Trapping Felines

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Hopefully I can get some responses here before the typical arguments break out. The neighbour's cat likes to get into my shed and stress out my rats. So I got a humane trap so I can deliver it to the pound. The only problem is I haven't caught it yet. I don't know if it's too smart or too timid or if I'm just doing it wrong. So does anyone have tips for bait type, how to attach it, where to place the trap etc? It's the type with a pressure plate attached to the door. If you're not comfortable advertising the fact that you do this on the forum, feel free to PM me. I didn't make this to start any fights. Simple tips are all I want.
Cheers
Dan

Maybe find the entrance of which it is getting in. I take it you not leaving the door open and it must be getting in some other way. Place the trap their and get some food to place in the trap. Just so you know I have done little trapping and it was when I was very young like 5 years old with my dad, but then again I do watch turtle man.

Depends what the owners feed it. You can try the dry food and the canned food. One of them should work.

I have used one of these traps a number of time and used a tin of tuna as bait, if the cat is not familiar with you then you will need to try and make sure your scent isn't on the trap. As for placement , just place it near where the cats are going to your rats. One other Idea is to place a dead rat in as bait since it already likes your rats. The best defence against cats is the smell of a dog so either get a dog or dog hair in a bag near your rats and that might help.

KFC scraps always worked for me, microwave them until warm and set the trap in the evening. When i didnt have that, canned sardines, also set in the evening. I soaked the cage in a bath of water for 2-3 days to eliminate scents. Use gloves to set it, and leave it overnight. I've successfully trapped hundreds of cats in this manner.

Regards

Wing_Nut

tuna or roast chicken
I've not trapped many cats - i usually lure them inside and call the council.
I am a cat owner and i foster kittens BUT I think that the humanity as a whole need to have an attitude re-adjustment re:cats.
You wouldn't let your puppy roam the streets at night, but its okay with a cat!!
make sure you let the council know whos cat it is so they get left with a hefty fine!

Just call the council mate just keep doin it till you see no more

If this is at night by law you are allowed to trap any cat and take it to a pound..The traps are at Kennards Hire.
All cats are supposed to have a bell on them now also. And this is NSW before people jump in.

I trapped a feral cat and rang the council, they told me they would not do a thing about it as cats apparently are allowed to roam, what a joke!
I ended up having to take it to the RSPCA shelter as nowhere else would have a bar of it :(
I cannot believe the local councils do not have a system in place for the collection of feral cats.

Try talking to your neighbours. You could start a major catfight (pardon the pun) by trapping their beloved pet. I had a similar problem with my neighbours cat and my quail, I just spoke to them and problem solved :) Diplomacy is always your first and best option :)

Skeptic read other posts and you will see i was TALKING to Josh. not the poster.

It's probably not hungry.\
A carboard box with one side removed.
A rat in a mesh cage inside the carboard box.
Place the box at the end of the trap (on the outside) so the open side of the box faces the trap.
The cat can only see the rat from the trap side.
Cat enters trap to get at rat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back