woma eggs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peter10

Reaction score
Hi guys..i have 5 woma eggs cooking in my incubator and another due to lay any day now and was wondering how many days they take to hatch at 30.5 degrees and do you guys cut the eggs open at full term or just leave them to hatch naturally..i breed gtps and its common practice to cut their eggs but ive not hatched womas before nor have i heard or seen any info on cutting woma eggs....many thanks Pete.

G'day Pete. Over here I have kept woma's since 1986 and do not incubate that low myself mate. They come from very arid regions and tolerate extremely high temps. I once kept very intensive observations on a maternally incubated clutch with 9 thermometer's with 2sensor probes on each and also used infrared gun and recorded the temps @ 36.6 degrees celcius for the highest and the mother basked each morning and raised her body temps to a max of 41.8 degrees celcius, the clutch were all fertile when laid, 100% hatch rate, nil defects and all left the egg day 54-56. If you incubate them constantly @ 31.7-32.1 artificially, you will have them pip around day 53/54 and hatch 54/55 with the last out by day 56. I'd estimate that at 30.5 they may add another 3 days to my records above, but I've heard of other's going 65 days or more (unsure of temps but i'd guess inaccurate calibration of equipment) so it really depends how accurate your equipment is calibrated, but i'd say less than 60 at 30.5. Hope this helps and best of luck with the incubation. Oh yeah, I've never had to cut aspidites eggs, they are always on schedule and very robust, eager and strong. Manual pipping or "cutting" would be fine also, but not required in my opinion. Cheers Mick

Southern Cross reptiles has some top notch information.

At 31.5C you should expect hatching between 54 and 62 days.

Last edited:
Mick thanks so much for that useful info very intersting..i have 2 incubators and they were both full with gtp eggs at the time i added the woma eggs and thought they would need higher temps but didnt want to adjust because of the gtp eggs already cooking in them..my gtp eggs normally hatch on day 53 so i think my temp gauges are slightly off (not calibrated) but i prefer the slightly cooler temps even though it adds a few days on..my woma collection is starting to grow now so i think i will make up a new incubator to run at those temps..i wont manually pip the eggs either then..thanks again

This is a 3rd generation captive bred RHD Woma from the Tanami Desert, founder dam/sire were wild caught in 1983/84 from both Rockhampton Downs Station and Freeweena Roadhouse, both on the Barkly Tablelands in the Northern Territory.......These were the famous "Rocky" and "Rowena", the first ever woma's recorded to be bred in captivity, occurring in 1989, by the late and great Graeme F. Gow.............Undoubtedly The best pure and documented lineage of reduced patterned woma's in existence and still going strong.

Mick thanks so much for that useful info very intersting..i have 2 incubators and they were both full with gtp eggs at the time i added the woma eggs and thought they would need higher temps but didnt want to adjust because of the gtp eggs already cooking in them..my gtp eggs normally hatch on day 53 so i think my temp gauges are slightly off (not calibrated) but i prefer the slightly cooler temps even though it adds a few days on..my woma collection is starting to grow now so i think i will make up a new incubator to run at those temps..i wont manually pip the eggs either then..thanks again
No worries Pete..........best of luck with your season....be sure to post pic's if you feel like sharing any!

Cheers Wing nut i will check that out i think i came across that site some time ago.

Man Mick that animal is bloody gorgeous hey..thanks for sharing that..ive been lurking on and off this site for sometime now trying to find out what my womas are but here in the UK they come from all over Europe ,Canada and USA and so on so they all seem to be so mixed bred its such a pitty..the womas you guys have seem so much more pure and you can tell their locales. although i personally love the different morphs too..i will certainly post some pics of the babies if they hatch at a guess i think im on day 47 or so.

Just out of interest how common or rare are womas down there? are they protected?..ive heard all our animals were smuggled out at some stage or another.

Not endangered as a species, they are found over a large range throughout Australia & appearance varies immensely from one location to another, very common in collections all over the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back