your experience with Mercury Vapour Bulbs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manda1032

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I would like to know everyone's experience with Mercury Vapour Bulbs.

I would especially love to hear from people who have Shinglebacks.

Some brands of MVB state that they are not recommended for Shinglebacks.
I'm getting two babies and although I'm an experienced herper I'm also going to be a new "mum" to a species I've been dreaming about for a very long time and I'd love to hear more and learn all I can for them. I also have a beardie whom I'd be looking to upgrade.
Thanks in advance :)

i know people out there use MVB so anything you can tell me would be appreciated. The local "stores" don't supply them so I'd have to travel or post one

a friend of mine who is a reptile keeper and breeder and he thinks they are the best bulbs on the market. they supply one of the highest amounts of UVB and they don't run out of UVB until the actual light blows which is around 2 years from what i know. when i get my reptile room and get monitors and dragons they are whay i will be using.
$50-$70 each 2 odd years is better then $20-$30 each 4-6 months.

Have a look at some of the threads on Australian Bearded Dragon Forum... There's a lot of discussion on there about MVB's & also suppliers...

I use a MVB for my shingle back. I love everything about them and so does my shingle! :D
Heat, UVA and UVB in one globe - easiest thing to use in the world :D

What size is your tank? Is it open top? I tried a MVB in my 900x600x600 vivarium with a vent on either side walls and it was far too hot. If maybe it was a taller and long enclosure or an open top it would of been fantastic.

In the few hours i was testing temps before i put my growing beardie into the vivarium one of the globes has blow after 4hrs use (tank ambient temp was 32c), blown globes do happen in mvbs and it pays to keep a few on hand as spares.

The globes are great for rehab of animals suffering signs of MBD, the ammount of UVB is alot more then any tube will ever produce and alot more stable (no/little decline in useable UVB over life of globe, 18-36 months).

Rick

What size is your tank? Is it open top? I tried a MVB in my 900x600x600 vivarium with a vent on either side walls and it was far too hot. If maybe it was a taller and long enclosure or an open top it would of been fantastic.

In the few hours i was testing temps before i put my growing beardie into the vivarium one of the globes has blow after 4hrs use (tank ambient temp was 32c), blown globes do happen in mvbs and it pays to keep a few on hand as spares.

The globes are great for rehab of animals suffering signs of MBD, the ammount of UVB is alot more then any tube will ever produce and alot more stable (no/little decline in useable UVB over life of globe, 18-36 months).

Rick

Obviously a dodgy globe to begin with. I have never blown an MVB as yet. I suppose it depends on your supplier as to the quality.

Obviously a dodgy globe to begin with. I have never blown an MVB as yet. I suppose it depends on your supplier as to the quality.

Not uncommmon with MVBs though, alot of people buy in bulk for the discount and the chance they can pop after little use.

Need to give all the fact, these globes do sometimes just pop. They run at high heat and vibrations in the floor can cause them to blow aswell.

Most good reptile stores will refund if within first few days, but not all will. The more you buy the better price you get, over in a bulk of 20 an see what sort of price ya get vs the price of just a couple at a time. Breeders/keepers with alot of dragons will buy them in big numbers from suppliers direct.

Rick

Thankyou everyone. I got my baby shinglebacks today. Their current indoor enclosure is a 900 x 600 x 600 and yeah I thought it would be a little too small for a 100w MVB. They have a 100w globe in there and I'm thinking even that is a bit much after a couple of hours but the little ones sit under it on the slate. Both the shingles and the beardie live in open tops. It's definately worth considering for the beardie for now but the bubba's can wait until they get a bigger enclosure. For the price they are def worth it, especially compaired to a 4 ft uv10.0!

Rick

were you happening to use a thermostat on that bulb as MVB will commonly blow when they on a thermostat. you just need to find the right height i guess.

i have had a few go on the blink, quite literally, but not had one blow as such. i have them over most of my lizards and am trialling them in some red belly and a tiger enclosures. All on timers. Here's a hint, buy from europe and buy in bulk.

were you happening to use a thermostat on that bulb as MVB will commonly blow when they on a thermostat. you just need to find the right height i guess.

Nope, ran straight to the timer and no thermostat. The other one i ran for 3 days 8hrs a day and it didnt have any problems with blowing.

Rick

MVs area great solution for a variety of reptiles however as they cant be used in conjunctin with a thermostat its important the encosure is lage and there is adequae ventilation, in fact all xs heat needs to be abe to escape. Most have a thermal cutout and turn themselves off if they get too hot, so don't throw the 'popped' one out too quickly!

My MVB ran for a year and a half without blowing can defiantly tell it pumps out the UVB would buy one again some even have guarantees if it blows in the first year you get another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back