sellers breaking an agreement

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

damoztishfank

Reaction score
Hi all, to set the scene seller advertised animal and the seller and I brokered a deal to which he agreed on price and to freight and a payment plan , then 24 hours later the seller messages to say I was offered more sorry!!! Is this an accepted practice here or should a obligation to honour original agreement???

Unfortunately thats the nature of people these days. Imo the deal should be honored

Cash in the hand Vs payment plan + organising freight.
Obviously took the easy route.
I have been left hanging before, waiting around all day for an animal to be dropped off.
I had even offer monetary compensation for travel and they were going to be in the area regardless.
A little while later they were interested in some I was selling, needless to say I didn't play.

I had the same thing kind of happen to me. I was swapping a Jungle for two Beardies after my daughters had passed.
1st day he messaged me and couldn't make it as he was late with commitments. That was fine so we we made a time he was showing the next day for sure. At the same time others could see we were making the deal and were making comments.
Next day my daughters who do not live with me were at my house excited and waiting. Never showed or a message.
3 hours later I get a facebook message saying sorry he needed the cash and had sold them. It was so much he had messed me around for 2 days. It was the disappointment that my daughter went through. She had lost the beardie she loved and to then go through that to I was not happy.
All good now she has two beardies now. One I Picked up for free and the other she stole of her dad after he got one for himself.

Maybe I am just old fashioned. BUT my word is my word. If I make a deal with someone I honour it. That is just me. Keep in mind there are some that I will not sell to and I WILL tell them.

Nothing wrong with what the seller did IMO. I've done the same thing and would do it again.

There have been too many occasions in the past where buyers have pulled out of deals or failed to show so I always make it clear that it's first in first served.

The only way i'll hold an animal is if I have already received a sizeable deposit.

Of course he should have honoured it. The tire kicking epidemic in this hobby is unbearable these days.

this is way to common in this hobby. some people are just in it for the money. at the end of the day, my word is my word and i will stand buy it. but if if a buyer messes me around i will not hesitate to sell to someone else.

It's not just in the herp hobby, it's in all hobbies sadly. Where ever money is involved and people are out to make a quick buck it will always happen. I have people do the same with many things to me, one person tried to do it with the mini I was purchasing. Offered more money over the phone to the seller while I was standing there with my bank cheque! Thankfully for me but sadly for the seller who missed out on $3000 more he stuck by his word. "Insert word here" as to how I would have been if he didn't and went with the extra $

A deal is done if l give my word but for every deal that is done there are nearly always 6+ tyre kickers that don't show up or get mysterious bills that turn-up unannounced so it can be a two way street including one on a previous post on this thread solar 17 (Baden)

Seller has not done anything illegal.
But it is frowned upon.
It's not exclusive to selling reptiles.
It sucks.
But, it is what it is.

Maybe I am just old fashioned. BUT my word is my word. If I make a deal with someone I honour it. That is just me. Keep in mind there are some that I will not sell to and I WILL tell them.

Spot on Fay.

Nothing wrong with what the seller did IMO. I've done the same thing and would do it again.

There have been too many occasions in the past where buyers have pulled out of deals or failed to show so I always make it clear that it's first in first served.

The only way i'll hold an animal is if I have already received a sizeable deposit.

Remind me never to deal with you then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stand by my word, but if i was stuffed around i wouldnt think twice about selling to someone else. Tyre kickers are a pain in the backside, have set meets with people and not had them show. Just remember not to do business with them again and you will slow weed them out.

As said unfortunatly some people just want the quick buck but if something was organised the other party in the transaction should keep to their word.

Ebay is another source of people that dick ya around, cant remember how many times ive planned to picked something up to get a text the day before saying it was gone already.

Rick

IMO being an eBay and Gumtree seller, having experience with people on payment plans I find 4/5 are time wasters. I personally would go with a first in first served basis as it's easier and avoids isssues with buyers pulling out half way and asking for their money back, then when I list it again, no one wants the same price I originally get offered.

That's just my experience.

Personally I think sellers/buyers who break agreement should be removed for selling/buying through aps classifieds.

Yes im annoyed possibly bitter but for the reason I want to establish integrity within the herp community

It shouldn't happen but the amount of times that potential buyers commit to a sale then are never heard from again (including those who have posted in this thread) would astound anyone that hasn't sold before. So while I don't agree with it I can understand it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back