Very first python help.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aelodrea

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I finally got my long desired, very first, Jungle Carpet Python, Monty, today.

I just need a bit of help in terms of heating, like how often/long should i keep the heat lamp on and if there was any way in letting it de-stress and bit easier, considering we have him in the loungeroom.

Thats all i really need to know, some sites havnt been clear on the heating issue and i kinda forgot what the guy who sold it to me said cause i was too excited hehe :p

Thanks all!

Hi

If you have just got him, id leave him alone for at least a week.. no touching. If he is really distressed, maybe cover his tank with a sheet so he cannot see people walking past his enclosure all day..

With my snake i use a Infrared heat lamp, and it stays on 24/7 on a thermostat. If you have a bright lamp, turn it off for night and use another heat source to keep him warm as the nights are getting colder..

I cant afford a thermostat yet, but thanks for the help :)

How old is he?
Different ages need different heat requirements. Hatchies need a 24/7 hot spot of around 32degrees till around a year old. After that you can just turn your basking lamp on for the day time.

Not meaning to sound rude but my opinion is that if you can't afford the basic husbandry equipment, you should hold off on the snake purchase until after you have bought them. Not get the snake then save up for everything else.
A thermostat is one of the most important things to keep your snake healthy and safe. Without it, there is a high chance of either your snake cooking or not getting enough heat and at risk of temp related issues such as R.I.

To help the settling period, I would put up a sheet as suggested above so he can't see people walking past all the time.

I cant afford a thermostat yet, but thanks for the help :)
You can get thermostats for $10 on ebay.
As stated above, this should've been setup BEFORE you got the snake.
Do lots of research starting NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back