Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AntaresiaFreak13

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I just found out that in America GTPS go for as little as $400 thats really cheap
the question is do you think we should have that sort of price???

I just found out that in America GTPS go for as little as $400 thats really cheap
the question is do you think we should have that sort of price???
Well why dont YOU buy a breeding pair of GTP's and sell the hatchies for that then you can tell the story 1st hand instead of picking out part of the story.....solar 17

i doubt they will drop much more here. the lowest Ive seen is $700 and that was a one off. the rest range from $1000-$4000 dupending. a snake is worth what someone will pay for it. that's the bottom line.

but the low price over there would be the market. think about it. the market of people buying snakes there would be 15 times that of Australia. just as car parts are cheaper there, clothing, houses, everything. its not that they are a cheap snake its that America has a crappy economy right now and that's just what they are worth. prices drop with competition. just as the price has dropped here. 15 years ago they were $10k if not more. as more people breed them the market gets flooded and why pay $10k when the fellah down the road is offering the same for $5k for a quick sale.. just keeps being cut as breeders see fit.

i got offered one in bali for around $45.

Well why dont YOU buy a breeding pair of GTP's and sell the hatchies for that then you can tell the story 1st hand instead of picking out part of the story.....solar 17

couldnt agree more. even at 1000 they are worth every penny. i would love to know if they were pure??? highly doubt it.
you get what you pay for. simple as that.

couldnt agree more. even at 1000 they are worth every penny. i would love to know if they were pure??? highly doubt it.
you get what you pay for. simple as that.
what would they be crossed with , im assuming some sort of carpet but wouldnt that show in the offspring ? being that their mainly green when mature with little patterning nothing like any of the other morelia :)

One of the main reasons why America has such cheap reptiles compared to us is that they can import from virtually any country in the world ......now do we really want this scenario considering that according to US. Fish & Game reports 40 species are in plague numbers in the Southern US states that aren't native to the US...... solar 17 Baden

by pure i mean aussie or biak or aru. etc. locality. sorry the jacks is goin down a little to well tonight!

i'm happy to pay $1000 for 1 GTP or more if need be, depending on locality and what parents look like i'd even pay $2000 for a hatchie if it was what i wanted.

i plan on buying 2 this year and i am looking at spending over $2500 for 2 hatchies and i am happy with that price. remember you pay for what you want and quality.

the cheapest GTP i have seen for sale was $650 and it had a deformity and was not on licence.

To be honest I don't really want to see their price drop much lower. I'm not a breeder (one day I hope), just an avid buyer, so I have no vested interest in this right now. I like that they are becoming more accessible so more people can afford to experience how great these animals are but at the same time we have to acknowledge that they are a bit more fiddly to keep, I don't want to see them so cheap that they become disposable.

If I were breeding them and saw they were going for bog standard carpet prices, I'd stop breeding them or I'd give them away to friends. The truth is that most people will be more careful with an animal they can't afford to see die. Knowing how special greens are, as a breeder, it would twist my insides to think they were suffering so in a way I think their price tag protects them a bit and if that is the case it should stay that way.

Before anyone makes the argument that poor keepers can take as much care of their animals as rich keepers, I'm not arguing with you, I agree, the point I'm making is that if you pay a lot for something it's gonna hurt in more than one way if it dies, so most people will show more respect to the expensive thing. Most, not all.

Also a lot of the breeders bought these animals when they demanded a much higher price tag, they risked big money on them, they shouldn't have to give the babies away. Don't like it? risk a bit of your own money and lead by example ;)

Not attacking anyone, just my thoughts.

The way the price will drop is if the availability increase. The more snakes available compared to the number of customer means people will drop the price to compete.In my opinion I am not sure if this will be the case in Australia for a while because Australian keepers see them as one of the harder species to keep and possibly breed.

once anyone has the chance to hold a gtp you can see why they are worth the money.. i had the chance to look after one once.. even though it died the snake was magical and its has been set(in my mind) as the one python that when im ready to reduce my collection and have just on python. The GTP will be it. They really are that special.. i have a photo or 2 of me holding her.. she really was a star :)

re reading that i thought i should outline that the python was in my care because she was very sick, in the end i had her euthed at the vet.. there is a thread somewhere.. lol not because of my poor husbandry.. thought id add that.

I see the prices we have over here as being fair. It will probably be another 10 years+ before we see any sort of drop in pricing - the cheapest I've seen is $800 for a sorong hatchy. In a bit over a year I plan to get a pair of biak hatchys and am looking at paying $3k+ for them and probably another grand, if not more, on all the equipment to make sure they are living in a great environment.

For such a beautiful snake I would dread the day they are being sold for under $500, as then there is more of a chance for them to be released, either by accident or on purpose, back into the wild in a geographical range that is insufficient of their needs and that would ultimately kill them. Especially considering that they are less resilient than a lot of other species and have certain essential environmental needs that cannot be supplied in most regions of Australia.

They also sell GTP's in America for thousands of dollars. It all comes down to supply, demand & quality of the stock. How many Americans breed Aussie GTP's? ;)

Designer or proven lineage stock animals will always fetch a higher price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back