Knob-tailed geckos heating and tank size questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok Thanks Thyla, I've got repti-cal which I use for my bluey :) is it ok to house baby's together?

Yes it is okay to keep younger ones together but in saying that, they are prolific breeders and can and will often mate without much effort on your half so be wary of this. I would suggest a few small click clacks for the young but this requires another heat matt I would assume so maybe not.

As Radar said, no UV is required. Also a heat lamp is a silly suggestion. They are nocturnal and it would have to be an infrared one. These geckos don't need over head heating. Just a basking spot without the need of light.
I cover a bit more than 1/3 but less than 1/2 but that's just me.

+1 to Thyla. No green matts. They are also the usual cause of fires that are associated with reptiles. Nor is it good to use heat rocks. Both cause burns.

So pretty much:
sand
tank
heat matt (whatever size suits the enclosure size)
cheap eBay thermostat
Sloped sand (2 or so cm of dry sand on warm side, 8-10 cm moist sand (for burrows) on cool side. Not sure on exact measurements but should matter hugely.
mist them occasionally for drinking (they lick the water of the tub or themselves, and keep the cool side moist)

and FOOD!!!! Yay!

feel free to ask any more question.

is the sloped sand a must? any benefits from sloped to just level all round

Dont trust the pet shops heat mats are fine as long as you only let it take up 1/3 of the tub so the gecko has a hot and cold side i cant remeber exactly what temps for a knob tail but if you google it im sure you will find out and just buy a thermo and put one cold side one hot and make sure the temp is how its suppost to be also uv is not needed for knob tails hope this helps WomaG :) and good luck i hope to be getting some myself soon! :)

Also if you are looking to get a heat mat i have a perfect one for you that you can buy online that has a temerostat connected to it ill link it tomorrow :)

Ok Thanks Thyla, I've got repti-cal which I use for my bluey :) is it ok to house baby's together?
Hatchies are alright to house together. Once they get a few months old, I like to separate them. I've had two small geckos in the same enclosure before and one ended up losing his tail (I'm presuming the sibling mistook it for food and bit it off).

is the sloped sand a must? any benefits from sloped to just level all round
Leveled sand is fine for these geckos. Sloped moist sand is required if you have a gravid female so she can dig a burrow and lay eggs.

I have another question, I've got some marbled geckos in a 20 gallon fish tank with no heating at all. So can knob-tails or thick-tails have no heating? Or they have to?

Keep your thick tails around 23-27 warm hide/end.
Knob-Tails around 30-32 warm hide/end
The rest of the enclosures can remain at room temperature.
So it depends how your temps are and where you are located.
During the warmer months I wouldn't use heating but in the cooler months I would.

Thanks for that Tobe, is the care the same with knob-tails n thick tails? like damp sand as substrate and do thick tails make tunnels?

Thick tailed geckos dont seem to burrow, but they do like too dig a bit. I have mine on 2-5cm of sand and no heating (adelaide), misting half of enclosure once a week/fortnight.

Rick

Ah sorry, being a 90x45cm floor space i would only mist 1/3-1/4 of it. Im using 30ltr storemates and their only about 60x45.

Rick

Thanks for that rick your info has been very helpful, I kinda like the thick-tails a bit better, they seem a bit easier to care for.

Very simple to care for and beatiful creatures. Red sand (landscaping yard) as substrate and a couple teracotta pot plant saucers (round 13cm). Love watching them hunt or shed, some nice coloured ones around aswell.

Rick

My Friends' friend has some thick-tails he lives in Melbourne and doesn't have a heat mat says 'there to dangerous and fail' so he uses a basking lamp instead it's connected to a thermostat set to 20-27degrees and he said he's never had any problems heating the tank this way. They are active, eat, shed and do normal things. He told me to just use a basking lamp with a rock or tile under the heat lamp, would it be okay to do this as well, but thick-tails are nocturnal so would the heat lamp light bother them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back