What sand to use for a sandy's.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersimon

Reaction score
Sorry for asking such a silly question but here we go.
I've read that plasters sand is the best sand to use for a sandy's enclosure but I've been to all the landscaper and building centers in my area and no one knows what I was taking about. I looked at all the sands they had and the yellow brickies sand seems to be the best because of its ability to hold a burrow but what is your opinion.
Cheers for your help.
Coppersimon.

I've got brickies sand for my sandy and u should see the borrows he makes! Pretty awesome. Holds well and he seems to love it.

Brickie sand allows for great burrows and will set hard on top, plasters sand (red) will also do this but will turn back into sand if you were to break it up.

Last season my beardie decided to sleep for a few weeks, she dug a hole in the brickie sand and covered the hole (came out 3 weeks later). It holds good moisture under the surface without having to be too humid.

Rick

Thanks guys. I would love to find plasters sand but no one stocks it or even knows what it is where I am. Brickies sand it is.

I've got brickies sand for my sandy and u should see the borrows he makes! Pretty awesome. Holds well and he seems to love it.

Which sub-species do u own? (just curious) im on the look out for people who own gouldii gouldii.

What kind of plaster sand are you talking about?
I have found red and yellow plaster sand, And also what is better brickies or plaster?

Discription of sands at my local sand and metal yard.

Brick Sand
Yellow, high in clay content used for laying bricks/blocks.

Plaster Sand
Red, light clay content ideal for rendering and screeding bathroom floors.

A higher clay content sand will hold burrows better without caving in. Any holes dug in brick sand will stay their and harden over.

I havent had a problem with beardies or thick tailed geckos at all on red plaster sand, alot of people use the same for n.levis geckos aswell because they love to burrow. I think i will be going plaster sand for my new v.acanthurus trio but not 100% set on it yet.

Rick

Which sub-species do u own? (just curious) im on the look out for people who own gouldii gouldii.

Hey mate,

Ive got a flavirufus. how come your looking for people with gouldii gouldii?

cheers

I don't know why but gouldii gouldii seem to fascinate me more, their pattern, colour and size. I like the darker look :) don't get me wrong I like flavi's aswell.

I also wanted a gouldii gouldii as my first monitor, so ive been trying to find breeders etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back