dirty jobs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought people could also have an anaphylactic reaction to scorpions as well? Not sure of this fact but I was reading a thread on APS where a new scorpion keeper was stung by a flinders range scorpion and wanted to know if he could die, another more experienced keeper told the poster only from a anaphylactic reaction.

Indeed, I just purchased my first Flinders Scorpion from a long time keeper and breeder and was informed by him, as well as researched by myself, that a sting from them is about on par with a bee sting. But just like bees you can have an anaphylactic reaction which can be life threatening.

I personally was just as appalled at the handling of the snake as i was by the comments made. That snake catcher should never have been allowed to become one in the first place if thats how he handles all his call outs.
Ads

Reminds me of bear grylls "Eating" an Aussie native, They don't realize how strong their influence can be.

he ate the water python, there you go... that's why there wasn't a big fuss? that is how the food chain works stronger eats weaker... as long as he ate it there is no problem, there was probably a water python that ate a cane toad and died or got attacked by a feral cat and died. thats the real problem.
Water Pythons are , like all Australian snakes , protected . The only people allowed to hunt and eat protected species are Aboriginal not Americans .

I work with a bunch that have been largely un educated regarding snakes however there are a few of us keepers here. I have been appalled and heartened in the same year here. Where ever possible I strive to educate people, although sometimes it is a uphill battle. We are located near a wetland system and we frequently have snakes appear here, only once I have seen an Eastern Brown, generally we enjoy nice big carpets and little greens and keelbacks.

So I produced a powerpoint presentation for the safety committee as I didn't want people "see snake kill snake" I am very happy to say that on two occassions we have had guys come up to one of us and ask us to indentify a snake and ask if we can move it. Thankfully both these beauties were saved and let go. We also get to see more as people tell one us and we can go look at it and while others are looking at it another education opportunity arises.

So even though it is an uphill battle we can think of ways to educate and when people have knowledge that generally share it so this broadens the audience and hopefully saves another beauty from being destroyed unecessarily.

Cheers guys just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back