ReptiGlo 10.0 UVB

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varanoidea

Reaction score
I apologise for posting so much lately, but like a father stressed over his child the slightest rumours/information can spook me. :shock: I am using a ReptiGlo 10.0 UVB tube but I've read that these can cause health issues? This is troublesome for me because my hatchie that I've owned for two days is certainly closing and twitching his eyes a lot today, and is off his food although he smashed 40+ crickets yesturday. Thoughts?

Its the spiral uvbs that had most of the problems, i just ran a 5.0 for my beardie and suppliment d3 with calcium every couple feeds.

Rick

The problem with these globes and eye issues is an old one. The quality brand name ones are fine just the cheap chinese ones you should avoid

yeah as animal was saying the spirals have come along way since they use to damage the eyes the good named brands work fine just remember to check them with a uvb tester every 6months to see if they are producing enough uvb. i would use a 10.0 for beardies a 5.0 will not give off enough uvb for them the 5.0 are for the forest type animals like boyds and angle heads ect

Hi, if a hatchy just smashed 40 crickets he is possibly not hungry! As long as the basking site is reaching an adequate temperature and he is hydrated he will be fine.
Repti Glo is made under licence in Japan by NEC for Exo Terra. The 10% will be fine for beardies and has never caused issues. As BigKev said you 'should' however always take into account an animals actual UVB requirement.
We also distribute a UVB meter made by ZooMed through stores in Australia however you will pay a little more for it than through EBay :) The Reptio Glo tubes should maintan an adequte output for 8-10 months so if yo don't invest in a meter simply changing the globe every 10 months will be ok.

Hi, if a hatchy just smashed 40 crickets he is possibly not hungry! As long as the basking site is reaching an adequate temperature and he is hydrated he will be fine.

My beardie would smash 15-40 crickets daily when she was a juvi, 3 feeds a day for first 6-12 months and they grow like weeds. Mine also didnt use her water bowl and i just spray her and vivarium every week-two weeks.

As say just make sure his basking site is hot and he will do the rest, could always try a warm bath as he could be a little backed up (mine loves to poo in a warm bath).

Rick

Should I still be worried by the fact that he basks with his eyes closed most of the day?

Should I still be worried by the fact that he basks with his eyes closed most of the day?

Have you tried swaping the uv tube to a normal one an observed him why he basks? I only use a 5.0 tube but my dragon can get about 15cm from it.

Rick

No uv, just a normal fluro. Atleast that will rule out if its the globe or there may be another issue.

Rick

I bask withh my eyes closed, normally in my Budgie Smugglers with a refreshing cocktail with a little umbrella in it : content : hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back