Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i think you need to remember cane toads are innocent it was stupid people who moved them and are responsible
just like any other introduced/feral/invasive species and they should be killed as humanely as possible...

Every bogan and his dog can go out with golf clubs and kill the toads for a month and it won't make a dent in solving the problem

i think you need to remember this is a massive issue...

After reading this whole thread I Realised this was the best and most valuable comment on this thread :D

the govt should put a price on their hind legs like they did for foxes, these things are just one of many mistakes the govt. made and they should be responsible for eradicating them, and it should be carried on by whichever party gains power. just my opinion.
Can't put a price on them people will breed them for reward. This problem has been discussed many times on APS. If there was an easy solution there would be no problem.

Jeez. Some of you need to calm down. Killing every cane toad you come across to eradicate them is like trying to empty the ocean a bucket at a time. For decades scientists have been looking far ways to control them. Yet nothing has worked, no doubt the kill everyone you see approach was tried and failed. They certainly don't belong here. But I can see why people still appreciate them for the animal they are. In their own environment would obviously be the nicest way to appreciate them. The damage they have done makes it hard for me to see them in a nice light. But now and then I read an article on them and marvel at mans stupidity as well as the interesting animal the cane toad is.

Cane toads are adapting and defending themselves, sure it's for the worst of things but things are getting sorted out with time and hopefully someone will come to a magnificent conclusion. Sure we get it that going out and killing a few toads with a club of some sort isn't going to change the problem but out of those 5 odd toads you bludgeoned you could of saved one more snake, one more freshwater croc, one more monitor. People are only trying to help.

It is our fault for the problem and it was a ridiculous idea to start off with but who knew they would get this out of control and breed this rapidly adapting to our environment? It obviously wasn't thought over very well or they were oblivious to the consequences that could occur. It was there fault but also a mistake and personally I have nothing against them as we have all made mistakes, some large some small.

This Is a horrible problem and I hope that all of you Realise sitting here having ago at everyone else about there opinions or actions isn't going to solve anything. You whine about the problem like its everyone else's fault, why not try help them, why not become a scientist and sort it out yourself.

Someone will more than likely pick me up on something and have a go at me and say I am somewhat hypocritical but please take some time and figure out what you can do to help if you can.

Bohdi.

Maybe the NT and WA governments can sue Queensland for losses incurred by their negligence and the monetary outcome can be awarded to research?

I dont believe in killing them either... not at this point, as your killing for the sake of killing, they reproduce far far faster than people can kill them. They have been around for many years, and will remain for many more. Unless science can come up with a solution they are part of Australian eco system (unfortunately).

When you find isolated young or mature individuals in areas you've never seen them before kill them. Or next year there will be tens of thousands. First the country is covered in dead animals. Then nothing. I have seen this with my own eyes. WA they're coming. NSW too. I think it will take a Canberra invasion before realistic resources are put into this problem.

Hi people, just thought I would add something to this old topic. I have recently moved, while walking my dogs I came across a little billabong on council land. I looked down and saw thousands of lttle baby frogs jumping around. I was really pleased to see soo many of what I thought might have been australian froggies. There was litteraly thousands of them.
BIG DISSAPOINTMENT. THEY WERE CAND TOADS.
I think the coulcil should be getting in there and spraying them, I was horrified. Since then I have found 8 in my backyard, and my dog plays with anything that jumps or runs.
Im sorry to say all you toad lovers that I go out almost every night with a clof club and kill as many as I can find.
There death is quick, so dont get on my back about it, but these toads are destroying everything.
Anybody with me on this?

Here's a method for dealing with the toadlets worked out by Indigenous folk in Western Arnhem Land
1- Find where the toadlets are exiting the pond (usually a shallow slope)
2- place the contents of a small tin of cat food on the ground near the toads
3- meat ants will quickly find the cat food but will also eat any toadlets nearby
4- soon the cat food is gone but the meat ants keep eating the toadlets until there are very few lft.

This process completely cleared a small spring near Kalkarngi although adult toads have probably moved back there by now.

Well said !!!!!

People getting fired up and abusive over the OP's photo and comment is a little over the top in my opinion. My respect for some of the members on here has fallen dramatically. Remember that it is human beings that are the absolute worst invasive species in almost every ecosystem that they migrate into and responsible for far more extinctions than any other species.

People getting fired up and abusive over the OP's photo and comment is a little over the top in my opinion. My respect for some of the members on here has fallen dramatically. Remember that it is human beings that are the absolute worst invasive species in almost every ecosystem that they migrate into and responsible for far more extinctions than any other species.

This may well be true but are you happy with where you are thanks to the invaisions of our past ???

I saw a doco where people caught them and ate the legs....
after seeing another doco this week, where anywhere you apply a bit of pressure, they ooze this white toxin. Really filthy looking animal.
Personally I couldn't kill them with a club or whatever as I'm against cruelty As mentioned before, these animals are innocent.
Any method used to eradicate them must be fully researched to ensure it has no further negative impact on our fauna.

I haven't read much at all about these toads but has anyone come up with a method to sterilize them? Unable to reproduce, their numbers would eventually decrease.

I've found the best way to sterilize them is with a velocity impact tool, using this tool they are given an injection of a compound (I think the chemical compound is known as in its most basic form as Pb) usually around 29 grains is enough, straight into the head or body. This has been proven to cease breeding in individuals 100% regardless of gender of animal

This technique has also been proven effective on other introduced pests, however for obvious reasons a larger dose is required to suit the size of the animal

Killing a killer VS respecting life irrespective of their negative implications. Clearly both have some very good points and some very real and confronting points. This is NOT an amphibian problem. This IS a human problem and must be solved the same way. We need to save our native species. We need to do it in a humane way. All points told over and over. IMO we must save our precious island from an invasive and aggressive species. They are obviously in the wrong environment and should be collected, frozen and sold to to tourist. NO DOUBT. As i stated b4 this is a human problem, WE planted to much cane, WE caused a population bloom of cane beetle, WE introduce the cane toad, only WE can fix the problem. WA DEC have now banning the use of Dettol to kill toads, IMO a fair thing as it harms algae and fish in the process. But what else can people do? . . .
Research on the basic ecology of toads has unearthed many surprising facts, some of which can be bent towards toad control. Perhaps the most grisly of these is that toads are cannibalistic, and toadpoles like nothing more than a snack of fresh toad eggs. To find fresh toad eggs, toadpoles home in on the very same toxin that makes toads so dangerous to our native predators. Thus, a simple yabby trap, baited with soluble toad toxin, will rapidly catch thousands of toadpoles but won’t attract anything else.

PM - Battle against the cane toad continues in Darwin 02/04/2013 - here's what a group in Darwin are up to.

For a more permeant solution a national voice has to be heard. Its forums/communities like this one that should be openly supporting programs like those of Professor Peter Koopman (Institute for Molecular Bioscience @ The University of Queensland) which desperately need funding, so if you're from QLD contact your local representative or write them a quick email telling them about these solution. let them know how important it is that 'they' are on-board. Only WE can make a voice big enough to make a difference.

Killing off the cane toad - Institute for Molecular Bioscience - The University of Queensland, Australia

*** as a side note; considering this is a reptile forum, i think its a shameful to post your love for cane toads (a major killer of our native species of snakes and monitor), perhaps next time a little foresight and compassion on the posters behalf is in order. Unless their intensions were to create conflict and a divide. in which case YAY congrats

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my opinion may not account for much.. But its not the cane toads fault that some moron decided it would be very advantageous for us to introduce such a dangerous creature into our closed environment..

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Rammy I think you deserve a reward for the longest first post ever!

Wow Rammy I think you deserve a reward for the longest first post ever!

it only took me 4 years to write something. lets hope its not another 4 before i have something else to say. ;)

all introduced invasive species should be killed, but its how we kill them thats the problem. i hate seeing animals suffer even ugly ones like cane toads. but at the end of the day i rather protect our native wildlife's very existance, so i will kill cane toads. and i can garantee you if they do get to my place they won't be around long.

its not their fault, it was humans who caused this. but at the end of the day they are causing way to much destruction.

and killing 1 cane toad does make a difference its 1 less breeding, less 50,000 baby cane toads. if everyone got off their rear ends and killed as many as they can find in their back yards, local parks, ponds ect and did it at least once a week the numbers would drop.

wen i was in QLD and stayed with friends there were at least 20 in their yard, i asked why they had not killed them and they said "who cares, more will only come" its like they have given up and don't care.

Just my two cents worth coz it's all already been said. Toads were introduced at Gordonvale many years ago just up from where my farm was. Every night we'd go out and catch as many as we could and freeze them. Then put them in the rubbish bins on collection day. Got our toad population down to almost nil in a matter of a few nights. Freezing slows their metabolism and they just go to sleep and never wake up. Humane and also got rid of the nasty, introduced creature which has no place in our aussie environment. Having lost a dog to toad poisoning and seen the dramatic effect they have had on the rest of the native animal communities throughout their infestation areas, there is no place for any feeling of compassion for these creatures. Yes, you may feel "sorry" for them and "It's not their fault they are here" but the consequences of such compassion are slowly but surely wrecking our own fragile eco-systems. So, kill them humanely and spare our native fauna... If you feel so badly for them, just say a little prayer as they slowly get colder and freeze into canesicles!!!

I don't need to read myths and crap like that. Those things are killing our snakes and lizards, cats and dogs etc. I don't feel bad about smacking a few. especially when they are coming close to my house and my animals. There death is quick and sudden, they don't suffer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back