BHP mistakes blanket for rat ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PrecisionPythons

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So i got my black headed python out of her enclosure, as always she was a little feisty. She was attempting to bite me and anything in her path. Purposely or accidentally my BHP has grabbed hold of my blanket on my bed, coiled around it and attempted to swallow my queen size blanket haha. My BHP remained in feed mode for around 15-20 mins.

In the future are there any tips on getting her to let go of the blanket without causing her any harm?

Has your aussie python or snake done something similar, what was the time limit ?

View attachment 288943tocka1.JPG

Attachments

• tocka2.JPG
    tocka2.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 255
Ive used listerine or any alcoholic drink close at hand before with good effect. Sometimes the smell near their face is enough to get them to lit go and sometimes a drop on their gums will get them to let go.

Feed it more so it is not looking for food where it doesn't exist.

yea ive heard of listerine havent tried it yet.

haha thanks for the advise "Darlyn" but shes fed every week, she just has a very strong food response in and around her cage once shes out shes ok!

i personally will not use any chemicals or alcohol based substances on my reptiles.

she will relise its not food and let go, or gently get it out of her mouth. or water works as well if she is bitting you.

I had the same thing happen with my olive and my dressing gown about a week ago, except the evil bugger was aiming for me. I managed to pry him off my arm, but come hell or high water he was not letting go of the sleeve of my dressing gown! Usually running water has been enough to make him let go of whatever he's got (usually me) but this time it wasn't, and I gave up and put him back in his enclosure with his prize. he let go eventually when he figured out that fabric's not tasty or edible :p

Diluted F10 solution works on my stimmie. She hates it. I've only ever had to use it twice, though.

i personally will not use any chemicals or alcohol based substances on my reptiles.

she will relise its not food and let go, or gently get it out of her mouth. or water works as well if she is bitting you.

There is nothing wrong with dabbing some non-toxic substance on the gums if it is needed. Metho, ethanol, even vinegar are things worth having on hand. It isn't unusual for snakes to accidentally ingest large foreign items such as hats, pieces of clothing, or even blankets if they mistakenly get them hooked up in their teeth - sometimes the easiest thing for them to try and do is to swallow it, and then they find they're so committed they can't get it out of their mouths owing to their backward-pointing teeth. (Alocohols are, of course toxic, particularly metho, but used in such minute quantities are totally harmless).

Snakes will die from this, or if they are able to swallow the item, they will need surgery if they can't either regurge or pass it - they will die from an impaction.

If a dab or two of something that tastes noxious to the snake will save its life, then I'd say it's worth it. They're not likely to become frenzied alcoholics after all...

Jamie

There is nothing wrong with dabbing some non-toxic substance on the gums if it is needed. Metho, ethanol, even vinegar are things worth having on hand. It isn't unusual for snakes to accidentally ingest large foreign items such as hats, pieces of clothing, or even blankets if they mistakenly get them hooked up in their teeth - sometimes the easiest thing for them to try and do is to swallow it, and then they find they're so committed they can't get it out of their mouths owing to their backward-pointing teeth. (Alocohols are, of course toxic, particularly metho, but used in such minute quantities are totally harmless).

Snakes will die from this, or if they are able to swallow the item, they will need surgery if they can't either regurge or pass it - they will die from an impaction.

If a dab or two of something that tastes noxious to the snake will save its life, then I'd say it's worth it. They're not likely to become frenzied alcoholics after all...

Jamie

Thats good to know for next time :)

My bhp missed his rat and chowed down on a towel for 10 minutes (have pics but cant upload). Not as silly as our Darwin who missed her rat, got herself midway along her body, chewed and coiled and had to be hosed down to make her let go ha ha ha.

Jamie

i understand what your saying but why use something that is toxic and harmful if to much is used wen there are ulternatives such as water or vinegar. or even using f-10 as its non toxic to reptiles and food safe.

I use water out of a spray bottle , it sometimes startles them enough or upgrade to the dilute F10 solution if the water does not work.

i understand what your saying but why use something that is toxic and harmful if to much is used wen there are ulternatives such as water or vinegar. or even using f-10 as its non toxic to reptiles and food safe.

I'm not suggesting you pour the stuff over them... just a dab with a cotton bud wet with alcohol is sufficient, and it will do no harm to the animal. Water will work occasionally if it shocks them, but it doesn't always work. I did suggest vinegar...

Jamie

yes i know you sugested vinegar. its just my personal opinion and preference not to use chemicals or toxic stuff with my reptiles.

They arnt the smartest critters,up in Darwin some folk had a cat that slept on a beach towel on a chair o/side & along comes a wild python & grabs where the cat was ,it eventually swalowed the beach towel & had to be taken to the vet to get it cut out.

I have a few womas that are hyper feeders like this, one is not allowed near towels, feeding them more often will just result in a fat snake and that's not an option in my house. I start with cold water because it's easily accessible, if that doesn't do the trick I use vinegar, listerine, f10, vodka etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back