Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ameron

Reaction score
Last April 12, I posted my first Aussie Forum post. I told how last January at a Reptile Expo in the Portland/Vancouver USA area where I live, I became interested in carpet pythons for the first time. My research eventually steered me towards the Childrens group for smaller size & placid temperament. Four days later I found a local dealer with a 2009 male Spotted Python that I eagerly bought for $125. (Good price, I thought.)

My Spotted has been here almost 3 months and I’m very pleased with his behavior. He handles very well, and usually eats well. I feed live (please don’t report me to the Central Scrutinizer!) and allow him to stalk normally in his 55-gallon, naturalistic vivarium.

The only time he has ever bitten me was a one-time instance in the dining room while retrieving him from under a large dresser. I had made much noise removing drawers to find him. In an awkward moment for us both, he formed the S pose and I knew that he would strike. I extended my hand anyway to get it over with and proceed with pick-up. It hasn’t happened since; he’s usually quite predictable.

I handle frequently and enjoy interacting with him on his terms. When weather permits, I take him outside for highly supervised exercise in the yard or on shrubs or trees where I have previously checked the area for holes or any danger. I’m looking forward to more discovery time together later this spring & summer.

(Our yard is a heavily vegetated, quiet acre within city limits, back from the rode with vacant lots on two sides. We have garter snakes, frogs, salamanders, opossums, raccoons, rabbits and many birds.:))

Below is a description of my 55-gallon Vivarium. I have it setup so that the heated area is in the front, center for best viewing. Denser vegetation & hide spots are to the sides.

Features: Two hollow tree stumps, central rocky area with under-tank mat heated rock, high climbing arch, covered pool, three levels of usable space: ground, middle, canopy. Corners have the most foliage; the center basking area is the most open. Cave is formed by covered pool & wall perimeter which cover 33% of the biome. At the base of the pool is a cool, circular hide spot filling the entire corner.
Hide spots: Three: two at cooler corners (one behind soak pool & Kilgore rock); one in warmer center.
Rocks: Eight: Medford layered, Hidden Valley lava, Three Forks ridge, Cottonwood Creek brown, Three Forks flat, Catlow Valley, Kilgore, Steens Mountain.
Branches: Eight: uniformly high forming an even arch across the biome.
Driftwood: Wind River grotto, Hidden Valley burned root, two sagebrush portions.
Plants: Nine fake species, two live species (moss & lichens).

Below is my Flicker link for recent photos. Mostly vivarium shots, I don’t have many good shots of the snake yet. Forgive the poor quality of the .avi film; it was my first ever made, and I got somewhat silly:

Flickr: Options 2010's Photostream

I’m quite enjoying my new exploration & discoveries as I cross over the frontier from Colubrid land into Python territory.

Ever forward!!

1.0 Antaresia maculosa
0.1 Pantherophis guttatus (Carolina)
1.0 Elaphe schrencki

That's a beautiful setup. A veritable palace for a Spotted :)
I'm not a huge fan of Antaresia, we have 3, but as my interest in the hobby grows I'm leaning more towards "big, bite-your-face-off" type snakes (I have a very cranky Olive and next on the list is a scrubby); but that was an informative and well-written post.

The only thing I disagree with is that you feed live as I think in most cases it's not necessary, but to each their own. :)

Vancouver, Western Australia.

Just jokes.
Setup sounds good.

All sounds great! I'm with disintegratus on not live feeding. F/T(Frozen/Thawed) is much cheaper and much safer for the snake too :) Live animals can bite/scratch your snake and could cause infections, but otherwise your spotted will absolutely love it in there :D

Good Point!

We all see the limits of the world within our scope of vision. How region-specific that can be.

In my part of the world, the abbreviation WA is for Washington state.
In your part of the world, Western Australia.

I didn't even think of that when I posted. It will be awkward for me to "catch up" with the rest of you when I try to think in terms of meters & centigrade, not feet & Fahrenheit.

(A warm day in the 30s?? Yikes!!)

Please be patient with this American. I am not typical, I can critically think, I don't think that I have the right to send troops to your region to occupy you and change your leadership, and I'm actually fit & in-shape at age 53.

Ever forward!

We all see the limits of the world within our scope of vision. How region-specific that can be.

In my part of the world, the abbreviation WA is for Washington state.
In your part of the world, Western Australia.

I didn't even think of that when I posted. It will be awkward for me to "catch up" with the rest of you when I try to think in terms of meters & centigrade, not feet & Fahrenheit.

(A warm day in the 30s?? Yikes!!)

Please be patient with this American. I am not typical, I can critically think, I don't think that I have the right to send troops to your region to occupy you and change your leadership, and I'm actually fit & in-shape at age 53.

Ever forward!

I'm also one of the "yanks" that post here. When I see "...turn your heat up to 26", I think to myself Wth, turn it up more. Then I remember its all metric and non-imperial over there lol. Google gets a work out from me!

Nice set up mate. I love my colubrids but have really taken a fancy to the Aussie fauna. I just wish they were easier to get here in the states. I've been looking for a reasonably priced female woma, red ackie and a pure jcp for months now. Bhp's are also kinda hard to find, unless you want to pony up $1000+. Makes me sad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back