Sunglow Explanation?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I've asked this before and never received a response. So maybe third in my own thread will be the charm.
It is my understanding that a sunglow is a caramel albino. However, I still don't really understand why this produces something different. Since albino snakes are actually amelanistic (thank you to those who have cleared that up recently), wouldn't that override the hypomelanism? So a caramel albino (aka hypomelanistic amelanistic) should technically just look like a regular albino?

Its been proven in many other species of pythons that separate traits for colour and pattern act independently to each other. This is how various morphs combinations create different coloured albinos. etc like a Sunglow. Easiest way to look at it is. A sunglow is a albino version of a hypo. Then a normal albino is just a albino version of a normal, or albino hypo and albino normal. A albino hyper may be all orange and a axanthic albino hyper may be all fluro pink to lavender . lol I am only guessing ...... It may sound logical to some that a python showing the albino and a hyper traits would cancel out each other . ie because one removes the melanin and the other increases it. But with each individual colour trait they act separately to each other creating many different colours phases .

Last edited:
Isn't a Sunglow a carmel het albino x albino ?

From what I've heard there suppose to look like a hypo but albino...... Same as Jungle Freak said hard to imagine the difference between a normal albino though. Hopefully someone has pictures ???

Still reading about this cra*... If only you could download genetics and mutations 101 into your brain.

Last edited:
Sax, I think you will find that the caramel gene not only reduces melanin which as you correctly point out will be cancelled out by an albino. But it may well increase the yellow pigments which are unaffected by the albino trait. So when you combine amelanism with increased yellow you get a sunglow.

I was under the impression that the only visual diffference is that a sunglow has greater contrast between the white and yellow??? Now I'm just confused.

Sax, I think you will find that the caramel gene not only reduces melanin which as you correctly point out will be cancelled out by an albino. But it may well increase the yellow pigments which are unaffected by the albino trait. So when you combine amelanism with increased yellow you get a sunglow.

No other comments needed..... spot on.

from what i know off the top of my head and what i have read;
it is a double homozygous animal that is Amelanistic but has the genetic mutation caramel trait. caramel meaning there is an increased amount of yellow skin pigment called axanthins, when putting the two mutations together it leaves you with an animal that is Amelanistic meaning there is no melanin(black skin pigment) and increased amount of axanthins.

just looking at pictures and videos of the camparison of sunglow to albino, doesn't make sense to me... it doesn't look like sunglows have increased axathins more like increased pheomelanin (pink-red skin pigment) they seem to have a darker orange instead of a yellow pattern. just something i thought i would add: to produce a sunglow you breed a hypomelanistic specimen to an Amelanistic specimen leaving you with double heterozygous offspring which you breed with the Amelanistic parent to produce a Sunglow

I can't imagine that a fully grown Sunglow will look that different from a normal Albino, But at the same time I do believe it's a nessescary step towards Moonglow. Has anyone seen these guys in the boa's? Their stunning.

here u go guys a 2 and half year old caramel albino and a hatchling from last year

Attachments

• caramel albino 038_1.JPG
    caramel albino 038_1.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 413
  • pis zeb albino hets_1_1.jpg
    pis zeb albino hets_1_1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 415
here u go guys a 2 and half year old caramel albino and a hatchling from last year

Hey mate, I was hoping you'd respond. Looking at these photos, I don't see a lot of difference between that and your "Coastal Albinos" in your other thread. Is it just the slightly better contrast between the orange and yellow or is there a really big difference in person?

wow, that's awesome 'CHONDROS' very different comparison in those two compared to the comparison between albino and sunglow boas or ball pythons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back