International Reptile Exportation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sd1981

Reaction score
We have some of the most amazing reptiles in the world here in Australia. Does anyone know why we can't export our Captive Bred reptiles overseas? (Obviously with a good quarantine process in place and regulation from registered breeders etc, why not??) with so many overseas breeders using such a small gene pool of our exported Fauna, you would think, if done legally, would be good for our herpetological reputation worldwide as well, not after importation of exotics... I'm not trying to start arguments, just curious that's all...

I think we can't export captive bred animals to protect our wild stocks. I think it is too hard to police whether the animal was captive bred or wild caught. Not sure on this but that is what I think.

what Australian reptiles don't they actually have overseas that would be worth exporting??

I've always wondered why you can export as well.

I have a pure jcp. I was lucky. The breeder I bought it from sold it to me for a very respectable price because it was "pure". Nobody wants them unless they are jags or high yellows or the like.

Its impossible to find Aussie frillies or red ackies here in the states.

I would think that if its from a breeder, with a license to sell, there shouldn't be a problem to export to the states.

Now, knowing us yanks, all it would do is give us more reptiles to muck up the gene pool. Sad but true.

I live vicariously through all y'all!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

what Australian reptiles don't they actually have overseas that would be worth exporting??
I think the OP is talking about widening the gene pool overseas and not introducing new species.

There are that many Australian reptiles readily available overseas and the costs of doing it would not be viable. The prices of reptiles overseas are ridiculously low compared to Australia.

Too hard to police, if you have a big enough collection it would be very easy to launder wild caught animals through it. Nobody comes around to count the number of eggs laid or hatched so it would be easy to fudge the numbers especially if good money was to be made.

I think the OP is talking about widening the gene pool overseas and not introducing new species.

Yeah, I was looking at the gene pool but also, there are plenty of people over in the US who are after locale specific specimens and also some of the monitors that we have over here... I guess that Bigjoediver has hit it on the head with dodgy buggers poaching wild caught specimens and laundering through their larger collections... I hadn't thought of that...

Yeah, I was looking at the gene pool but also, there are plenty of people over in the US who are after locale specific specimens and also some of the monitors that we have over here... I guess that Bigjoediver has hit it on the head with dodgy buggers poaching wild caught specimens and laundering through their larger collections... I hadn't thought of that...
Yeah that is what I thought in my first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back