Knob-tailed geckos heating and tank size questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Petshops sell red sand 20kg for like $50. Alot cheaper to go to a landscape place as their is no brand name red sand.

Rick

So my checklist is: Exo terra terrarium (90x45x45) LxDxH, Exo terra heat mat, Exo terra digital thermometer, thermostat, red desert sand, x2 hides, a water bowl, fake plant, a piece of driftwood, and 2 thick-tails, oh and my licence.
What do u think guys?

For thicktails you dont really need heating , but a low wattage heat mat wont hurt , sand will not need to be deeper in one end as they do not borrow , red desert sand is not essential either so save your money and buy bunnings play sand ...
A 900x450x450 exo is a massive over kill for a few thickies , you could keep them in some thing a third that size ...

What is an appropriate wattage for the heat mat? Can I ask whats wrong with the size of the tank? I thought that bigger was better. Thanks dickykeen

is it still ok if I use the red desert sand? as I love the look of it, but doesn't sand course impaction?

I've been looking around on the net and in some books I've got lying around, but can't find any information on how big Thick-Tails can grow, so how big can/do they get, with tail?

So my checklist is: Exo terra terrarium (90x45x45) LxDxH, Exo terra heat mat, Exo terra digital thermometer, thermostat, red desert sand, x2 hides, a water bowl, fake plant, a piece of driftwood, and 2 thick-tails, oh and my licence.
What do u think guys? Just making sure I'm purchasing the right things

Do you already own the tank? As said a smaller tank will help then find their food alot easier and probably suit them better, maybe a 60x45x45 exoterra.

Rick

What do u think guys? Just making sure I'm purchasing the right things

I think you should start listening to what people are telling you ;)
900x450x450 is massive for a pair of thicktails .... seriously you are wasting your money on some thing that big , get a 45x45x30H or even a 30x30x30 would do for a pair.

I will feed them in a separate container to avoid impaction of sand and so they can find there food easily. The reason I'm paying a bit so I don't need to buy another tank if they get bigger. Oh yeah the thick-tails I'm getting are sub-adults to adults.

Its not a beardie, shouldnt be handling it for feeding. Geckos are mostly a display animal, handling just for inspections of condition and sheds.

They will not get impaction on sand, this is what they live on. Mine were on sand after 3 days of hatching, never had any issues. Add a bit of water to the sand then pack it down if ya worried, wait for it to dry off a bit before you add geckos.

Rick

Yep. I had 5 juvis in a tub and only now seperating them now as i had 3 males that started to show. They were feed in their tub and i only had to seperate one for 1 week as he was a little slow, their about 10 months old.

Just sold off 2 males and a female from this group.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back