Rhode Island Red

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatty

Reaction score
my parents have some rhode island red hens and a rooster (not together at the moment) but when they where together he would have his fun but the hens would never go broody if i incubate them would they hatch i guess i would have to candle they to see if there are any veins do you guys have any clues or hints for me
thanks chris
ps we can breed ducks like no tomorrow haha

Last edited:
I incubated Plymouth Rock chickens a few years back and most hatched. It takes a few days or weeks before you'll see the veins if they are fertile and they need to be turned a few times a day. I'm sure most chickens would be the same.

When we had red hens and a roster never had a problem with hens not being broody, how old are they?

Rick

Rhode Island Red don't go broody
I can guarantee that Rhode Island reds DO go broody - we have two RI reds, a blue form lace wyandotte, a red lace form Wyandotte, a blue leghorn and a black leghorn and the Wyandottes are worst by far, but the RI reds are next on the list to brood. One gets real cranky too. I dunk their bums in a bucket of cold water for a few minutes when they start brooding and that snaps them out of it! But to get back on the thread, the advice already given is pretty spot on - you can incubate but must turn the eggs and if you use a light box or candle you should see viable eggs in a few days...

you probably need more laying boxes than the number of hens so if one does go broody then other hens doesn't disturb it or lay more newer eggs. it's the white leghorns that doesn't brood, RI reds do go broody. i used to keep old english game and muscovy ducks and they go broody all the time, once had a hen hatched out some runners duck eggs and another a goose egg i got from a mate's farm.

Some Rhode Island reds will go broody, but most won't. This has been bred out of them. They are the breed used in intensive egg farms and have been specifically bred not to go broody due to decreased egg production. If you have a rooster chances are they are fertile. You can incubate them, or buy your self a chook that is more maternal and will hatch them for you. Silkies are fantastic mothers. Or put some eggs under one of your broody ducks... Just make sure you take the chicks before mum duck goes for a swim..

the hens use in intensive egg farms are not rhode island reds, they're isa brown - the ones with no claws and half a beak, they're a cross. rhode island reds hens are kinda big compare to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back