Which method do you adhere to?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I got my first snake not too long ago too; and same as u was confronted by conflicting information.
I have a hatchie jungle. And I had never even held a snake before I went and met the breeder, Where I was bitten like 6 times; great first experience. Lol none of it hurt felt like a baby flicked me. But I was nervous when I got him home. And I'm sure the hatchie was scared to after the trip.

So me and the missus did some things that have seemed to work amazingly. Remember I was nervous so I probably went further than needed.

We kept him In the Lounge in a small click clack box....
And didn't touch him for about 4 days. When we first started to get him out we would wear long jumpers and used the hook under his belly to get him out. And place him onto the sleeve of the jumper.

I noticed when he touched my skin; must have been the heat or something, it made him jump a little the first few times. So I let him sus it out. He sat on my jumper for a while and then just started exploring.
After the first few weeks of doing this for say ten to 15 every couple of days i didn't need the jumpers anymore and he stays out heaps longer, because both the snake and me had gotten used to each other. Now when I get him out he'll just curl up on my lap. Sit on my shoulder, and what not. Seems to love my laptop haha must be the heat.

But by taking it slow and using the hook seemed to work. Not a single bite from this snake yet :) and its now been 5 months. Feed him every 7 days and has never missed a feeding. Im Far from experienced, but hey it worked :)

Thanks for that burkey.
I think I will be taking it really slow too.

We only have a stimson though so hopefully he will be settled (fingers crossed)

Many captive bred snakes are quite cool with handling from day 1, but this may be in the experienced hands. Animals have a knack of sensing nervousness or indecision, so it may help if you have someone experienced living nearby who can show you the ropes.

Jamie

This.

OP, as Jamie said, indecisive and nervous movements can really unsettle a snake. Don't have your hands floating around deciding whether it may bite you or not, just confidently pick it up, let it settle for a bit and then it should be fine. Avoid touching flighty snakes on the head, tail or back. Always try to make contact with their belly when holding/lifting them, it freaks them out much less

You can't put your hand over the snake to 'dominate it'. It will feel threatened as usually if something were to engulf a hatchling snake it would be a predator about to eat it and I'm sure that is not a good way to get a hatchling used to you.

I have seen even more idiotic things on youtube and other parts of the interwebs though. The main problem with the stuff you find on a google search is that there is no review process and anyone can post anything with a result of reams of rubbish floating around.

I've handled mine from day one (admittedly though, I was scared of being tagged for a fair while, especially from a jumpy one). When I first tried to get the jumpy one out he had a few goes at me but I got him up eventually. He then slithered along my hands for a while then bit my thumb and I jumped out of my skin. However, since being bitten a few times by all of them, it no longer phases me.

Some people will say don't handle them for a week or two.
Others will say handle them as much as you want, even when you first get them.
I did the latter which had no negative effects on them.

Just reach in there and pick it up from about half way down it's body. Either from the top or scoop it from underneath, if possible. No way is better that the other in my opinion.

Neither way increased or decrfeased my chance of being tagged.
The problem comes when you hesitate... The Snakes can sense this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back