Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the prices we have over here as being fair. It will probably be another 10 years+ before we see any sort of drop in pricing - the cheapest I've seen is $800 for a sorong hatchy.

$800 for a pure sorong? No offence but I doubt that, I saw some pure sorong babies were around $3k earlier this year. There are precious few true sorong adults getting around, I think the term is getting thrown around a bit.

As greens get more prevalent in collections the price of standards will probably drop as more designers are bred and sought after. Like with all reptiles, some lines will cost more, I just don't want to see any of them become 'cheap'

The way the price will drop is if the availability increase.

And the best way to keep them unavailable is to keep the prices high :lol: I don't think they are as sort after as some would like to believe, or have their prices lead you to believe. Personally I find adders just as interesting...and I've sold all of mine :lol:

And the best way to keep them unavailable is to keep the prices high :lol: I don't think they are as sort after as some would like to believe, or have their prices lead you to believe. Personally I find adders just as interesting...and I've sold all of mine :lol:
I love elapids but I do not have the confidence yet to own one.

Most every day Americans earn less than Australians do.

Yes but they dont pay $6US s gallon for fuel or our massive energy prices either. Not to mention real estate prices etc. Friends that moved there from australia have commented on even with the lower income, they are far better off

Give me a few and I'll breed them and flog em off for $200 each ;) No dramas! I'd never spend $1k on anything... dog, cat, DVD player :lol: Not worth the money IMO.
I agree, what makes them so special anyway, Bredli, Coastals and Murray darlings are just as good and handling is no problem

I dont see why they wont drop...the people who were paying 10k a pair sold each hatchling for 3-5k those sold for 1.2-2.5 and now those are selling for 750-1k why wont the people paying 750ea be selling them for 600-700ea then those who buy those...its simple supply and demand especially being class 2 in NSW...

Understandably people just want a return on their outlay. But we should remember and consider ourselfs lucky that this hobby generally gets a pretty good return as is. Why should only the better well off be only able to have nicer things. Saying that their more expensive because of there care needs and if there cheaper they will become expandable is rubbish. There's good and bad in all.

$800 for a pure sorong? No offence but I doubt that, I saw some pure sorong babies were around $3k earlier this year. There are precious few true sorong adults getting around, I think the term is getting thrown around a bit.

As greens get more prevalent in collections the price of standards will probably drop as more designers are bred and sought after. Like with all reptiles, some lines will cost more, I just don't want to see any of them become 'cheap'
you should look around a bit more. Ive seen sorongs at that price. Sxr sell them cheap. Do your research before crtisism.

I said no offense, settle down. Doubt equals 'scepticism' not 'criticism'

I have done my research and from what I've read of SXR's gtps there is no guarantee that they are pure sorongs as they use multiple males. I'd rather go with the 3k animals I've seen than the cheap and cheerful versions, that my preference.
No offence meant to SXR or their animals, they are lovely, healthy animals but there are much better examples of this locality around, even if they cost more. Do your research.

you should look around a bit more. Ive seen sorongs at that price. Sxr sell them cheap. Do your research before crtisism.

Sorongs and "sorongs" are completely different things...

I would also like to add that I have better and nicer things because I worked for them and bought them. If you can't afford it you can't have it, simple.

Last edited:
I said no offense, settle down. Doubt equals 'scepticism' not 'criticism'

I have done my research and from what I've read of SXR's gtps there is no guarantee that they are pure sorongs as they use multiple males. I'd rather go with the 3k animals I've seen than the cheap and cheerful versions, that my preference.
No offence meant to SXR or their animals, they are lovely, healthy animals but there are much better examples of this locality around, even if they cost more. Do your research.

Lol. I love when people say " no offence" eg No offence but youve put on weight etc lol. All ok. Believe what you want. I have pure Sorongs and I dont sell them for 3k.

Sarah_sabian is spot on! It does my head in how often I see a GTP with a couple of blue highlights labelled 'Sorong'. Yes in Australia we can only really go by locality 'types' & use images of the adults of our hatchies to gauge how true the locality type they are labelled with is. At the end of the day pictures speak a thousand words & the $3K Sorongs are certainly priced correctly compared to every other 'Sorong type' I've seen advertised in recent years.

Captive bred USA animals still command top dollar, as Solar17 said, the cheap stuff is imported. I think prices will remain similar to how they are now, some lines will drop or designer type will increase. The variation in this species is endless & they are worth every dollar!

I just found out that in America GTPS go for as little as $400 thats really cheap
the question is do you think we should have that sort of price???

Sure why not, we definitely could achieve those prices too if we "relocate" hatchies from the forest of Indo and PNG into plastic coke bottles to set sail for the closest pet shop near you. We do that every year and I'm sure we can even drive it down to $200.

Sorongs and "sorongs" are completely different things...

I would also like to add that I have better and nicer things because I worked for them and bought them. If you can't afford it you can't have it, simple.
That was not what I ment. No need to get your back up about it mr high and mighty

Perhaps I should of just came out and said it originally. For the most part people who still try to argue for higher prices are generally greedy breeders and a bunch of Malcolm Turnbulls

Perhaps I should of just came out and said it originally. For the most part people who still try to argue for higher prices are generally greedy breeders and a bunch of Malcolm Turnbulls

Well using your logic, The ones that complain about higher priced reptiles are the one that will never afford them in the first place!

If you can do a better job and sell them cheaper do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I said generally stimigex (and should of added not just with gtp's and with the monopolisation of morphs etc by some well know breeding facilities/set ups) I don't care if my opinions are unpopular, I understand what goes into breeding however the attitude from some people like our good friend no-two here just furthers how I interpret certain things. You've got a good mentality no-two as is evident in alot of your posts. Expect a pm as I for one am above cheap unfounded attacks on the open forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back