Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junglelove

Reaction score
just putting it out there, what are peoples thoughts on feeding a snake while it is opaque?

I have always offered my snakes a feed while they are opaque and they always feed i have done so for the last 6yrs and never had a problem.

I've done it but don't make a habit of it. Recently fed one of my diamonds that was about to shed without realising, the skin got stuck at the bulge and I had to help it off.

My Snakes never usually take food when their eyes are blue.
However, I have had my Jungle take a Hopper Rat and then shed a few hours later.
Fortunately the shed came off in one piece. I doubt it would of if the meal was any bigger though.

Depends on the snake. Some I know won't even look at food while in slough mode, while some others (not that I'm thinking of my psychotic MD at all) would probably stop what they were doing halfway through crawling out of their old skin to get a feed. I have fed at various stages of shedding and so far the worst that's happened is a shed that's in pieces (usually torn in half around where the bulge would be :))

Some will eat some won't. Never had an issue feeding a snake in shed.

Only 2 of mine will eat while shedding, a jungle and a chondro - I feed both of them even if they are shedding and have no problems.

I don't usually see my bredli leading up to a shed they are in their hides but my diamond will eat no problems and so will my bhp

thanks for your input. ive never had a problem with the she braking at the bulge. someone told me it just adds more stress to the animal but wouldnt it not be helpful by having more energy from he food intake?

only once have i fed while in shed mode and that was when my coastal was tiny and i had no clue he was about to! lol i had placed the pinky in his enclosure when no sooner i looked up and there he was with the skin peeled back off his head having a feed! lol i was like oh crap! but he gobbled it up and continued shedding with no dramas. I dont feed him for 2-3 weeks around shed mode normally it was a one off for me and by total accident :) these days he hides and doesnt come out to hunt when milky.

Last edited:
I don't usually see my bredli leading up to a shed they are in their hides but my diamond will eat no problems and so will my bhp

bhps would eat if a volcano was erupting 6 inches away.

Same with my woma's they would eat the chrome off a tow hitch

i figure if they are hungry they will eat if it was bad for them thryd leave the meal

i dont even offer during the shedding period mind u he prob wouldnt say no lol.

i figure if they are hungry they will eat if it was bad for them thryd leave the meal

That's not true at all, most snakes would eat a lot more than what's good for them.

I could feed my Gaboons or Cobras, 4/5 times a week and I bet they would eat. But they'd be very unhealthy.

I personally, won't feed a snake in shed. What's the need? It's good to have a rest period for the snake, there are far too many overweight snakes. They're offered far more food than what they thrive on in the wild.

Shedding is also a stressful time, generally snakes in the wild will hide away during this period, and won't actively be hunting. They may eat should a prey item come across their path.

Yes, I know I've used the 'in the wild' argument, but shouldn't we be trying to keep our animals as close to wild conditions as we can?

There's no need to ram food down whilst they're in shed, they aren't going to die from one missed meal, if anything they'll be in better condition.

bhps would eat if a volcano was erupting 6 inches away.
My BHP is the same, she'd eat every day if I let her! She sometimes gets a feed when I don't realise she's ready to shed coz she's in her hide, but she always sheds clean and complete thank crikey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back