Beardie UV Help!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson2540

Reaction score
Hey,
So I'm setting up my enclosure for the arrival of my beardie tomorrow. I've got a 4 foot reptile one enclosure. My question is about UV, I've currently got a Exo terra mini compact top with reptile one 10.0 bulb providing UV it's directly over the basking spot but it doesn't cover more than that third of the tank. Will this provide him with enough UV?
The cool end is also pretty dim so I thought I could get the fluorescent UV holder with the long fluorescent stick bulbs which will not only cover more but provide me with light for the whole enclosure? (That's the expensive option)
The cheap one is if the Exoterra will provide enough UV I can get just LEDs for cool end & light it with that.
Any advice on the matter would be much appreciated.
Thanks Guys

yeah the uvb will be fine even if it is only in the basking area. Lots of people have set ups like this with no problem :)

Thanks comfirms what my mate told me. I trust him but always good to be sure lol

Yeah that's simmiliar to what I have and they spend so much of there time soaking up the warmth that the easily get around 3-4 hours a day

I have a heat light up one end and the UV bulb in the middle of the enclosure. That way they can choose either the hot or cool end, but the UV light still hits all areas. But what you have sounds fine. I would however increase the bulb to a 12 or 14 if you can.

I have a heat light up one end and the UV bulb in the middle of the enclosure. That way they can choose either the hot or cool end, but the UV light still hits all areas. But what you have sounds fine. I would however increase the bulb to a 12 or 14 if you can.

UVB is best absorbed when dragons are at their optimum basking temp. It should be no further that 30cm away from basking spot.
A 10.0 is sufficient if applied correctly.

I have lights and use rat cages to put my Beardies in the sun each day also. They love it.

Just remember that glass filters all uv out and mesh filters a good portion out. So if its a glass lid it the globe needs to be inside

Just remember that glass filters all uv out and mesh filters a good portion out. So if its a glass lid it the globe needs to be inside

I make all my UV light covers out of plastic gutter guard, it's very cheap and UV stable also there are dozens of ways to shape and fix it e.g. sew, glue, melt it seems to filter out much less light than the pre made ones, though it isn't practical for heat lamps for obvious reasons. For heat lamps bird mesh is what I prefer. Also if you use an aluminium reflector eg BBQ, pie tray you will get significantly more UV penetration. Hope it is of use

Depends on the beardie my Rex just plonks himself under the basking spot all day so I installed an MVB bulb to ensure heat and uv. A tube of uv is probably better as more of the tank area is exposed for when the dragon deviates, but spot specific is fine too, it works for me :) get him out in the natural sunlight as much as possible too :):)

I make all my UV light covers out of plastic gutter guard, it's very cheap and UV stable also there are dozens of ways to shape and fix it e.g. sew, glue, melt it seems to filter out much less light than the pre made ones, though it isn't practical for heat lamps for obvious reasons. For heat lamps bird mesh is what I prefer. Also if you use an aluminium reflector eg BBQ, pie tray you will get significantly more UV penetration. Hope it is of use

I was under the impression that any form of barrier filters out uv to a certain extent? Light no it won't, but uv yes it will. But I'd be happily proved wrong.
Have you hit it with a uv meter?

Hi Cougar
Nah I haven't used a UV meter, what I have done is use so.e kids sun smart stickers I'm fairly sure they mainly check UVA but nevertheless they change colour about an hour quicker than with no reflector. I am trying to buy a UV meter( the friend of a friend thing) when it comes through i will post the figures. There is no doubt that reflected light has less UV i wouldn't use a mirror as you said glass removes 95% of UV

Will be interesting to find out. I believe you may find it filters pretty much all UVB out. That's not good for gizzards. Hope you are right though. May pay to err on the side of caution till you can get a meter on it though.

Will be interesting to find out. I believe you may find it filters pretty much all UVB out. That's not good for gizzards. Hope you are right though. May pay to err on the side of caution till you can get a meter on it though.

yeah you are right caution is always the best way to go! I will push a bit harder for the meter. Just a question is your concern with the mesh as it is much more open than commercial light guards or the reflector as that uses waste light off top of tank? I only ask because last year we lost a water dragon to MBD two W/Dragons in same tank no dominance issues one fine and strong the other MBD, that was why I made up guards and lowered lighting. I thought I should add that the vet believed that the MBD was genetic as she had some broken toes when we bought her and MBD isn't as common in W/Dragons.

Last edited:
I'm no expert on MBD but I believe the UVB is what is needed. That's why you should not have anything between the globe and the lizard.

Hmmmm

So while I've got this thread going. He's in eating and going well & defiantly getting enough UV I'd think, which is where my question lies. He doesn't seem to be interested in basking one bit even after a massive feed. I have a fake log backboard in the enclosure, he climbs up that and lays kind of on a ledge next to the basking light (he cant touch don't worry) and right under the UV. Is this normal and more importantly will this be ok? It's got a temp of around 36 (obviously I can't control it too much) and 44 and down on his logs sloping so he gets the different temps as needed. Its the heat he needs correct not the direct light off the bulb as that's what the UV is for? I'm sure that's right but I just want to double check these things as he's my first & you never can be too sure.

Thanks Guys

Last edited:
So while I've got this thread going. He's in eating and going well & defiantly getting enough UV I'd think, which is where my question lies. He doesn't seem to be interested in basking one bit even after a massive feed. I have a fake log backboard in the enclosure, he climbs up that and lays kind of on a ledge next to the basking light (he cant touch don't worry) and right under the UV. Is this normal and more importantly will this be ok? It's got a temp of around 36 (obviously I can't control it too much) and 44 and down on his logs sloping so he gets the different temps as needed. Its the heat he needs correct not the direct light off the bulb as that's what the UV is for? I'm sure that's right but I just want to double check these things as he's my first & you never can be too sure.

Thanks Guys

I assume you mean a basking temp of 44 and warm end of 36,if so this is good and yes he needs the heat from the basking lamp not the light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back