Hebel block waterfall

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatty

Reaction score
So I started to make a water fall yesterday out of a hebel block very easy to carve with a die grinder here some pics
a9a9yteb.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

Thats gotta be so much more watertight and easier than foam and liquid nails.
What dimensions are the blocks? Cost?

Thats gotta be so much more watertight and easier than foam and liquid nails.
What dimensions are the blocks? Cost?

There are all sorts of shapes and sizes. I know bunnings now sell them, not sure how much tho.will be even cheaper if they r cracked or broken.

What other properties does this material have? Will you need to seal it? How heavy is it? Would it be practical to use making a background? Does it retain heat well?

To my understanding it light concrete so would retain heat well I am going to seal it but it seams to hold water in a raw finish I only left it for 10 mins tho

To my understanding it light concrete so would retain heat well I am going to seal it but it seams to hold water in a raw finish I only left it for 10 mins tho

Oh ok :)
Thanks.
Doesn't concrete leak chemicals into water if left unsealed?

hebel is airated concrete. good idea. i use it at work sometimes and have never thought to use it. would be good for this smaller stuff but is still heavy if you tried to use it in a big viv.
concrete does not leach chemicals out if not sealed either. water tanks are made from it. troughs etc. and frogs live and breed in them. thats good enough proof for me. but im not sure if hebel has additives in it or not that could affect it. but if you seal it it should be fine.

Concrete does affect water quality, it is highly caustic, and makes water alkaline, this reduces over time (lots of time) you can't put fish into a new concrete pond without neutralising the water first, or sealing the concrete.

Also, if using a die grinder, or other power tools, use a quality dust mask, the dust can cause silicosis. nasty stuff!

Hebel is porous to an extent, it floats in water due to all the air bubbles captured in it. It looks like an Aero chocolate bar when you break it. I would seal it, I think water will eventually penetrate it.

For the OP, I would suggest you run a hose to simulate your water flow to experiment before you go too far with finish it off. Ive made a couple of water falls now, and I find water doesn't flow how we expect it too, and I've always had to tweak things a bit.

Last edited:
Concrete does affect water quality, it is highly caustic, and makes water alkaline, this reduces over time (lots of time) you can't put fish into a new concrete pond without neutralising the water first, or sealing the concrete.

Also, if using a die grinder, or other power tools, use a quality dust mask, the dust can cause silicosis. nasty stuff!

Hebel is porous to an extent, it floats in water due to all the air bubbles captured in it. It looks like an Aero chocolate bar when you break it. I would seal it, I think water will eventually penetrate it.

For the OP, I would suggest you run a hose to simulate your water flow to experiment before you go too far with finish it off. Ive made a couple of water falls now, and I find water doesn't flow how we expect it too, and I've always had to tweak things a bit.
I agree all concrete will leach an I would doubt it is watertight but think it looks great and was thinking about a similar idea with a carved arch for my enclosure.

Mudgudgeon
You beat me to it.... Hebel is band for use in many countries except here yet ? it is nasty stuff and has to be cut in a sealed room on site so other people don't breathe it in as it is carcinogenic. Really bad stuff that i would not use under any surcumstances let alone in a water source.

Mudgudgeon
You beat me to it.... Hebel is band for use in many countries except here yet ? it is nasty stuff and has to be cut in a sealed room on site so other people don't breathe it in as it is carcinogenic. Really bad stuff that i would not use under any surcumstances let alone in a water source.
How is it different to concrete? I may be nieve in thinking this but I was under the impression that it was aerated concrete, is ther an additive that makes it different?

Hebel blocks as supplied are very safe. It is the dust produced when cut etc that is a problem as it contains silicates. If you use the correct safety gear you will have no problem. Most powdered building materials contain silicates including renders and grouts. Just use good practice.

Hebel blocks as supplied are very safe. It is the dust produced when cut etc that is a problem as it contains silicates. If you use the correct safety gear you will have no problem. Most powdered building materials contain silicates including renders and grouts. Just use good practice.

oh gez and here I am using it and carving,chipping,grinding and sanding it into outdoor sculptures.think I might use a dusk mask next time

I was using dusk mask and safety glasses I know any dust is not the best for you I have used a hose to do some test runs and will use the pump to do a finale run before finishing I was going to seal it as I know concrete is porous not to concerned about the the chemicals leaching out as I will have a few coats on sealer

BigJoe is on the money.

Its the fine sand and cement dusts that contain silica fragments that cause problems. Once its in your lungs, it doesn't come out.

Phatty, you sound like you have it sorted. Show us the finished result, yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back