Ceramic light fitting backing plate?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockie_1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has used the 4" ceramic screw in E27 light fittings? If so how did you make your backing plates? I only made a couple using 19mm
Thick pine with a channel in the middle routed into it, then I used a hole saw to cut them out however with a hand held drill it's not the neatest way to do it. But I guess you can just perfect them by hand but I was just wondering if anyone else had any other ideas?

dont really know what your talking about regarding the backing plate ( i assume you mean the piece you are drilling the hole in the mounting it either side ?) but just note that ceramic heat emitters and their holders get extremely hot , more than enough to scorch wood and possible burn under the right circumstances , so it is a good idea to use some cement fibre board ( can find it at bunnings) as a heat buffer , its fire retardant can hold a flame to it without it burning so its pretty good stuff

I use teflon sheet.
How much is the teflon and how thick is it? Also I am not sure how the teflon works, my reasoning for this is that they use teflon to coat fry pans and it will conduct the heat from the base to the food. Do you know the science behind it at all?

6mm sheet, heat resistant to 260C.
Don't know what its worth I reappropriated it from a workplace.

I know that it is heat resistant as in it will not melt but does it conduct the heat through to the timber? Waste not want not hey.

dont really know what your talking about regarding the backing plate ( i assume you mean the piece you are drilling the hole in the mounting it either side ?) but just note that ceramic heat emitters and their holders get extremely hot , more than enough to scorch wood and possible burn under the right circumstances , so it is a good idea to use some cement fibre board ( can find it at bunnings) as a heat buffer , its fire retardant can hold a flame to it without it burning so its pretty good stuff

Thanks mate I will definitely keep that in mind because I'll ve using heat emitters :) I'm just trying to find a material that's practical and is easy to cut and work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back