GU10 adapters.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett

Reaction score
Does anyone here use es27 fittings with a screw in gu10 adapter? If so, have you had any problems with them?

I used one a while ago and the heat from the globe melted the plastic on the outside of the adapter and it stopped working. I changed that back to a basking globe that I had spare and haven't had any problems. I just used a different gu10 adapter testing the heating in one of the enclosures I have built, and after an hour of being on, this one has started melting the plastic just like the first did.

I think I'm just going to use the es27 fitting instead lol.

Use a full ceramic gu10 socket, ive tested temps of 300c on the sockets before and they definately arent safe to be using if plastic.

Rick

I already had the es fittings. I just bought them through a respected reptile supplier and was just surprised that they would sell them if they are just going to melt every time.

Use a full ceramic gu10 socket, ive tested temps of 300c on the sockets before and they definately arent safe to be using if plastic.

Rick
What did you use to get up to 300 degrees and how did the wiring hold up?

Mine are ceramic with thermoplastic on the outside and metal for the e27 threaded side. The thermoplastic on the outside melts, which was apparently enough to stop the adapter/light to stop working with the first time. This time I turned the thermostat off before that happened. Just tried to find ones without the thermoplastic on ebay to no avail.

I have also found the GU10 - E27 adapters sold by the ebay seller / online seller in Sydney ARE DANGEROUS and NOT FIT OR SAFE FOR THE PURPOSE of mounting the 50W dichrotics they flog off with them as a kit.
THEY MELT and IMO are a fire danger and you risk burning your reptiles.

I've bought FULLY CERAMIC GU10-E27 adapters from O/seas.

What did you use to get up to 300 degrees and how did the wiring hold up?

It was either the ceramic socket or the globe at that temp, i used my IR gun to check temps. It was just a gu10 socket with some wires coming out the back, i had it suspended by metal chain to the ceiling of enclosure.

Rick

I used about 10 of those adaptors before i gave up..
They were metal e27 fitting with a plastic case and a ceramic gu10 insert, problem i had is over time the metal and the plastic separated making them useless.
Ive never seen the fully ceramic versions that a few people have mentioned, anyone have a link to them?

I found some of the fully ceramic ones. Will buy some and hope that I have no more problems.

I used about 10 of those adaptors before i gave up..
They were metal e27 fitting with a plastic case and a ceramic gu10 insert, problem i had is over time the metal and the plastic separated making them useless.
Ive never seen the fully ceramic versions that a few people have mentioned, anyone have a link to them?

Pm sent

Rick

Rick

Can you provide the supplier? Thanks

Thought I'd pop up a photo of the two fittings that have melted. Luckily noticed the second one before it got too bad. Actually, if anything, I'm lucky the first stopped working before it could cause a fire.

Thought I'd pop up a photo of the two fittings that have melted. Luckily noticed the second one before it got too bad. Actually, if anything, I'm lucky the first stopped working before it could cause a fire.

Its crazy what they pass off now days, i just returned 3 150w lamp fittings because they also melted. Now moved onto metal ones to avoid the same thing.

Rick

Yep that's pretty much what happened with the one's I got , fortunately I was nearby and smelt the burning smell and turned off the ceramic fitting it was attached to before it got even as bad as the one on the left.
Tested another, the same thing.

Contacted the seller and advised them that their adapters were very dangerous and definitely NOT FIT or SAFE for the purpose they are selling them for , and they blew me off and blocked me for my trouble.

Pretty clear that they know their adapters are worthless and downright dangerous and they couldn't give a damb.

Might be OK if you are putting a low wattage LED lamp in (that wont get very hot).

IMO every single one of these dodgey fittings they have sold should be immediately recalled and replaced at their cost with proper ceramic GU10-e27 adapters.

Last edited:
I have also found the GU10 - E27 adapters sold by the ebay seller / online seller in Sydney ARE DANGEROUS and NOT FIT OR SAFE FOR THE PURPOSE of mounting the 50W dichrotics they flog off with them as a kit.
THEY MELT and IMO are a fire danger and you risk burning your reptiles.

I've bought FULLY CERAMIC GU10-E27 adapters from O/seas.

I agree DO NOT use adaptors or plastic fittings in high temp situations,it is too dangerous BTW I have a few ceramic GU10 fittings if anyone is interested

Obviously the safety standards need to be closely looked at. Not good enough really.

There must be some timebombs around Australia and the world just waiting to go off.

Is there an advantage to using these adapters and subsequently the GU10 globes????

Yep that's pretty much what happened with the one's I got , fortunately I was nearby and smelt the burning smell and turned off the ceramic fitting it was attached to before it got even as bad as the one on the left.
Tested another, the same thing.

Contacted the seller and advised them that their adapters were very dangerous and definitely NOT FIT or SAFE for the purpose they are selling them for , and they blew me off and blocked me for my trouble.

Pretty clear that they know their adapters are worthless and downright dangerous and they couldn't give a damb.

Might be OK if you are putting a low wattage LED lamp in (that wont get very hot).

IMO every single one of these dodgey fittings they have sold should be immediately recalled and replaced at their cost with proper ceramic GU10-e27 adapters.
Can I ask why you choose to use the adaptors instead of getting an electrician to rewire the fitting?

Obviously the safety standards need to be closely looked at. Not good enough really.

There must be some timebombs around Australia and the world just waiting to go off.

Is there an advantage to using these adapters and subsequently the GU10 globes????

Halogens produce more heat then a standard bulb, although you can get halogens in ES the gu10 globes are cheap.

They are more of a spot then a flood tho, so the basking area is smaller unless you use 2.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back