Ackie Info and Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpNthusiast

Reaction score
Hi is there anyone out there that can tell me can Ridge-Tailed Monitors be kept outdoors during the warmer months and can they be tamed I've already got my eyes on a couple month old ackies and a 4ft enclosure but I want other people's thought.

i have mine out side now but different temps to what you get i have them in a small pit with lots of rocks covered with dirt / sand and logs so they can get different temps and a large water bowl the pit has a shaded and full sun sections though out the day
they can be tamed but i don't have them for that i like looking at them as they are so dinosaur like haha also the critters like to bite

Mine are all tame, handle them when they're young and as long as you dont trigger a food response they're fine.
You can keep them outside during summer but i would add additional 100watt spotlights as your in melbourne. A 4ft would comfortably house a pair.

4ft is fine for just one also.
Crickets woodies roo mince eggs pinkies all work.

You do NEED to provide a space to burrow?
Or can you just have lots of hides?
I was looking at them also, but my tank has sliding doors so i cant have the substrate very deep, maybe like 80mm at the front and i can slope it up at the back a bit i guess.

Sorry to hijack but looking at getting a trio of hatchlings shortly.

What are recommendations on substrate for ridge tailed monitors at around 1-2 months? I was planning on using a soil/sand mix but a mate told me he lost a monitor that was about that age due to impaction. Seems like most people put them straight onto sand/soil mix, dont want to be doing the wrong thing and most caresheets just say hatchlings to be setup same as adults.

Rick

I believe Rogue5861 that the best substrate to use is red desert sand from your pet shop that is the best stuff so I believe it's fine enough so it won't cause Impaction but that's just me your better off to pm the more advanced keepers.

Yep, was planning to put them straight onto red sand from landscaping yard but thought i would pose the question just incase. Will have 2 basking spots, fake rock background and about 200mm of substrate to play in (1200x700 floor space).

Rick

The floor space is great you can put two in there but yeah anyway sand is good hey does anyone know if they can happily live with bearded dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back