Cats and snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starter

Not so new Member
Reaction score

The picture is a bit blurry, but I find it quite funny: The first encounter between my cats with one of our new snakes (Murray, the MD carpet python boy).
The cats were very interested, while my dogs and our goat are scared of them and stay on distance.
Question: Would it be safe to let cats and snake meet each other without a cage screen between them? Is there a risk that the snake could attack other meat eaters, such as cats and kittens, and constrict them, or will a snake go only for animals who smell like birds or rodents?

:D Oops, I thought so ... but asking doesn't hurt!

Here is an image of Murray's head:
phto0084.jpg

agreed never do it. at the end of the day cats kill snakes and snakes kill cats and natural instinct will always kick in.

it will be a very ugly out come of one gets killed by the other. i have seen pics of peoples cats and snakes only centimeters from each other and i feel very uncomfortable seeing those pics. because one will end up dead one day.

It wouldn't be good for either animal. The cat could attack the snake or vice versa. You could potentially end up with two dead animals. The cat could be constricted/eaten and the snake could get serious infections from cat bites/scratches.

And I wouldn't introduce it to the dog either. Snakes and other animals don't mix.

I always wondered after moving here some years ago why there does not seem to be anywhere near the stray cat problem that existed in every other town I have lived in further inland and south. After all there are bushland reserves all through this town that would lend itself to the building of a feral cat population (lots of cover, very close and in amongst urban areas, plenty of bird life etc....)

After becoming increasingly interested in reptiles and snakes, and becoming aware of the numbers of pythons that live in these same areas I have often pondered the correlation between feral cat population and python population. This is the only place I have lived thus far that has a reasonable native python population......and there are very few feral cats by comparison to other places I have lived where the python populations did not exist.

It may be pure coincidence.......but I often think about the correlation.

Last edited:
Up here I see stacks of feral cats during winter but not many during summer. On the other hand I do see quite a few well fed scrubbies during the warmer months. :) Hmmm... Maybe there is a correlation.

when you do introduce them please post the video here so everyone else considering it can see what happens :) ........................Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back