Anger issue

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Reaction score
I Know this might seem a stupid question,

But im starting to loose patients.

I have a jungle yearling bought due to her beautiful colours and patents when she was a hatchling.

Recently she has started to get aggressive.

About two months ago everytime i use to get her out she use to bite once or twice but was fine.

Then last month she started bite when i had her out aswell.

Now the last week she has started to attack when walking past the cage.

She is fed on a weekly basis.

Ive tried getting her out when she is a bit cooler, a bit hotter.

i like to handle her for about ten minutes twice week.

Any tips to help here?

I sanatise my hands to avoid the smell of food or uncommon smells.

No such thing as stupid questions, only stupid answers. My answer? This is common for young pythons and they grow out of it eventually. More handling and getting her more used to you will help. Just cop the bites and they eventually get over it. Or wear gloves cos while they don't hurt they scare ya and the bites can get itchy. Even just not looking when you put your hand near her stops you from jumping and breaking something. Avoid feeding bitey ones in their cage as they start thinking they're getting fed whenever you go to get them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always feed her in a separate cage,
and the bites dont bother me
just didnt want it to get any worse.

thanks heaps.

Just keep on doing what you are doing now, but as B_STATS stated handle more often and possably cover its enclosure for awhile so the fight or flight response is not so prevelant when you walk past, it is just a stage they all go through some just longer than othewrs :) ...........................Ron

But im starting to loose patients.

probably should get out of the health care system...

the biting is a defense, not anger. If the animal fees threatened when someone walks passed the enclosure I would move or cover the enclosure. Why do you feed it in a seperate enclosure?
This variant of the carpet python has a reputation for a reason, it may mature into the type of snake easily handled.

. Avoid feeding bitey ones in their cage as they start thinking they're getting fed whenever you go to get them out.
my god , the below post makes me think that maybe this feeding in separate cages business is a myth and nothing but a total coincidence when it does seem to work
I always feed her in a separate cage,

I'm pretty sure defensive bites have nothing at all to do with feeding so feeding in a separate tub will achieve nothing. If you were copping feeding response bites i could see feding in a separate enclosure/tub... Jungles have a reputation for being neurotic for a reason.... hope she grows out of it

Last edited by a moderator:
Use the anti germ stuff on your hands if youre going into the tank and not feeding. I present them with the back of my wrist so they're not tempted to lunge at my fingers, but as soon as mine get a whiff of it they back straight up

A 'hit and run' bite is defensive. A 'hit and wrap' is hunger

If her behaviour has changed, it is because something else has changed to cause this. That change has to be either internal or external.

First up I would be asking myself what external changes were made two months that may have initiated this change in behaviour. I also agree with Jack in that that the biting is defensive and recommend you follow his advice as well. If you move it up from a click clack to a larger enclosure, even though it may have been big enough it may not have been ready for it. Similarly if it has not been moved when it should have been. Check all your basic husbandry parameters i.e. temps, fresh water at least couple of days, size of the water bowl so it can get in it if it needs to etc. Do you have any new pets, visitors, additions to your reptile room, new sound system, vacuum cleaner, construction next door etc.

There are a number of really threads on getting snappy snakes to quieten when handled. Different people have different methods. I’d recommend you try Longqi’s technique of using pillowslips over the hands. Once the snake is settled and at ease with that, remove one slip while handling and allow the snake to glide into your bare hand. Do NOT grab it or force it. Once comfortable with that, slip the other pillowslip off during handling. So gradually you should get to the point where you can remove it without a pillowslip and without it being snappy. You are looking at a process that may well take months but the outcome is worth it.

Blue

Another thing that hasn't been touched on is how big of a prey item are you giving?

How long have you had it. What is your feeding regime?

Hey Mental, I had the same thing. My Jungle was cranky, biting, trying to flee, hissing and groaning if I touched him. Started out sitting quietly and just had to cop the bites and carry on. He was only about 10-12 months old when I got him. The more I practiced the handling and slow, very gentle movements (without being too pansy) the better he got. Now at about 2 years old, he still has plently of character and is not tolerant everytime I touch him, sometimes he is crazy in love with a bit of human contact. Dont loose patience and just persevere for another year or so and you will be well rewarded.

Maybe wear some gloves and make sure that the room is quiet, no one else is around and that you have no distractions so that the handling session is calm. I recommend not too long each time you have him out in the beginning.
I think the separate feeding box is really important.....

my god , the below post makes me think that maybe this feeding in separate cages business is a myth and nothing but a total coincidence when it does seem to work

Ive never given mine a feed out of their enclosure, unless they have got to me climbed up before i get the mouse.

just keep handling DAILY if you can, and maybe try letting them out on there own then picking them up off the floor, might just take a while

Thanks for all the responses

Nessy has improved heaps!

The following I have changed and had great success.
Moved her cage to a quieter location.
Stopped using a second cage during feeding.
Daily handling

We are down to only s bite when she seemed to have enough.

Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

There does seem to be a lot of new(ish) keepers who are drawn to jungles because they are pretty, and then find they are not especially tractable pets. It's the nature of the beast - if you want a placid, reliable snake, a jungle is not a reliable choice. They are probably the least compliant carpet variety - you might be lucky, but the chances are that you will always have to deal with flighty behaviour and the potential for defensive bites.

This behaviour is not necessarily elicited by any change in the snake's circumstances or surroundings - snakes of all species can go through phases of antisocial behaviour from time to time, for reasons known only to themselves.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back