Need help with enclosure setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkir7979

Not so new Member
Reaction score

Hi guys, ive got 3 white lipped tree frogs in a 45cm wide, 45cm deep, 60cm high exo terra glass enclosure. I need help as to whats the best way to setup the bottom of the tank, ive tried pebbles, the frogs however injested them, soil is hard to get, spahgnum moss dries out, peat moss is a major pain in the butt to clean and sand is a pain too. I want to have water at the bottom aswel whats the best way to go about things? cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always try a false bottom setup, that way the water in the bottom helps keep the moisture and humidity levels up.
You then decorate the tank as needed above the waters surface.

How small are your pebbles? Mine aren't white lips but we bought 20mm mixed colour pebbles from Sam's they are cheap though you MUST BOIL them a few times as they seem to be polished with a wax. Most of the floor in our tank is water with the pebbles built up where we want land. Hope it helps
Sorry my point was they have larger pebbles to do the same 40/50mm

Last edited:
try really large pebbles, u can use a piece of perspex and silicon (must seal properly) it to half the tank and use large pebbles on one side and water on the other.

Just a quick note: That is WAY WAY WAY too small for 3 adult white lipped tree frogs, they are our biggest native frog, hence also being called the Giant Tree Frog. You will want to invest in a much larger tank before they hit adult size.

However, in the mean time when they are just babies you can silicone a divider in and use peatmoss over top of very large river stones (Purchased at bunnings) on the other side. I'm not sure why you would be having issues with the peatmoss, I haven't changed mine in 6 months (I do have plants growing in it however), and there is no sign of any problems that way. You only have to spotclean the poop up and make sure it is very heavily compacted down. For the first month or two it will come off on your frogs skin and seem dirty, but eventually it all settles down and is a very solid flooring.

This was my old setup for my frogs, as you can see one side is raised pebbles with peatmoss and plants growing in it. The other side is a sunken area with a filter rock pumping 24 hours a day for waters purity.

Now since I have only one frog in the tank (adult size now and needing individual tanks) I simply have a ceramic bowl with large riverstones sunken into the peatmoss and changed every second day.

tumblr_ml9x6fcDHI1s2z3vdo6_500.jpg

Ah right, @Sarah Scales, how often do you actually clean your tank ?, i went to the aussie reptile park a while back and they just use red flood light (they cant see the light) for heat and uvb source and just have a energy saver globe for natural light, i did this, however the flood light seemed to burn out, its the third one ive gone through and they only last a day? it cant be the exo terra ceramic lamp holder can it? cause it can handle the heat? also its connected to a thermostat. So wht do you recommend i do with this tank , something that is easy to clean and work with but looks great? thanks !

Attachments

• wqdqwdqwd.jpg
    wqdqwdqwd.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 31
this is another setup ive had

Attachments

• 1938.jpg
    1938.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 43
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts