Bike Suggestions?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I sold my CBR900 when I bought my house but I'm back at the point where I can afford one again and I think it would be a bit of a fuel saver for the commute to work. I've had my heart set on an R6 for a CBR600 for a long time now but I started thinking that if I'm sitting in traffic for ~45 mins each way, a sports bike may not be the most comfortable way to go. So I started thinking maybe something a bit more upright like a naked bike but everything I look at that's around 600cc is learner legal so down on power. So I am looking for suggestions on what else to look for that would be comfortable on longish commutes. Or even for people who own sports bikes, how you find it over longer periods?

Harley Low Riders are great for long distance rides ;)

If you like the r6 mate but don't think the sports position would be overly comfortable, try the XJ6. Not pretty but gets up and running when you want it too.

I recently sold my VFR800 ('07 model). Brilliant commuter, good economy when ridden sensibly, but sings when you get above 7k RPM! Comfy enough to take me and the missus to Eastern Creek, unload the topbox (and the missus), do a Superbike trackday, getting my knee down and scraping off the hero-blobs, then riding back to Canberra.

The perfect bike....I just wasn't riding it more than twice a year because my commute is boring (one corner in 50 mins) and most afternoons I needed to carry a squash bag or a drum.

Harly Davidson all the way have a look at the iron it may convert you from the sports bikes the street bob is pure sex

The. XJ6 is learner legal. I own the fully faired version marketed as an fz6r. It has been derestricted and is now a full powered bike, upright and very comfortable. Having said that its not the most powerful bike even without the restriction. If you had your heart set on a supersport i dont reckon the power would be enough for you. Remember that there are "comfort conversions" for super sports usually advertised in amcn magazine or similar So risers etc can be fitted to an r6 to make it more upright. I'll try post a picture of my bike

Here's a few pics, its got a tail tidy now so it doesnt look so big at the back

Attachments

• IMG_20120612_123930 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20120612_123930 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_20120612_123957 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_20120612_123957 (800x600).jpg
    542.4 KB · Views: 143
Thanks for the input guys and girl. I did really like the look of the FZ6R and the XJ6 but yeah the learner legal thing was what put me off them. I've done a bit of reading and it looks like the unrestricted versions don't have the "L" on the end. You might be right about the power still being low though and I didn't realise you could get these comfort conversions so I might have a look into that as well. That colour scheme is exactly the one I liked most too Sleazy :)

i wouldnt get a tractor(insert harley) unless you want it stolen.....sry to those who actually own a tractor.....they do end up tolen more often than any other tho.....as for a bike m8.... i cant say i didnt own a small one very long before hitting the xj11 and then the ST1100 honda

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I really like the z750's. plenty of power and also comfortable for the vertically challenged.

i also like the fz6n, but the z750 just has that bit more go so wont get bored as quickly. If you are feeling rich the new fz8 wouldn't be a bad option to look at.

Agreed with the fz6n and z750. Could try a er6n or bandit also. Or an 883 for a cruiser. Tough bikes with plenty of power and look awesome but gentle on the pocket

<<<sells motorcycles and found that the z750/800/1000 are awesome commuters and find the vfr800 a tad boring.....best value for money imo is bandit 1250

Triumph Street Triple. 675cc with plenty of go and nice and nimble. Would make a good commuter. Personally I'd go the slightly upspecced R version. The 2013 models look good with the new exhaust.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I neglected to mention, the reason I want to stick to the smaller capacity bikes is that I'm not a very big guy. I always felt like the 900 was too big for me so yeah. I'll look into all of the suggestions here though

I do over 200ks a day in Sydney traffic to and from my shop. I ride the 650r Ninja. Sweet ride, by no means fast in the top end, runs put of sting around 190 but loads of torque and zips up to 120 real nice. Will sit on the freeway all day long at 130. Uses sweet bugger all fuel. I love it. Food for thought. The pic is the day I picked her up. She now has a tail tidy and aftermarket exhaust.

yrygahyv.jpg

Depend or your riding style... If you want something to get to work but hit the hills on the weekend end and get the knee down then The FZR'S are sexy looking and can handle. The KTM DUKES and super dukes also have a good reputation. If you want a cheaper option with all the perks then I even think a motard is an awesome option. They are cheap and comfortable and if you set it up right. You will out brake and out handle most sports bikes. They are also a lot of fun at slower speeds.

What about the Triumph Speed Triple or the smaller Street Triple. Upright with food visual of traffic and good for a join when the road and traffic allows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back