Common Tree Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rsz_1picture1.jpgrsz_picture2.jpg

Hopefully that worked i know the quality is bad taken in haste on an i phone.
Further more there is little pressure on its head if it looks like I am holding it firmly but as i said i had no idea at the time what it was.

So hope you enjoy

Cheers Jacob

Thanks Yogi, they really are super looking snakes aren't they. I bet its colours would have been stunning in real life.

Absolutly amazing, The blue just stunning thats what made me think hey this one could be a bad one.
Looked it uo after and breathed a psy of relief.

Cheers Yogi

i've always loved these guys(first species of reptile i new the name ofat 2:lol:)
there was one living at my grandmas house in her roof(there were heaps of frogs) and i used to love to go and find and watch him, as well as the frogs. but then she sold her house:cry:...

anyway, would a green tree snake be an ok first or second(after woma) snake?
im thinking i should go for a python first...

No reason you can't go a tree snake even as a first snake IF you do the reading first and provide all its husbandry needs. If you are considering it then I reckon go for it. They are awesome animals and much more interesting than pythons. Yes they don't like handling but then neither do fish and my fishtanks are much more interesting than my pythons.

No reason you can't go a tree snake even as a first snake IF you do the reading first and provide all its husbandry needs. If you are considering it then I reckon go for it. They are awesome animals and much more interesting than pythons. Yes they don't like handling but then neither do fish and my fishtanks are much more interesting than my pythons.

I doubt you'd be saying that if you had ever force fed a hatchling or successfully weaned a GTS on to rodents only.

yeah, i've been reading abit on caring for them, and wild behaviour. i know that they need a tall enclosure with lots of things to climb(branches, vines...) and also that you feed them fish? that u put in a waterbowl for the fish to swim in and they just catch them themselves.?.?.?.

With repeated handling they can be very easily handled and do get use to it. My female will just about slither out onto your hand and is a dream to handle. My male, well lets just say that a very swift and concise grab gets him every time out from his hide, and he calms down with a minute, but he will try to climb anything he can in the mean time to get away from you...:D

As others have said, i much prefer them as they do interact more in their enclosure. My girl will follow u around her tank, especially when she thinks shes getting fed.

tree snake 1024 colour.jpgtree snake 1024.jpgtree snake stump 1024.jpgI have handled a couple over the years and got one a couple of months ago, that was non feeding, any way in the 2 months I have had him/her I have found it to have calmed down quite considerably my daughter who is 7 can even handle it. feeds fine every time on fish eats 4 or 5 at a time. That said I have handled a couple of very flighty ones and found them extremely agile but reluctant to bite wouldn't recommend them for a newbie but great snakes now I have to save my money for a blue one lol :)

tree snake stump 1024.jpgtree snake 1024.jpgtree snake 1024 colour.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous snake dragon

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

With repeated handling they can be very easily handled and do get use to it. My female will just about slither out onto your hand and is a dream to handle. My male, well lets just say that a very swift and concise grab gets him every time out from his hide, and he calms down with a minute, but he will try to climb anything he can in the mean time to get away from you...:D

As others have said, i much prefer them as they do interact more in their enclosure. My girl will follow u around her tank, especially when she thinks shes getting fed.

what do you feed them? and yes i believe with time any snake will get used to you and be comfortable with you holding them.

what do you feed them? and yes i believe with time any snake will get used to you and be comfortable with you holding them.

Ahhh the naivety of youth... You hold ont that thought but there are plenty of snakes out there that it doesn't matter how much you try to handle them they stay bitey and antisocial.

That really is a stunner Dragon. I haven't actually seen a capitive GTS in person and just base my thoughts on what I have heard others say and they certainly don't come to my mind when asked about a good starter snake. They have always come across as quite flighty from what I have observed with wild specimens and they are super agile, I think you guys are so lucky to have such a looker and that you guys can handle it so easily.

i used to own a green tree snake and he was awesome

I doubt you'd be saying that if you had ever force fed a hatchling or successfully weaned a GTS on to rodents only.

Exceptionally arrogant of you to make an assumption on what I have or haven't done before.

The reason I capitalized the IF was to highlight the bit after it, which included 'provide all its husbandry needs'. I assumed this was self-explanatory and that husbandry needs included being able to provide an appropriate diet.

Exceptionally arrogant of you to make an assumption on what I have or haven't done before.

The reason I capitalized the IF was to highlight the bit after it, which included 'provide all its husbandry needs'. I assumed this was self-explanatory and that husbandry needs included being able to provide an appropriate diet.

So how can someone "provide all it needs" without first having experience? I am not aware of any in depth guides which cover the topics of force feeding or switching to rodents and THE only article I have ever seen on removing skinworms from snakes was written by me!

Please explain how a first time keeper would "Provide all it's husbandry needs". And if you wouldn't mind please enlighten us on:
1)the best way to wean them on to a rodent only diet?
2)what one rule of feeding fish to GTS?
3)what size rodents do we cut parts from to feed hatchlings that don't want to eat, and what parts do we use and why?
4)do they spend most of their time arboreally?
5)Are they a burrowing species?

So how can someone "provide all it needs" without first having experience? I am not aware of any in depth guides which cover the topics of force feeding or switching to rodents and THE only article I have ever seen on removing skinworms from snakes was written by me!

Please explain how a first time keeper would "Provide all it's husbandry needs". And if you wouldn't mind please enlighten us on:
3)what size rodents do we cut parts from to feed hatchlings that don't want to eat, and what parts do we use and why?

So that was why the statement was prefaced with 'IF' - look back to my first statement and you can clearly see that the word 'if' was capitalised for that very reason.

I obviously made an error. Seems that only the select elite few could possibly look after such a complicated to care for animal. Should we send all our animals to yourself as its now obvious that they can't possibly be receiving adequate care in my hands?

Hey mate, I've manage to wean three gts onto rodent diets. my golden who I got as a hatchling and started out with fish for the first year is now on pinky mice and has upto three a fees. And two other green tree which I no longer have. My golden was growing very very slowly on fish and as soon as I moved her onto rodents She's getting big quick! Not sure if its the rodents though, could just be around her age 1.5 years that her body's deciding to sprout..

How I weaned them over? Well the greens needed scenting of fish to get them over.. I started with scenting the fish with mice and the nice with fish. Is feed them a fish and then put the mice in there mouth as they were finishing the fish.. Usually they would continue on and eat the mouse.. I would continue this for Afew feeds then try and eliminate the fish all together (still scenting the mouse with fish just not feeding the fish first) if it worked woohoo if not I'd continue feeding technique as above until it would consistently take the mouse just scented.. Then I would try mice not scented if he took it great! If not scent it.. Continue the process till it doesn't need scenting!!

Golden tree snake was easy.. When he's in his hide anything that shakes and vibrates on the critters in front of his hide is dinner! Forget trying to feed him if he's not in his hide though.. Unless u can get him to see it vibrating on critters crumble and then offer it to him..

Anyway!!

Very long winded so if I've confused you let me know and ill try to clarify!!

Cheers

Hey mate, I've manage to wean three gts onto rodent diets. my golden who I got as a hatchling and started out with fish for the first year is now on pinky mice and has upto three a fees. And two other green tree which I no longer have. My golden was growing very very slowly on fish and as soon as I moved her onto rodents She's getting big quick! Not sure if its the rodents though, could just be around her age 1.5 years that her body's deciding to sprout..

How I weaned them over? Well the greens needed scenting of fish to get them over.. I started with scenting the fish with mice and the nice with fish. Is feed them a fish and then put the mice in there mouth as they were finishing the fish.. Usually they would continue on and eat the mouse.. I would continue this for Afew feeds then try and eliminate the fish all together (still scenting the mouse with fish just not feeding the fish first) if it worked woohoo if not I'd continue feeding technique as above until it would consistently take the mouse just scented.. Then I would try mice not scented if he took it great! If not scent it.. Continue the process till it doesn't need scenting!!

Golden tree snake was easy.. When he's in his hide anything that shakes and vibrates on the critters in front of his hide is dinner! Forget trying to feed him if he's not in his hide though.. Unless u can get him to see it vibrating on critters crumble and then offer it to him..

Anyway!!

Very long winded so if I've confused you let me know and ill try to clarify!!

Cheers

I think you misunderstood ;)
I'm also a GTS keeper/breeder :)
I was asking the guy above if he knew as he made the claim they were good first snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back