How Do I Report Poor Care?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markannab

Reaction score
Hi

I've come across someone who isn't looking after their snakes properly. Their actions have lead to at least one serious injury. Their response to the injury has lead, in turn, to a decision which will eventually lead to the snakes' death. I don't know if the injury is even being treated properly to stop infection. There have been several problems over the months all due to lack of knowledge and lack of true interest. Circumstances are such that I feel I can't approach them personally and achieve any kind of result. I'd like to explain the details here but they may be a member with a username I don't recognize.

I wonder what I can do about it? National Parks officers, if they visited, would likely not have knowledge of snake keeping and fail to see the problems in front of them. Any suggestions?

Why don't you tell the offenders yourself what you feel about what there doing, maybe they think they are doing there best for the animal or animals in question..I say this because some people think there doing the best but make things much worse wether it be due to poor knowledge , lack of money for a vet or whatever the reason...I would confront them first and the Authorities second..whatever you decide you won't be flavor of the month lol..good luck all the same..

The reason why I can't confront them or let them know it's me who has reported them is due to certain relationships. One of their trusted friends told me on the quiet. If I speak up, it puts them in a very awkward position. So an anonymous tip-off to RSPCA may be the necessary course.

Thanks.

Knock on the door and say I hear you might need a hand with your snake, then take it from there. The world is full of situations that are all the worse because neghbours didn't want to get involved. Often it only takes someone to jiggle their conscience and people end up doing the right thing by themselves. Maybe an extra hand or a bit of experience is all they need.

I think Warrick has the right approach. Does the person know the connection between you and the trusted person?

Yes, they do know the connection very well. And for reasons beyond what I can write here, there is a huge amount to be lost if I mess things up.

I've been communicating via private message with a forum user who has been giving advice. In short, RSPCA won't help without me personally being an eye witnesses and have suggested National Parks. I'll try but think it'll be a dead end. Otherwise, I can call in and say I'm there to see his new snakes. That will allow me to "discover" what's going on and give some strong thoughts.

Yes, they do know the connection very well. And for reasons beyond what I can write here, there is a huge amount to be lost if I mess things up.

I've been communicating via private message with a forum user who has been giving advice. In short, RSPCA won't help without me personally being an eye witnesses and have suggested National Parks. I'll try but think it'll be a dead end. Otherwise, I can call in and say I'm there to see his new snakes. That will allow me to "discover" what's going on and give some strong thoughts.
Maybe suggest to the friend that is giving you the inside information to speak up to the person. Just imagine if you do the sneaky approach and the person is prosecuted and has their snakes taken then the secret comes out how much worse it will be. I think there is a lot of merit in honesty.

It sounds like your friend is fairly close with the person in question so what I would do is to organise with your friend to "pop in for a random visit as you two were passing by" or something similar.
then just casually bring up a conversation that you heard they were into reptiles and ask to see them. (I'm guessing since they either don't have the knowledge or simply don't care about quarantine, they won't mind showing you)

then that way you can just say your observations about what they are doing wrong/ right and offer to help or give advise etc.

Yes, I believe I'll do a version of that. I can call in on my own. He knows I have snakes and, though I barely know him, he extended an invitation months ago to have a look at his snakes which I haven't done. So I can take him up on that offer. Thanks for everyone's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back