Carpet Python Sightings in Victoria

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Securesnake

Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
Hi people. I was reading some posts on another site today, which included some Victorian sightings of wild Carpet Pythons which were at least 2 years ago. I'm wondering if anyone has had any more recent sightings of them in the wilds of Victoria?

Hi people. I was reading some posts on another site today, which included some Victorian sightings of wild Carpet Pythons which were at least 2 years ago. I'm wondering if anyone has had any more recent sightings of them in the wilds of Victoria?

what do you mean? is it rare to see carpet pythons in Victoria?

@Jungle. Thanks mate. I heard just north of Strathbogie and also out Ballarat way.

@Sez. They're just not nearly as common as they once were.
On a serious note, I also heard of one in the Strathbogies last year but presumed it was an escaped pet. Whoever said they saw one in Ballarat is either pulling your leg or it was an escaped pet.

I live close to killawarra, (the warby ranges) and I've seen three, I go herping up there looking for them, can't find any when I want to, but was on the way to thoona pub and there was one on the road, of course there was no camera in sight -.-

What species?

Murray Darlings! They exist along the top edge of Vic, Some of the best looking MD's I have ever seen are in the wild populations, They are a little hard to find at times but they are indeed there.

Diamond pythons also occur in Victoria, But are incredibly rare these days. I've been searching for years and never seen a live one "yet".

Murray Darlings! They exist along the top edge of Vic, Some of the best looking MD's I have ever seen are in the wild populations, They are a little hard to find at times but they are indeed there.

Yeah I have to agree. I found one here in South Australia on a cliff along the Murray River one night that was bright red like some of the bredli get. Hard animals to find when you go looking for them

Thanks heaps to everyone. I am doing a weekly series of posts on my Facebook page ("Secure Snake Removals Victoria") on Snakes of Victoria. So far I've only done elapids, and was hoping to do Pythons, also. I just wanted to know which Pythons could be found in the wild still, and rough locations. I also want some more places to go Herping.

I don't know exactly, he was in bairnsdale when I was talking to him the day after he found it, I think it was in the high country down that end of Victoria somewhere, it was basking in the sun on a branch over hanging a creek

My mum works for DSE and has sighted 2, one was at Mt Pilot, Chiltern a few years back and one recently which she says had a yellow colouring, cant recall where but yeh, they are around vic, just hard to find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back