Jungle Python hasnt eaten in 5 months !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel101

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have a Black and Gold Jungle Python who is a fatty, he doesnt look underweight he is still fat although he hasnt had a feed since i got him in Decemeber last year.

Ive tried both Rats and Mice,dead or alive, tried a rabbit, nothing at all, he seems interested and reaches out then has a sniff and looks to be scared off and turns around.

He is very active and very placid i take him out often and he just climbs around so i dont think he is sick or injured.

What should i do ?

The temp is around 30 degrees, not sure on his weight and length ill measure him next time i get him out

I had trouble with a rescued Jungle. Would not eat. Look at it grab it and throw it.
I ended up just Leaving the Rat and he just took it.
He know either takes it straight away .. Or Leaves it 10 min and comes back to it.

He will eat when he is ready as long as he looks healthy and isnt under conditioned dont stress to much.

Pic didn't work mate. Try hosting from another site such as tinypic or go to advanced and manage attachements.
How old is he? I would also bump the temp up to at least 32c and see how you go.
I had an MD who for some reason was very picky about Mice and Rats. Occassionally took them scented (egg yolk, tuna oil, chicken stock). But smashes Quail no problem. Probably be the same for Chicks too I'd imagine.
You could try those if you are really worried. But I'd bump the temp up first and leave him for 5-7 days and try feeding his usual meal of choice again. In some cases once Chicks/Quail are offered they NEVER go back to Rodents.

definatly up the temp to 32-33. try quail and chicken also have you tried dangling the food on tweezers in his face to try and get a response from him. also leave food over night in his enclosure he might take it wen no one is around.

if that does not work try different scents e.g skink, egg yolk or brain it (cut the mouse or rats head open a bit and get a bit of brain to stick out only do this on defrosted mice/ rats).

good luck.

I had a jungle a few years ago that and the same problem. My vet suggested I put it in a smaller enclosure and keep the tank half covered with a good dark hide because he was very flighty and all of a sudden he started eating again. He just didn't feel safe to eat in peace in a big enclosure

Yeah I would also recommend the above mentioned practices of A - allowing a dark secure place, B - leaving the food there (overnight if needs be, not longer though), and C you mentioned you have tried rats... unless you are talking little pinkies or something you often don't want to go into rat sizes with a jungle... can be one of many causes of regurgitation (jungles you are better off giving 2 mice or baby rats rather than one rat you'd give a different type of snake that size. Failing that cranking the temp a little may help as they can be particular about that too. Often if they are curious and come over for a bit of a sniff but then withdraw it may just be that they are a timid eater. I have dealt with a few snakes like that (including a problem eater jungle) and often just leaving the food there and leaving the room for a few hours (maybe even covering up the glass with a blanket or something if needed) and the food has generally disappeared when you come back. Jungles are exceptionally timid snakes (why they seem so aggressive) so it is not uncommon for them to be uncomfortable feeding in front of you or when there are noises or other stuff going on. Since a python is defenceless half way through swallowing their prey, nervous individuals often just want to feel safe and sure they won't be disturbed.
It is true that pythons can be very particular about their food being correct though...did you ask the previous owner what they fed it on? Wild snakes may try and eat anything, but often in captivity due to the lack of diet variety, snakes become creatures of habit, if it doesn't smell like the food they are used to, then they don't always register it as food.

If none of the suggestions mentioned above work though, I'd be headed to a reptile vet and get their opinion... that is a fair while to go without a decent feed. You never know their could be mites or a problem in the intestines or any number of other issues that may not easily show up just by watching them. Let us know how it goes though.

Last edited:
I think it is hard for anyone here to give a decisive opinion unless we know the following.
1) Age and size of the animal.
2)What it was fed before you got it.
3) What size housing it was in before it came to you.
4) Where are you measuring cage temperature.

Three things are possible.
Too cold. (As suggested, bump up the temps.)
Cage too big (If it's a hatchling. They can stress out due to insecurity.especially if its been in a small container)
Possibly the wrong prey item...(or wrong temp of prey item)
More info required from you perhaps.

He is about 4 years old and about 2m long, in the same enclosure he was when i purchased him, 90x90x100
He was pretty fat when i got him and he is still pretty fat, i was told he was feeding on large rats and was quite the pig.

Take it to the herp vet mate something of that size shouldn't go off its food there must be something wrong

Biologist, an adult jungle is well and truly capable of eating a large rat. This would not cause regurgitation. If a snake can swallow the meal it can digest it, so long as conditions are good. Regurgitation is most likely to be caused by low temperatures, stress or some underlying condition imparing digestion.

As stated, jungles are very deffensive becaused they are timid and less tolerent of human contact. My first suggestion is if you are, stop handling him altogether until regular feeding is established.

As others stated, 30 degrees is a touch low. Raise the hot area of the cage to 35 degrees making sure there is a cool end at room temperature. Coming into the colder months keep an eye on temps an night. the cooler weather can make daytime heating insufficient and drop the heated area below 35 degrees.

It sounds to me like he is stressed. Leaving him completely alone for at least a week may calm him down. Offer food once, leave it overnight and if not eaten, remove the spoilt food and leave him for a further week before trying again. As I said. Handle only if neccessary until feeding is regular.

Take it to the herp vet mate something of that size shouldn't go off its food there must be something wrong
honestly? :facepalm:
whilst you may very well be right and there is something wrong but i wouldn't be sounding so certain about it , maybe simply say , "a trip tp the vet might not go to stray" instead of "there must be something wrong " this just spreads unnecessary panic to the op and to other new keepers who might read this when there snake isnt eating

not eating isnt necessarily a sign of there being something wrong that needs the attention of a herp vet , it could simply be that his temps are to low ( as appears to be the case imo) and the animal just wont eat untill that is fixed , in my experience individuals within species can be fussy when it comes to temps , i know with my coastals 2 of them will eat fine at 32-33 hotspot , another however wouldn't eat until i bumped him up to 35

Play nice

I didn't not mean it WOULD, just that it could... it has been known to happen, and that was the case with one I've been dealing with, has been eating well, and I've heard of many others presenting the same issue. Chill a bit... was just a thought, not an personal attack on all jungle pythons. I thought this was a place of friendly mutual interest not a chance to belittle others.

I didn't not mean it WOULD, just that it could... it has been known to happen, and that was the case with one I've been dealing with, has been eating well, and I've heard of many others presenting the same issue. Chill a bit... was just a thought, not an personal attack on all jungle pythons. I thought this was a place of friendly mutual interest not a chance to belittle others.

I don't think he was trying to belittle you, and neither am I, but I don't understand what you meant by 'unless you are talking little pinkies or something you often don't want to go into rat sizes with a jungle' - do you mean for all size jungles or specifically smaller ones? Keeping them on mice or pinky rat sizes their whole life would just lead to them being dwarfed, unless you fed them a LOT of mice, which would cost a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vet types have said that with that particular species it is not uncommon for a python to have difficulty swallowing and digesting larger foods. If it copes with it, go for it... but as with the one I have been recently sorting out, it is surprisingly common for them to struggle with large prey. If you do feed smaller prey though, you do have to feed them more than one though... pricing around here it has worked out pretty similar either way, but I can happily say not only has it been staying down, she's actually been having a far better feeding reponse. But, as I said not often (not not ever). When it comes to biology there are always a multitude of variables... I personally can't swallow pills, other people can though, not saying no one should ever take pills because I can't, just some people can't and it is worth considering as it could be something as simple as that. Most importantly, none of us know all the exacts about the situation, that is why I just gave some suggestions based on what I and other industry professional types I have talked to have tried effectively in similar problematic stiuations, so they can be tried and if needs get it to the vet as soon as possible. I appreciate your wording though trimeresurus, you don't understand what I ment because I didn't explain myself clear enough, and that is constructive, which I commend you on. I only commented because I thought I could offer some help, if I wasn't as clear as I needed to be, I thankyou for pointing it out. I will be the first to say I don't know everything about everything, all I know is what has worked for myself, and the vets and other animal professionals I've talked to, same as anyone else. May not have anything to do with this persons situation, but if it does, well that's great, saved a vet bill or two, if not no harm no foul. I like polite and encouraging people :) You are ok in my books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back