patternless smooth knob tailed geckos?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Womagaunt

Reaction score
so i was just scrolling through the 'for sale' section of the forum and noticed a guy was selling patternless smooth knob tailed geckos, he was also selling 100% het for patternless knob tails as well and wanted to know what does it mean when he says 100% het for patternless, does it mean if you say put two together and they mate will you produce patternless knob tails or is this something that cannot be reproduced?, also are patternless knob tails common in the reptile trade because this is the first time ive ever seen one? also just wanted to note that im not buying them just wanted to know abit about the patternless part, and also are there any other morphs?
Cheers :)

yeah thats the guy haha :) but yeah just wanted to know abit about colour morphs and the patternless knob tail :)

With simple recessive genetic traits (i.e. albinism) in order to express the trait (i.e. in order for you to be able to see it) the animal needs to have two copies of the same mutation (it has to be homozygous - AA or aa). The 'het' refers to the term heterozygous which means it carries one recessive and one 'normal' gene (in this example Aa). When you pair het animals you get a 25% chance of getting an animal that expresses the recessive trait, 50% will be carriers and 25% will be normal and not carry any recessive traits.

Last edited:
With simple recessive genetic traits (i.e. albinism) in order to express the trait (i.e. in order for you to be able to see it) the animal needs to have two copies of the same mutation (it has to be homozygous - AA or aa). The 'het' refers to the term heterozygous which means it carries one recessive and one 'normal' gene (in this example Aa). When you pair het animals you get a 25% chance of getting an animal that expresses the recessive trait, 50% will be carries and 25% will be normal and not carry any recessive traits.
alright cheers :)

if u breed 2 het for paternless together and from memory dont geckos only have 2 eggs how will the % rate work then? is it only a 25% chance of getting a paternless

It's only a 25% chance of getting a patternless. So out of every two clutches (4 eggs total), you should get 1 patternless. It may not turn out like this, you can always get all 4 patternless (unlikely), or all normal/wildtype (also unlikely).

Other Smooth Knob-tailed morphs include albino and hypomelanistic.

The patternless or "jellybean" morph was first bred approximately 4 or 5 years ago. They are in the hands of a number of knob-tailed breeders by now. I recently purchased 2x hets from the man in question and they are very healthy looking animals.

Thanks thyla and kev. I do take care of my reptiles. Cheers for the big ups.

I do have someone to thank for all my knowledge and care though. So a big TY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back