dirty jobs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronhalling

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, watched Dirty jobs downunder the other night and was horrified by some of the statements Mike Rowe made in regards to killing our native snakes ie browns etc, thankfully the snake catcher from Adelaide that was with him kept telling him how illegal it was to kill them but it did not seem to make any difference to Mike Rowe as he made the same statement on numerous occasions, does anyone else find it strange that the show was not vetted to remove the statements regarding killing venomous snakes??? alot of people watch the show and could get the wrong idea.............................Ron

i missed it unfortunately. What was the job? Really odd that he/they would make such statements and suggest people do something illegal.

I was pretty annoyed that he repeated it on multiple occasions and surprised that the snake catcher didn't mention that our snakes are an integral part of the Australian ecosystem (not to mention that they were here first). If it was a freaking koala Mike Rowe wouldn't have said that. For an american show, it was still dramatised but not nearly as much as I had expected. Still, he could've dealt with it better - the first time he was told it was illegal he could have enquired (why, what role they play here etc) so as to educated himself and the public instead of spreading his narrow-minded negative view of our snakes.

I think we should all email the makers of the show and complain or complain on their facebook site to really make a difference rather than just voicing our opinions on a reptile forum to people with like minds. I have posted on the facebook site.

Last edited:
I saw the shorts for the down under dirty job series and I knew he'd be like this. That's mike Rowe for you. He is a short-sighted guy.

it is sad when we hear about these things being displayed by the media and even just your day to day people thinking the same thing. it is sad that most people aren't informed about snakes and just know that little bit more to respect them. although in saying this, No ones really doing anything about it. sure some of us inform our friends and family that they should not kill snakes and have someone relocate it, but we need to do something big about it if we want it to stop...

i missed it unfortunately. What was the job? Really odd that he/they would make such statements and suggest people do something illegal.
mike worked with ian renton of snake away services in adelaide catching snakes and learning how to catch a common brown snake, well thats the basic of that episode:)

yea i saw that too, it would give people the idea to kill the browns, but thats probably what he sees people doing in america :( its bad enough as it is over here!

It's an American show for an American audience. You have to remember that.
In most places in America where venomous snakes are found there is a generations long culture of kill on site. That is their way.
As offensive and narrow minded as it may be to us here, there it is completely ingrained and culturally acceptable for him to say what he said.
Do I agree with it - hell no! But you have to realize the cultural differences and the context of which it was said which is completely different from our understanding.
It's not up to Mike Rowe or the producers of the show as to where it's aired, or to what audience.

You can argue that he has a responsibility to educate, but this is pure American entertainment tv, not exactly Attenborough.

Have a think about things based on cultures and perspectives before flying off the handle in such reactionary ways...

In most places in America where venomous snakes are found there is a generations long culture of kill on site. That is their way.
As offensive and narrow minded as it may be to us here, there it is completely ingrained and culturally acceptable for him to say what he said.
Do I agree with it - hell no! But you have to realize the cultural differences and the context of which it was said which is completely different from our understanding.
It's not up to Mike Rowe or the producers of the show as to where it's aired, or to what audience.

You can argue that he has a responsibility to educate, but this is pure American entertainment tv, not exactly Attenborough.

Have a think about things based on cultures and perspectives before flying off the handle in such reactionary ways...

I couldn't agree more. I get so tired of hearing "The only good snake is a dead one". I know my girlfriend, her brother and myself can not change the way that we Americans think, but we have made small steps in helping.

We have all received phone calls and text messages asking what kind of snake is this and what should we do with it. 90% of the time its our common black ratsnake. We just ask where its at and if its in the house/garage. Most of the time we just tell them to leave it be and it will go away.

About the show, Mike Rowe is a brilliant guy but, it seems that he "acts" that way for ratings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I'm an American and can say there are just as many people here who feel the same way about the ignorant folks that kill snakes on sight because.. it's a snake. I'm sure you all have just as many ignorant people in Australia that have the same belief to kill snakes on sight. Yes we all have ignorant people everywhere on this earth, so we should try and educate them.
It's the ignorant people that have children and teach their children the same things, so we have to break that cycle. To do that, teaching a child is the best way. So get out and educate the kids and... parents..if possible. The reptile community here also fights these stupid shows on TV as well. They spew tons of misinformation on these animals and make us keepers look like total nut jobs. The media has been our worst enemy here in the US.

Its basically a comedy show . I have heard worse from local comedians . Didnt hear any complaints about " Bear Grills " killing and eating a water python in Qld . Of course he was starving with only his camera crew and catering truck to help him .

Its basically a comedy show . I have heard worse from local comedians . Didnt hear any complaints about " Bear Grills " killing and eating a water python in Qld . Of course he was starving with only his camera crew and catering truck to help him .
I'm pretty sure it was a file snake.

he ate the water python, there you go... that's why there wasn't a big fuss? that is how the food chain works stronger eats weaker... as long as he ate it there is no problem, there was probably a water python that ate a cane toad and died or got attacked by a feral cat and died. thats the real problem.

I would not call voicing your objection to promoting or even encouraging illegal actions in Australia “reactionary” or “flying off the handle”. I would classify it as a “considered’ and law-abiding response” by any civic minded individual, regardless of their affinity or otherwise for snakes. If an Australian produced TV show were to promote Australians engaged in illegal activities when in the US, I have little doubt there would be objections expressed by US citizens and higher echelons.

I have taken your advice and had a think about “cultures and perspectives”. Rattlesnakes Roundups come immediately to mind, as do the original reasons for Texas and several other mid-west states holding them in the first place. Following conservation concerns with some, the snakes are released back to the wild. The largest roundup attracts 30,000 to 40,000 visitors each year. At same time Steve Irwin comes to mind. He extolled a philosophy of observe, enjoy and let it go on its way, irrespective of whether dangerously venomous or otherwise. He had an American audience that numbered in the millions and they just could not get enough of him. So if you are going to generalise, which is the more representative alternative?

Blue

I would not call voicing your objection to promoting or even encouraging illegal actions in Australia “reactionary” or “flying off the handle”. I would classify it as a “considered’ and law-abiding response” by any civic minded individual, regardless of their affinity or otherwise for snakes. If an Australian produced TV show were to promote Australians engaged in illegal activities when in the US, I have little doubt there would be objections expressed by US citizens and higher echelons.

I have taken your advice and had a think about “cultures and perspectives”. Rattlesnakes Roundups come immediately to mind, as do the original reasons for Texas and several other mid-west states holding them in the first place. Following conservation concerns with some, the snakes are released back to the wild. The largest roundup attracts 30,000 to 40,000 visitors each year. At same time Steve Irwin comes to mind. He extolled a philosophy of observe, enjoy and let it go on its way, irrespective of whether dangerously venomous or otherwise. He had an American audience that numbered in the millions and they just could not get enough of him. So if you are going to generalise, which is the more representative alternative?

Blue

Thanks Blue, that is exactly the reason i started this thread, Ian Renton told Mike Rowe that all the snakes caught were relocated, but still Mike Rowe continued with his diatribe saying he could not see the sense of capturing a deadly snake in 1 area to make it safe and then letting it go in another area thereby making it unsafe, i my humble opinion Ian should have pushed the point of consevation more (as Steve Irwin did), at 1 point when the area were the browns were being released was shown Mike Rowe noticed a nice creek in the vicinity and again voiced his dissaproval about releasing the snakes in an area where kids might like to swim and play, i agree with Badsville's statement about it being purely for entertainment and it is mostly for the American audience "BUT" the show has a very large Australian audience as well and i feel Mike Rowe's statements just reinforces the only good snake is a dead snake mentality to those who already have that mindset, in their mind a big star like Mike Rowe says it is so, so it must be right......................................Ron

To be fair, this kind of drivel doesn't just happen on TV to reptile-related things. I cringe almost every time I see a dog on a show on TV, 9/10 they are encouraging irresponsible pet ownership at least. Same goes for once when I saw a ferret on some kind of drama show: they did absolutely nothing to quell the myth that they're horrid viscious bitey things.
Same goes for pretty much everything. Everything is dramatised, which is not in itself a bad thing, but it is possible to do it in such a way that does not promote negative ideas about what is being protrayed. They're just too lazy/don't care enough to do it that way unfortunately.

It is unfortunate that watching people kill animals is considered entertainment. Many people think participating in killing wild animals is entertainment be it roos dogs or rabbits. Peoples values and morals vary. Generally on this forum reptiles are sacrasant, but i have seen many threads on aps about the entertainment the posters get from killing other, non reptile, wild animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
The logical flaws in Mike Rowe’s statements show an absolute ignorance of nature. Based his rationale, you would need to remove anything dangerously venomous. So that includes Black Snakes, Tigers, Copperheads, Death Adders or whatever dangerous vens are found in the area. But don’t stop there, for you also need to get rid of the Funnel Web and Red-backed Spiders. You can leave the centipedes and scorpions, for while they give a nasty bite they are not deadly. Same for a range of other spiders. However, bees, wasps and bull ants have to go, due to danger allergic reactions. He might also want to consider ridding the areas of ticks. When you start sanitising nature, it is no longer natural! However, there a solution – sanitised and relatively safe. It called the local municipal swimming pool.

I spent the greater part of my childhood weekends down the local creek and bushland or a little further afield, chasing herps and climbing trees and checking bird’s nests, chasing eels and fish with our bare hands and generally checking out anything that moved. I might have seen one or tail ends of decent sized vens in all those years. Once my interests turned to include larger venomous snakes, it required a very set of approaches to locate them. Unfortunately too many movies show snakes crawling into someone towel while they are running around frolicking in the water. Not exactly an accurate refection of reality but unfortunately the like of Mike Rowe do not have the experience, knowledge or understanding to distinguish between fact and fantasy in this respect. So they blithely promulgate the fallacy without regard to verification or the mis-education of others.

Blue

The logical flaws in Mike Rowe’s statements show an absolute ignorance of nature. Based his rationale, you would need to remove anything dangerously venomous. So that includes Black Snakes, Tigers, Copperheads, Death Adders or whatever dangerous vens are found in the area. But don’t stop there, for you also need to get rid of the Funnel Web and Red-backed Spiders. You can leave the centipedes and scorpions, for while they give a nasty bite they are not deadly. Same for a range of other spiders. However, bees, wasps and bull ants have to go, due to danger allergic reactions. He might also want to consider ridding the areas of ticks. When you start sanitising nature, it is no longer natural! However, there a solution – sanitised and relatively safe. It called the local municipal swimming pool.

I spent the greater part of my childhood weekends down the local creek and bushland or a little further afield, chasing herps and climbing trees and checking bird’s nests, chasing eels and fish with our bare hands and generally checking out anything that moved. I might have seen one or tail ends of decent sized vens in all those years. Once my interests turned to include larger venomous snakes, it required a very set of approaches to locate them. Unfortunately too many movies show snakes crawling into someone towel while they are running around frolicking in the water. Not exactly an accurate refection of reality but unfortunately the like of Mike Rowe do not have the experience, knowledge or understanding to distinguish between fact and fantasy in this respect. So they blithely promulgate the fallacy without regard to verification or the mis-education of others.

Blue

I thought people could also have an anaphylactic reaction to scorpions as well? Not sure of this fact but I was reading a thread on APS where a new scorpion keeper was stung by a flinders range scorpion and wanted to know if he could die, another more experienced keeper told the poster only from a anaphylactic reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back