Thick-tail gecko substrate question?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Wanted to know if this is an appropriate reptile desert sand to use with thick-tail geckos :D It's called Natural Reptile Desert Sand by Show Masters

Attachments

• IMG_4345.JPG
    IMG_4345.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 145
I'm interested in all things thick tail, so idiot have an answer sorry but would love to hear any suggestions people have too :)

I have mine on the urs red desert sand. Works a treat and they love it

Anyone else know if this type of sand is any good for thicky tails?

Attachments

• IMG_4345.JPG
    IMG_4345.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 108
That sand should be fine, how much are they asking for that 20kg bag?

Rick

Yep, they burrow in it fine and they have never had problems like gut impaction with it.
I would use any fine sand like that

35 years ago I used to find them between rocks. Big slabs but humanly shiftable. Old dry walls. Back from when miners understood the damage and fixed it up front.

And that country got cold. they are beautiful, if I didn't need a refrigeration process I would keep them now.

35 years ago I used to find them between rocks. Big slabs but humanly shiftable. Old dry walls. Back from when miners understood the damage and fixed it up front.

And that country got cold. they are beautiful, if I didn't need a refrigeration process I would keep them now.

One of the reasons i dont want to move to darwin (got family up their), too hot for most of my reptiles. Although the aircon is normally on flat out at their house.

Rick

Are the Microclimate Thermostats appropriate to use with a heat mat connected and to use for thicky tails?

Should be I keep mine on it here's a pic of my setup.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
That sand is alright if you have deep pockets or only a couple of geckos. I use play sand for my little ones and a mixture of coco peat and sand for the adults.

Just wondering is Eco Earth coconut husk okay to use as substrate with thick-tails?

Is that one of those bricks that you put into water and it expands into that peat stuff?
If it is I would mix it with sand, gets it into good texture and not too humid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back