my own little crew of 4 guys because the owner had to expand but had no one who could run more crews so the people out of the existing crew where split to run their own

im only 20 , i kinda feel like ive had to much responsibility dumped on me at times , some people dont want to deal with me (mainly oldies , no offence to the over 40's out there ;) ) and instantly ask if theres someone older they can talk to and i can tell that its because im too young

there are so many simple things that could of/be done to speed the project up purely in my job (the lead ins) things like splitting multi ports ( these things that the house lines connect to ) in half so they only service 6 houses , as a result we could eliminate having to haul so much cable through the underground network , which at times when its blocked can be one of the biggest things that slows us down when weve got to haul 120m of cable through 5 pits that are blocked with mud

Edison didnt make the light bulb in one go though did he , no it took him many many attempts before he got it right , hopefully it doesn't take so long for this project to get underway but you get my drift , theres just some hickups that need sorting and im sure it is being done

My understanding of it is that the delays aren't because of the workers more the unrealistic deadlines that were set. Proper consultations were not undertaken so the deadlines were pretty much a guess. A bit like the surplus that we were meant to have.

From talking to people who work for testra, the communication between NBN Co and testra is lacking leading to stuff ups and delays.

Thomassss I do have to correct you on one thing, Edison didn't create the light globe. He did work on creating a long lasting electric globe with a guy called Swan, who he eventually screwed over and took all the credit for himself. This is what he is known for. :)

I do not know why so many people are stuck on the notion that the NBN is a failure because it is running behind schedule or will run behind. If it is quoted to take 5 years and it takes 10 years a lot of people comment negatively, what if they said it will take 15 years to roll it all out then only take 10 years to complete is it then a raving success? Who really cares how long it takes , it is an essential part of or country to take us into the future and enables us to compete with the rest of the world. #The important part of the equation is price and you will always get unexpected costs on such large projects and it is the Governments and ACCC's job to make sure this doesn't really blow out or there will have to be subsidies to make the product affordable to the end user.

Last edited:
There will be a liberal government come september which will apparently spell the end of the nbn in any case

So if one little city is going to take over 2 years to complete, what's your estimate for the whole country?
For those who think that other countries already have something like this, you are dreaming.
There are a few medium cities with similar infrastructure, all paid for by private companies and often very expensive to access.
I'm not against it, i just think it was /is done very poorly.

So if one little city is going to take over 2 years to complete, what's your estimate for the whole country?
For those who think that other countries already have something like this, you are dreaming.
There are a few medium cities with similar infrastructure, all paid for by private companies and often very expensive to access.
I'm not against it, i just think it was /is done very poorly.
There are multiple work crews working around the country in different places. I would think that the larger cities would be allocated more resources and if you want to google there is a roll out plan and time estimation on the NBN website. Admittedly it may not be very accurate time wise but surely it can be used as a guide. As for it being no where else in the world if this is the case is there a problem with that? Why can Australia be at the leading edge of technology? If there are major cities with similar technology won't it just be a matter of time before the rest of the country follows? I agree that the roll out may not be the best but they have paid a lot of people with a lot more experience than us to come up with the plan and I would imagine there are a lot of factors to take into account and a lot that are unseen to us to consider.

Personally I think this country's got other pressing issues I could be using the money for.

Leave the NBN and the Desal plant alone . They may be expensive now but as our population increases they will make sense . Your kids will thank you for it one day :]

Leave the NBN and the Desal plant alone . They may be expensive now but as our population increases they will make sense . Your kids will thank you for it one day :]
Dead right, how many people have been complaining about the Government not building more dams 10 years ago when we were in the middle of the drought?

yes , but the workers can only work so quick and hard AND still stay safe ( as im sure we all know how pedantic oh&s are now)

as i said earlier in the thread , the project needs more communication and organisation , and yes as you said they need to communicate with those in the field like me , my supervisor and his etc

another thing is getting people who are qualified to do the work , i started out as a general labourer with nothing but my oh&s coarse , within months they had me running my own little crew of 4 guys because the owner had to expand but had no one who could run more crews so the people out of the existing crew where split to run their own

im only 20 , i kinda feel like ive had to much responsibility dumped on me at times , some people dont want to deal with me (mainly oldies , no offence to the over 40's out there ;) ) and instantly ask if theres someone older they can talk to and i can tell that its because im too young

there are so many simple things that could of/be done to speed the project up purely in my job (the lead ins) things like splitting multi ports ( these things that the house lines connect to ) in half so they only service 6 houses , as a result we could eliminate having to haul so much cable through the underground network , which at times when its blocked can be one of the biggest things that slows us down when weve got to haul 120m of cable through 5 pits that are blocked with mud

Edison didnt make the light bulb in one go though did he , no it took him many many attempts before he got it right , hopefully it doesn't take so long for this project to get underway but you get my drift , theres just some hickups that need sorting and im sure it is being done

they get unqualified people in because its cheap to pay labours then trades people.... typical sub contracting, everyone under cutting the next guy then doing the work with unskilled labour.... but then again you're only pulling in cable, not rocket science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back