Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

M.Carinata

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Afternoon Everyone,

I was looking through the Keeping wildlife privately in Queensland — Conditions and restrictions. It seems like the Woma is no longer a restricted reptile anymore? If you scroll right down to the bottom it gives lists of what you can keep etc. Can someone confirm what I've read, because I don't want to breach my license and I've read over it about 5 times and I'm worried that I'm missing it.

Thanks,

(http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/register/p01389aa.pdf)

^^^ Mods, I hope this link is okay? If not, I apologise and please delete.

Last edited:
I think you are looking in the wrong place for the list.

Can you provide the correct place please? I'm pretty lost.

I read this as womas still being restricted, I can't find an exemption for them in the link.

All threatened or rare or near threatened reptiles other than the following (are restricted reptiles) —
• reptiles of the family Cheloniidae
• reptiles of the family Dermochelydiae—
• freshwater crocodile Crocodylus johnstoni
• saltwater or estuarine crocodile Crocodylus porosus

thats how i always read it. Antaresia are commercial, elapids and hydrophiidae are restricted and everything else comes under recreational.

And now i've seen Brodie's post, I never new the Woma was considered near threatened but now i've learnt something new.

Last edited:
I just rang DEH and the woma is still restricted.

Thanks for everyones help

I read this as womas still being restricted, I can't find an exemption for them in the link.

All threatened or rare or near threatened reptiles other than the following (are restricted reptiles) —
• reptiles of the family Cheloniidae
• reptiles of the family Dermochelydiae—
• freshwater crocodile Crocodylus johnstoni
• saltwater or estuarine crocodile Crocodylus porosus
It is in the wording and hard to find the right document but I have found it before. There is a list somewhere else that puts the Woma and GTP (Australian native) are on the threatened list.

Womas and native green tree pythons are the only restricted pythons, is that right??? Or is it all green tree pythons in general? What about rough scale pythons? In Vic they are on an advanced license. But then the dse in Vic send a full species list with your record book so their is no confusion.

Some parts of the QLD system have me a bit stumped and the dehp website is shocking.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. :)

Excluding the listed Elapids which I won't go into, if it is rare or threatened AND endemic to QLD it is restricted. The problem with this is although this means the list is dynamic in terms of what is added (if something endemic becomes rare it becomes restricted) there is no leeway in the other direction (e.g. Golden Tailed geckos are no longer a QLD endemic and therefore should no longer be restricted).

So how's the go with obtaining a restricted snake if you only have the basic license? Do you need an upgraded license or something :L

Unless its changed recently two womas can be kept on the standard recreational licence. If you have three or more you need to pay an extra $180 per three years for the pleasure of owning them. As far as I know the money doesnt go into protecting the habitat of the threatened locality of them. I would be happy to pay more if the money went to good use like conservation of the species but for now I will just have to smile while I get ripped by the man.

If you want one or two then you are ok on the recreational licence.

Aaron

2 restricted animals (in total of any species) can be kept on a basic licence. Upgrading is easy - just pay the fee. Upgrading to keeping venomous is much more difficult.

There is also the side note which allows this ONLY if there is no intent to breed. If you buy a pair of womas with the intent to breed them then you must upgrade to a full restricted licence once they reach breeding age.

Oh right yea always wanted to know what the two restricted reptiles were, like what kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back