Kids and reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Becca-Marie

Reaction score
What age did u or do u plan to introduce ur kids to scaly kids?

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

I'll be enlisting mine for cleaning duties as soon as they are old enough to know not to eat tha poo poo.

mine are aged o-16 and the 2 yr old is inlove with my coastal however he isnt allowed to touch yet,The eldest does but all the others im a bit hesitant as gorgoo isnt the most placid snake. My 5 and 7 yr olds love catching skinks in the back yard :D heres a photo of my nephew on stradbroke island anzac wk end with a scaley friend lol it chased my mum along the beach lol she tried to get too close ha ha reckons she would have trampled kathy freeman in her panic :p

Haha that would have been a sight to see

My kids love our animals. They've had supervised interactions with my snakes since probably around 2yrs old. My wife and I went to a parent teacher interview for our daughter who's 7 and the teacher commented on how much my daughter loves snakes and is always talking about them:) I think she thought it was a bit weird.

This pic is probably about a year old now. It's one of my Darwins with my youngest.
IMG_0196.jpg

URL]

Last edited:
Our boy had his first exposure to snakes (Diamonds) when he was 4 when visiting friends. He has spent many years running around his grandparents farm catching beardies and lizards, patting and befriending them before letting them go again.

He is 10 now, and has a 6 year old sister. Now that we have our own snakes both children are actively involved with them - our boy moreso than our daughter as he is the eldest. They handle our snakes almost daily under supervision - ranging from our younger ones to our larger MD.

I believe it is very much an individual thing. Our boy has always been a natural 'animal attractant' - animals (..particularly reptiles) just love him and for some reason, the wild beardies and lizards around the farm that won't let us within cooee of them, let him walk up and pick them up!

Our daughter on the other hand is not as graceful with reptiles and her brother was at the same age.....We have only just become comfortable with her handling snakes recently - She would not have been given snakes to handle at a younger age like her brother.

Our eldest is actively involved with our snakes upkeep - he keeps our 3 hatchy's tubs clean and water fresh. He is coming outside with me when I take the MD for a walk (..and poo!) so he can learn what to do. I have no trouble leaving him for a few minutes if I need to come inside (but stay within yelling distance).

I think it is an individual thing....each child will need to be assessed individually as to the best time to introduce them to snakes, and to what level it will be. Some will be ready at an earlier age than others.

I recall a similar thread a few months ago that got a bit out of hand with some strong views being expressed about the dangers of snakes and children. Whilst I don't disagree with them, I do believe that if you understand your snakes, and your children, you should be able to determine a sensible approach.

Yes... the dangers of big monitors getting fed by people or from the scraps they leave behind and at the same time becoming too familiar and losing their natural wariness of humans. Definitely best admired at a distance. I must say that is one large and spectacularlooking Lacie.

The younger kids are are,the better when introducing them to animals. As a babe in arms they will pick up scents and this will have an effect on their comfort around these same animals as they get older. It is almost a form of imprinting and comnined familiarity from early on has a signigficant effect on kids. That which you grow up when young, you quite simply accept as a natural and normal part of life. In the early years of life I believe we learn a lot more from what ourparents do than from what they say. This does change to a degree once we get a bit older.

Blue

Yes... the dangers of big monitors getting fed by people or from the scraps they leave behind and at the same time becoming too familiar and losing their natural wariness of humans. Definitely best admired at a distance. I must say that is one large and spectacularlooking Lacie.

The younger kids are are,the better when introducing them to animals. As a babe in arms they will pick up scents and this will have an effect on their comfort around these same animals as they get older. It is almost a form of imprinting and comnined familiarity from early on has a signigficant effect on kids. That which you grow up when young, you quite simply accept as a natural and normal part of life. In the early years of life I believe we learn a lot more from what ourparents do than from what they say. This does change to a degree once we get a bit older.

Blue

"Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man" - Ignatius of Loyola

my daughter was 3 or 4 months old wen her dad let her touch a hatchy childrens and a hatchy spotted. they were both placid snakes and he was holding her as he let her touch it. but as she was so young and I was more worried about her bitting or hurting the snake so we stopped letting her touch them. but wen she was 18 months old we started letting her touch/ hold all our reptiles with our supervision (all non vens of course). the last thing I wanted to do was was say no or freak out and make her think it was bad. she now has no fear of them and wants to hold or touch them wen I have them out. and she has better handling skills than I have seen some adults have.

I ask this as my daughter was bailed up by a gecko in her cot...poor darling was terrified if it. I dont want her to be scared but at the same time i dont want her to think that anythimg she finds is just one of “mummies pets“.

My boy is 2 and I have adopted the "let them crawl on you but no touching rule as he doesn't quiet grasp (no pun intended) the open"/ soft hands rule. My daughter is 7 and she got me into snakes and is brilliant with them.

my little brother (3) has a slight fear of snakes and most other reptile due to having a very protective mother that came to the stupid decision of teaching him that all animals are bad and dangerous. he will hold my stimsons python when he is in a good mood and he used to help me get the crickets out and dust them for my four frogs when i had them, he thought they were ants :lol:

My 16 month old watches everything I do with the snakes, I won't let him touch yet because he's to heavy handed with the cat so snakes are a no no. He can't even say snake yet but he's goes ssssssss when he wants to see them lol.

From the start I was allowed to bring lizards and frogs home but that was the 50's with M&D trying to raise a nutcase pair of twin girls. If there were no tears I had free reign, . At 5 I was all day down the creek watching and catching things. Nothings changed except I only catch what I need to these days. Still love to watch. Still down the creek :)

They weren't keen on snakes but most things were fine "as long as you look after it yourself". Fine by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back