Help Snake regurgitating after upgrading to fuzzies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptileKev81

Reaction score
Last night i upgraded one of my pythons food from pinky mice to fuzzy mice.
The local stores rodent sizes has quite a large gap between the 2 sizes and I was a little worried it may be too big, but the people at the store advised me it would be ok.
So I fed her her first fuzzie last night. After the initial strike and wrap there wasnt much going on, so i decided to leave her, and checked in on her again in about 2 hours.
I found that she was able to get it down, with a nice big lump just below her throat.

This morning, I was greeted by the smell of decomposing mice in my herp room. I found the fuzzie laying right in the middle of the heated section. So I cleaned it all up.
My temps were ok at 31 degrees on the warm side.

Would she have regurged her food because it was too big? Or could it be something else? How long before I should offer her food again.

I'm thinking maybe I should just give her 2x pinkies each week instead?

Any advice would be golden!
Cheers
Kev 8)

pythons regurgitate there food for two main reasons; bad food or the feel stressed or in danger.
it might of been bad food... never know at the moment!

What species was this? not the little gtp by chance?
Would you be able to post photos of the set up?

pythons regurgitate there food for two main reasons; bad food or the feel stressed or in danger.
it might of been bad food... never know at the moment!
And too large an item.....

Probably not been regurgitated as such.
If the food item is too big the snake may attempt to eat it but after a while just come off it. True regurgitation would be because of stress, temps or bad food/digestion problems as mentioned above.

Down size the food item but double the amount until either the snake grows a bit or a more suitable food item becomes available.

All just my opinion of course

Yeah sara_sabian, I'm referring to Roxie, my GTP from the other thread.
She's a little small, as she has gone off her food before and has refused a few feeds in the past.
But lately she has been feeding well, and I find that she is not putting out much waste which is why I thought she may be ready for an upgrade.
Anyways, I'm gonna order my rodents, as this vendor has a size in between pinkies and fuzzies which looks just perfect.

As for the setup, I have her in a 7L sistema clip-it tub with paper towel as the substrate. Since moving her to this setup she has been feeding well (the last 4 feedings). There are 2 perches made from plastic coat hangers, and my thermostat probe is at the same height level as the perch. I'm using a reptipad heat mat under about 1/3 of the tub and it is set to 31 degrees. I know when the temp drops as it has an alarm, and the only time it sounds is wheni've had the tub open for a while, and when I'm spraying the tub down.
I'll post some photo's shortly.

I really think it was due to large food size, but I guess I will have to wait and see.

When should I offer her another feed? Also, anything I can do for her? More heat? More Moisture?

Yeah sara_sabian, I'm referring to Roxie, my GTP from the other thread.
She's a little small, as she has gone off her food before and has refused a few feeds in the past.
But lately she has been feeding well, and I find that she is not putting out much waste which is why I thought she may be ready for an upgrade.
Anyways, I'm gonna order my rodents, as this vendor has a size in between pinkies and fuzzies which looks just perfect.

As for the setup, I have her in a 7L sistema clip-it tub with paper towel as the substrate. Since moving her to this setup she has been feeding well (the last 4 feedings). There are 2 perches made from plastic coat hangers, and my thermostat probe is at the same height level as the perch. I'm using a reptipad heat mat under about 1/3 of the tub and it is set to 31 degrees. I know when the temp drops as it has an alarm, and the only time it sounds is wheni've had the tub open for a while, and when I'm spraying the tub down.
I'll post some photo's shortly.

I really think it was due to large food size, but I guess I will have to wait and see.

When should I offer her another feed? Also, anything I can do for her? More heat? More Moisture?
Have you checked your temperature with an independent thermometer or are you relying on the setting on your thermostat?

Have you checked your temperature with an independent thermometer or are you relying on the setting on your thermostat?

I was relying on the thermostat, it never occurred to me it may be inaccurate. I will give it a go with a thermometer

I am not up to speed on the needs of a GTP but do you need a water bowl in there for him?

Seems odd that it's going through its OCC but still only on pinky mice. Large feed sizes are definitely an issue with young/small GTPs. Having said that though, my hatchy was born in September and onto small hopper mice so yours is either incredibly small or your fuzzy mice are really large.

Really not trying to sound nasty but I noticed your little baby in the gtp tgread earlier and it didn't look well. Would you be able to show us some more photos of the gtp? I think there could be something more serious at play.

I do think you need a more accurate read on your temperature and it would be good if you could offer fresh water 24/7. I suspect it's too wet and too cold. In the other thread it looked both puffy and dehydrated. Not saying these things to be mean, just trying to help.

I am not up to speed on the needs of a GTP but do you need a water bowl in there for him?
Yes I do have a small water bowl in there, though it was not in there for the photo.

Seems odd that it's going through its OCC but still only on pinky mice. Large feed sizes are definitely an issue with young/small GTPs. Having said that though, my hatchy was born in September and onto small hopper mice so yours is either incredibly small or your fuzzy mice are really large.

She did go on a food strike for a while and i did have trouble feeding her, but lately she has been doing much better. I thought she would be ready for an upgrade, though I think she needs something bigger than a pinky, smaller than a fuzzy.

Here's the size difference between the 2 sizes, is this normal? They are bother the same brand

Really not trying to sound nasty but I noticed your little baby in the gtp tgread earlier and it didn't look well. Would you be able to show us some more photos of the gtp? I think there could be something more serious at play.

I do think you need a more accurate read on your temperature and it would be good if you could offer fresh water 24/7. I suspect it's too wet and too cold. In the other thread it looked both puffy and dehydrated. Not saying these things to be mean, just trying to help.

I will get her to the vet ASAP :(

Here's the size difference between the 2 sizes, is this normal? They are bother the same brand

That's a really big difference man. I'd almost call that a hopper or weaner compared to the pinky size. Where are you located? Do you know anyone who breeds their own? It's easier to get the size you want then. If you're near me, I'd be happy to help out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back