RBB not eatting!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scribble_pants

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hawkesbury, New South Wales, Australia, Australia
I know getting a first feed into a red belly isnt easy but I have tried everything but frogs! I cant get a hold of frogs (and I live in Northern QLD so unless I can get one posted it's down to catching and I cannot find any!
I have tried skinks and geckos and I even tried to force feed it a pinkie mouse but he he spat it right back out! tried to bite me too so I figure he didnt like it. If i wasn't wearing a glove him might have done some damage. he's so cute, I dont wanna lose him, hes my first rbb, PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE? does he need more sunlight? could uv light effect this behavior? hes usually inside out of uv.

Are you force feeding or assist feeding? I would'nt be force feeding. When your assist feeding, you will have to be REALLY, REALLY patient. If he spits it, try again. Don't force the pinkie down his throat, let him bite it and hold on. Then slowly move your hands away. He'll either eat it or spit it out. But be prepared to watch for awhile. Some swallow it straight away, others hold it for 20mins and then spit it out. All fun and games!!!!! Have you tried feeder fish?

This is one of the most common problems with small elapids. The issues surrounding it are quite considerable and frankly to be honest way to lengthy to go into detail here. Generally, husbandry, time of offer, type of offer are all important. Get these right and chances are the snake will feed

Eipper, how might i get hold of all of this, maybe there is something I dont know about and im getting it wrong.
thanks Whyme! I will try feeder fish! I think I know where I might get one of too yuppies! and tried both, like I said, i am so desperate! he spits out immediately.

I cover it in my book on keeping elapids Scribble

Did you breed the hatchling or buy it unfeeling?

If you bought it unfeeding is it your first elapid?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back