Two snakes as first snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacevy

Reaction score
Now that our family is sure we want a snake we are very excited.

We have decided to buy from the Snake Ranch and emailed them on Thursday ... no reply yet but I'm sure Monday there will be.

There is a major problem though. We can't agree on what snake. We know we will get a small one first but 3 people in our family want a blonde spotted and 2 people want a wheatbelt Stimson.

So in a moment of silly we said maybe we should get two. We would keep them in seperate click clacks.

I've had mammal pets for years and to be honest having 1 cat or dog makes very little difference to having 2.

What would you say. Should we duke it out and just get 1?

If you can't decide why not just get two there only small snakes so you won't need a big enclousure when there older so why not, but if you only want one do some more research into different snakes and find one you're whole family will like

You know how the saying goes "two snakes are better than one"... or is that heads ;) If you do enough research into each individual species needs, why not? They can be kept in click clack for quite a while and when they do go into their forever homes you could get enclosures you can stack, so they wouldn't take up much room.

Heating won't cost that much more for hatchies, especially if you are using heat cord and food is fairly cheap. What other pet could you feed for a couple of dollars a week. :)

If you get one now you will only be wanting another in a few months , so you should just get the two now !!

By getting a spotted and a stimson you will be able to observe the subtle differences in their behaviour and be able to work out what your 3rd snake will be !!

I can almost bet that everyone on here will say 2. If you have the choice why not. Haha but research heaps and make sure you have the space, money etc. despite it not being much. Just 2 3ft enclosures will do it. A heat cord or matt and there's not really much more that costs much. Cick clacks are a few bucks and free hides from old boxes.
SnkaeRanch were a great choice btw. You will be really stoked with whatever you get.

If you have the space to have 2 enclosures or stacked enclosures, go for it! I started out with 2 jungle carpets myself and they're housed separately in tubs at the moment. I'm making a new big enclosure soon, now that they've grown up a fair bit. And let me say that having 2 snakes to start with still hasn't stopped me from acquiring a 3rd snake 6 months later!
There's not a huge amount of extra work needed for a second snake either. And far less work overall than any cat or dog. Even the mice I breed for snake food require more hands on care than my snakes!

go for it, if you really want them and are confident. 2 is always better than 1. wen i bought my first snake, i actually bought 4 on the same day. my partner wanted 2 and i wanted the other 2.

This season I purchased a pair of Albino Darwin's and a pair of Red 'hypo' Bredli pythons from Snake Ranch. They are good to deal with and the animals are top quality. I think you should get a pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back