sellers breaking an agreement

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm no Damien. Can you imagine the ones that like to make up stories about others with no real proof?

Personally I think sellers/buyers who break agreement should be removed for selling/buying through aps classifieds.

Yes im annoyed possibly bitter but for the reason I want to establish integrity within the herp community

Why are people always so bitter about "people are just in it for the money"? Its a sale. For money. Why shouldn't people make money? Or are they expected to breed animals and sell them cost price just to break even? I get that a deal was made, and breaking it is poor form. But comments about being in it for the money?
I'm currently trying to sell some musical equipment, I'm trying to get as much cash ad possible because I love money. I'm not selling it for love of music. I bought it for love of music, now I'm selling it for the money

Why are people always so bitter about "people are just in it for the money"? Its a sale. For money. Why shouldn't people make money? Or are they expected to breed animals and sell them cost price just to break even? I get that a deal was made, and breaking it is poor form. But comments about being in it for the money?

Don't you know that you are supposed to spend a bucket load on the newest/fanciest looking reptile available,grow them,breed them,and then give them away.

Could be regulated by administration accessing pm`s

We have a marketplace feedback section for members to share their experiences for this reason.

While we don't condone dodgy dealings, we do provide the means for members to share if they have been unfortunate to have a bad experience. Additional steps such as admins sorting through PMs is time consuming and when folks are upset, patience is never a virtue they wish to practice.

I think it's poor form to pull out of a deal to make a little more coin after already giving your word, but in saying that, I have contacted a buyer before, asked to meet up to look at the reptile or to email/ SMS me a pic etc and if its not what I'm after and I knock it back without committing to purchase prior, I have copped plenty of abuse for wasting their time, like I should then purchase a sub standard animal or an animal im not 100% happy with because I dared ask for a pic of the reptile for sale... I believe that if you want the product/reptile etc, and agree on a price, put a deposit down ASAP... However, I can understand why people are hesitant to do this, as if people are out there who will sell to someone else after making a deal, who's to say that the buyer won't take your deposit and run... Never to be heard from again... Happened to me when buying a 1952 ford customline hearse off eBay from a power seller with great feedback...

your word is your bond as far as i'm concerned.... if you can't keep your word,then your untrustworthy..... i personally wouldn't deal with you,and i would tell anyone i knew, not too as well.

As a seller my policy is 20% non-refundable deposit is to be placed for any animals that the buyer wants to hold, I then get them to meet me at a location close by and tell them to call me when they are there, then & only then I will get in my car to meet them... This saves me from wasting time & petrol.

As a buyer... I am not sure if thier is anything that can be done to save me from shonky sellers? Even by placing a deposit, thier really isn't any guarantee! Everything just comes down to trust.

We have a marketplace feedback section for members to share their experiences for this reason.

While we don't condone dodgy dealings, we do provide the means for members to share if they have been unfortunate to have a bad experience. Additional steps such as admins sorting through PMs is time consuming and when folks are upset, patience is never a virtue they wish to practice.
Tell me more. Where is it and how does it work. How do members share a dodgey dealing with exposing aps to liability if it isn't true?

Tell me more. Where is it and how does it work. How do members share a dodgey dealing with exposing aps to liability if it isn't true?

Check your profile and then the Market Feedback tab. Works on the same principal as other marketplace feedback setups such as eBay. I cannot comment on supposed liability though so I cannot offer anything that may answer your question sorry.

I think if your going to make a deal and shake on it you should definitely stick by it, but one thing that i think gets thrown around too loosely is the term "tyre kicker". There's two parties to a deal and both parties need to be happy with the arrangement so while i fully agree that there are time wasters out there I don't believe that every person who looks but ultimately decides not to buy is a "tyre kicker". With the crappy photos taken by some phones and etc sometimes it is hard to fully justify a purchase without seeing the animal in flesh and checking to see it is in good health and well cared for, a buyer should be able to reserve the right to not purchase if they are not fully satisfied with the animal, Before you decide to sell ANYTHING one should be prepared to have some people walk away.

Tell me more. Where is it and how does it work. How do members share a dodgy dealing with exposing aps to liability if it isn't true?
I have had an alleged dodgy dealing and as far as my experience went I felt that I was wrongly done by during a sale from another member. I completed the negative marketplace feedback and also completed a ticket about this member. The ticket was completed and closed off with nothing able to be done as it was his word against mine but the negative feedback still stood. I respect the decision to close the ticket off as they were right that it was a he said she said and I am not sure if the other member had the opportunity to argue the negative feedback or not. I would hope that the member receiving the negative feedback would have the right of reply to prevent nasty comments being left out of spite.

If you agree to a purchase then you should definitely honour it. If you dishonour it and sell to a higher bidder then you have shown no moral or ethical standards and fit the category of a dodgy buyer/seller. If your open to higher bids then disclose it when agreeing to the sale ie; you can have it for that price but If I am offered more from someone else before you get here I will sell to them. At least let the person know the conditions. To operate outside of this is just pure greed and just shows that you are a person of low standards and of shady character.

I agree with those who say your word is your bond but with all of the tyre kickers these days the only certain way to lock in a deal is to pay a deposit.

Here is something that happened to me a few days ago.
I listed some snakes for sale (not on aps) and had a person contact me via sms, we came to an agreement for a trade deal and set a date.
Setting a date was hard enough as he used the my partner is sick as well as all the other excuses under the sun. When we finally picked a date he messages me at 2 a.m that day and says he has found something else he wants to swap for from another seller and will message me back by 8.30 to let me know if it was still mine. At this point I usually would have told him where to stick his head but I waited it out.
I message him back at 10.30 a.m and ask whats happening, he says once his sick wife wakes up he will message me back. He messages back and says he can't make it to the meeting place as his wife was too sick, I even offered to meet him in walking distance from his house so he would have no excuses and received no response. I was later told by a friend that he had swapped it and was basically stuffing me around for 2 days.

If anyone in the Newcastle area wants to know his name drop me a P.M :D

I feel for you mate but you would not believe how many buyers have organised to meet up etc then are never heard from again. I now will only hold a reptile if a deposit is made, still I get stuffed around by people ringing on Friday, telling me they will put the deposit in on Monday and then I never hear from them! Having said that I will always honour a deal and if the potential buyer cannot give me an a time to meet or a deposit then I tell them straight out that they may miss out.

Where the seller went wrong in this transaction is he was not up front with you about first in, first serve etc, because he did not put those conditions up then imo he should have honoured the deal, no ifs or buts!

Last edited:
It's all about moral responsibilityand ethics and that 'art' seems to have vanished when hats started being worn backwards and it was ok to see someones undies out the back of their shorts.

I had been in the tropical fish hobby for close to twenty years. Breeding selling quality stock etc. Lost count of the number of times I was stuffed around. Never once did I go back on my word even if I was given a better offer. Now I am nearly out of that hobby due to the sour taste left by people being people. This is also why I wont breed snakes as I don't wont this interest soured by people. I know this sounds negative but I don't want my enthusiasm soured. I agree with all the previous posts of moral and ethical obligations though unfortunately it seems to be a dying practise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back