DOA Rodents

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danish

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Gday all, Just wondering if anyone on here gets rodents from DOA,i normally do but there site says they have no stock,i have emailed them and called them with no response,has anyone had contact with them or know whats happening with them? Thanks in advance. Dane

I used to order from DOA, but now breed my own, he probably just isn't monitoring the site whilst he grows back stock, depending on where you are located there are several rodent breeders on this site that i'm sure would be most happy to help out with any food shortages

I am not sure what DOA are up to. Several weeks (actually a couple of months ago) I enquired about a particular size that was out of stock on their website and got a return email saying they will have them back in stock by the end of the week.

By the end of the week they had taken their entire 'store' page down and it has been down ever since.

I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago and there was a response from a member saying he had been talking to them and they were re-building stock and would be back online in about 6 weeks or so. If this is the case they should be back within the next week or two, but it is concerning that they are not responding to email or calls........maybe they are not operating? I know the season has been bad for rodent breeding and run stocks low, but I would have thought they would still answer enquiries.

I ended up finding an alternate supplier locally....I am able to get product from the larger operations but to get supplies from them I need to order in bulk, and I just don't have the demand to be able to do it with my animals, and don't know enough others locally to make it worthwhile.

I would suggest making a few other enquiries and getting yourself another supplier.....Even if DOA come back online there is no assurance that they won't go offline for a couple of months again in the future. If you know any other keepers in your area, have a chat to them - often they know people locally who breed their own and might be prepared to sell you a few in the meantime.

Yes I have been In contact with DOA apparently they completly depleted there rat supply and now building up stocks

I emailed them 2 weeks ago and had a reply from Tony within minutes. The reply was:

Hey Paul,
We are making a lot of changes one of which is increasing our breeding colonysize. Rats will become available in 6-8 weeks.

I assume they will have supplies in 4-6 weeks from now.

Thanks a lot for the response everyone,will give it a few more weeks.

It takes a tremendous amount of time to attend to enquiries particularly if they are for only a couple of packs. That time becomes a cost and most rodent breeders discover that they have to pass those costs on to remain viable. It takes much the same time to administratively attend to a $50 order as it does a $5000 order so the long term viability of selling small quantities at wholesale prices just isn't there. Added to that, if successful as a rodent breeder expands so does turnover which then reaches the threshold for gst. Eventually businesses reach a size where they cannot fly under the radar and so incurr all the costs and taxes associated with operating a business. Costs increase substantially when growing from a backyard bussiness to the larger operation required to achieve reliability.
You should find that supply increases from now through winter, which is the chance to fill the larder or work out long term arrangements with a reliable supplier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to find a whole different supplier they have been out so long :( I contacted them 3 months ago asking when they'd be back (They said 2 weeks)....guess not. Oh well as wokka said it takes time. And they'll need a large stock to be able to keep up with demands :)

I had to find a whole different supplier they have been out so long :( I contacted them 3 months ago asking when they'd be back (They said 2 weeks)....guess not. Oh well as wokka said it takes time. And they'll need a large stock to be able to keep up with demands :)
A third party involved screwed them over, I was also in touch with Tony recently.

It has been a pretty big year in the rat world. Maybe it was the extra heat or maybe it's just the way it was, but stocks were pretty low with a lot of suppliers. I was getting requests for rats from lots of new people I'd never heard of because their usual suppliers were out of stock. I obviously put my regulars first, they all had plenty to feed their snakes this season, but I had to say no to a few people including a couple of zoos with orders just too large for me to manage. It's only in the last week or so that I've built up a bit of stock again.

Often after a year like this, the following season sees a glut of supply because lots of people who usually buy decide that since supply was nasty they'll breed their own. Then they realise how much work and hassle it is to breed rats, and since a few people are doing it the usual suppliers have plenty to go around! :lol: Next season looks likely to be like that.

It has been a pretty big year in the rat world. Maybe it was the extra heat or maybe it's just the way it was, but stocks were pretty low with a lot of suppliers. I was getting requests for rats from lots of new people I'd never heard of because their usual suppliers were out of stock. I obviously put my regulars first, they all had plenty to feed their snakes this season, but I had to say no to a few people including a couple of zoos with orders just too large for me to manage. It's only in the last week or so that I've built up a bit of stock again.

Often after a year like this, the following season sees a glut of supply because lots of people who usually buy decide that since supply was nasty they'll breed their own. Then they realise how much work and hassle it is to breed rats, and since a few people are doing it the usual suppliers have plenty to go around! :lol: Next season looks likely to be like that.

I think a lot of the problem is that many buyers dont have regular suppliers. A lot of buyers do spot deals on the day of whatever is available and cheapest, and then wonder why they get let down. If end users build alliances with breeders it makes it so much easier to co-ordinate supply and demand. It is a two way street! Breeders need to ensure supply is available for end users and not just chase the quickest sale but that incurrs storage cost which needs to be reflecvted in the costs. Some sectors chose to chase the spot market and come and go, whilst others with a longer term view need a dependable outlet and dependable supply to make things work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back