Getting a GTP off the perch

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptileKev81

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have got a GTP which is just over 1.5 years old, and i love her. When it comes time to clean her tub if I have to get her out I will put her into a temporary tub so I can give the tub a good wash. Anyways, every time I do so, it literally takes me ages to get her off the perch and into her old tub again.

I have tried turning the perch vertical, tickling her tail end but she usually doesnt budge. I know their tails are delicate so i never force her, but tonight it took me 45 mins to get her off lol.

Any ideas to get her off quicker?

Cheers
Kev

maybe take the perch out and see if it slides off it?

Thanks for the advice guys.

My perch is removable though i still have trouble. Its a bendable rubber birds perch in my temp tub and she gets a really good grip wrapping her tail end around it a couple times.
I've never tried to force her off, in fear of hurting her tail or spine.
Now that she's not really a hatchy anymore, would i be able to unravel her from the perch without hurting her? That really is my main concern.

Many thanks guys :)

Yes you should be fine, I unravel my hatchy off the perch all the time. Just be sure to be gentle, don't twist or bend the spine where it's not meant to (folding it over itself ect) if you start at the head and lift the snake coil by coil and unravel it like that you should have no problem. When it comes to getting off the tail area, just let the snake crawl on something else (like your arm) and 'tickle' the tail until it lets go of the perch, it should eventually come off (sorry if that didn't make a lot of sense).

They can be delicate, but won't break if you're careful - a 1.5 year old should have some decent size on it and should be adequately developed for you to be a little more firm with it.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)
I'll take it all on board and report back if I have any more problems :D

Cheers
Kev :D

I put my fingers under either side and push it up as a whole from its belly. Usually then wraps its tail on my fingers. They're tail isn't that fragile after the colourchange period I find. Gtps are the same as any other snake once matured. The tail is only fragile when they are really young (under a year old) they can support their entire body weight hanging from it with a rat or prey item just as any other snake. Hope that is of use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back