Retes Stack- Ridge Tailed Monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogue5861

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Almost completed my enclosure and i have setup the stack for testing temps. 4mm ply with 18mm spacers.

Getting around 65-70c on top, 39c next level down, and 28c the level after and about ambiant at others. Should i have less of a gradient with more temps inbetween? This is using 2 100w g9 halogens with a distance of 8cm between spots.

9ebada4e.jpg

From what i have read that Frank Retes had said to use a thin ply board preferably 1/8" (3mm) with small spacers inbetween with enough space for the reptile.

Rick

Your spot on, place a flat rock on that top layer though to absorb the heat, hence this is why most people use tiles.

NiceI like those lights, does the fitting above the globe get hot?

I'm not sure why your filing system is in your reptile enclosure though? that's going to make things tricky come tax time! :lol:

Your spot on, place a flat rock on that top layer though to absorb the heat, hence this is why most people use tiles.

Wont a tile absorb the heat (yes, good) but also not allow it to penetrate the lower levels? I did plan on throwing a slat tiles on top (already have it, about 8-10mm think) but from what Frank says about it is you dont want to hold heat but just produce it.

I will test temps with the tile once i get the lights on the wall properly, probably a few days.

Rick

NiceI like those lights, does the fitting above the globe get hot?

I'm not sure why your filing system is in your reptile enclosure though? that's going to make things tricky come tax time! :lol:

Their just $29 lights from bunnings. The fitting does get hot, would not recommend for a snake.

Rick

I think as long as the top basking spot is reaching 65-70 which you have the middle layers aren't all that important, your monitors will sit where they are comfortable.

I think as long as the top basking spot is reaching 65-70 which you have the middle layers aren't all that important, your monitors will sit where they are comfortable.

No worries mate.

I have a second basking spot (top of rock wall), was thinking of having it around 50-60c. As its a full exposed spot (no hides) what would you recommend for temps their?

Rick

Nice set up . I think Retes buries several layers under substrate to provide more choices for humidity and temp for the monitors. He also uses one spacer per level so instead of a rectangular prism between layers you get a triangular prism, this lets the monitor squeeze into the stack as it might in a rock crevice rather than rattling around in a box.

Hope this makes sense

They will tend to crap on the top one. Tiles are easier than ply to keep clean.

Basking spots can be the same, several are really only needed when more then 2 are housed together. Watch the ambient air temp in the enclosure as they need a cool area. I have 2 big air vents installed which helps a lot. This is an old pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 553
Nice set up . I think Retes buries several layers under substrate to provide more choices for humidity and temp for the monitors. He also uses one spacer per level so instead of a rectangular prism between layers you get a triangular prism, this lets the monitor squeeze into the stack as it might in a rock crevice rather than rattling around in a box.

Hope this makes sense

I currently have 8 levels, and their will be about 160mm of substrate at this end which will cover some of the layers. If i add the 2 slate layers i will then have 10 and 7 will be covered in sand, so they can burrow into it.

I was going to try to have it like you said but i ended up just doing it in square layers.
nase4aby.jpg
***** Frank Retes Photo from another forum*****

Rick

Basking spots can be the same, several are really only needed when more then 2 are housed together. Watch the ambient air temp in the enclosure as they need a cool area. I have 2 big air vents installed which helps a lot. This is an old pic.

ygypamyp.jpg

This is my enclosure, stack is in the front right corner. Will have 4 air vents in the front also. 1200x700x900mm (LxDxH).

Havent got my glass yet but once i do i will test temps inside, i think my ambiant temps should stay lower. I will be getting 2 or 3 hatchies.

Rick

ygypamyp.jpg

This is my enclosure, stack is in the front right corner. Will have 4 air vents in the front also. 1200x700x900mm (LxDxH).

Havent got my glass yet but once i do i will test temps inside, i think my ambiant temps should stay lower. I will be getting 2 or 3 hatchies.

Rick

Looks good mate. You will need additional vents no doubt.

I have a tiled stack for my marmorata geckos. They love it but when it comes to cleaning out the enclosure they are near impossible to extract from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back