Am I doing something wrong?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varanoidea

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had my new 4/5 month old beardie for a week now and yesterday and today he has been off his food and sleeping seemingly 24/7. Sometimes if I disturb him he goes into a sporadic state of looking around really fast (sometimes tripping himself over) and being generally agitated. He was eating well all last week with crickets dusted with JurassiCAL once a day and with a multivitamin once a week, and I am fairly confident that the crickets weren't too big and have made him impacted (I am also using ceramic tile as a substrate, so no impaction there unless he is Mary Poppins and can fit a tile down his throat) as I gave him a warm bath yesterday when he started acting lethargic and he had a bowl movement, and he also did one today. As far as I can tell his faeces didn't look off in any way, it was solid and brown. He hasn't touched his yellow squash, rocket, alfalfa sprout, watercress salad mix as of yet. I also try to mist him once/twice a day since I've had him.

As for my setup:

VKfDDus.jpg

I'm using a Reptile One 100W basking light and a ReptiGLO 10.0 UVB tube which he can get within 30cms of. They turn on at 5.30am and turn off at 9.00pm to accommodate my school times. For a few days I had a thermostat however I don't trust it so I removed it and ordered a Habistat dimming thermostat which has not arrived yet. A dual thermometer is also in there but I don't trust that either, it seems to give a very varied range of temperatures no matter the weather outside. It does claim that the temperature on his basking spot is 42c+ and it certainly feels hot enough, I've just trusted the beardie to move out of it if he is too hot until I can get a new thermostat. Today the untrustworthy thermostat reads 33.5c.

As for his specific behaviour, two days ago he started closing his eyes all the time, raising one foot in the air and holding there when basking (not waving it), acting very startled and jerky like someone has blown a horn in his face, basking with his head vertical and not being interested in his food despite smashing crickets days earlier. He also seems to open and close his mouth slightly sometimes like something is stuck on his lips? His eyes are clear with no mucus, same with his nose, his rectum is clear and there are no bumps along his spine. The only problems I could think of are he is trying to brumate or is dehydrated, or is impacted despite having regular bowl movements.

That's all the information I can think of right now, if someone has any questions they would like to ask feel free and I will try my best to answer. All advice will be taken seriously and listened to. I was so careful to be thorough in my research before getting him as I absolutely adore reptiles (used to have an olive python) and I wish to work with them as a career, it would absolutely ruin me if he passed away due to something I overlooked, I would feel like a murderer.

Thanks in advance, hopefully I'm just stressing over nothing.:?

Normally when beardies open their mouths it is a sign the=at they are over heated...there is no water bowl in there so I am presuming that you spray him and the walls twice daily? The walls are glass so maybe he feels insecure? IDK, I have never had this ahppen to my baby beardies... best of luck :)

put a water bowl in he should have access to water 24/7. even though you have tiles i would still put sand in, my beardies slip on the tiles at times wen running around the house to fast and a few of mine like to dig in the sand. the enclosure looks really nice though.

whats the temp on the cool end of the tank? and is the whole floor heated or just half the enclosure?

put a water bowl in he should have access to water 24/7. even though you have tiles i would still put sand in, my beardies slip on the tiles at times wen running around the house to fast and a few of mine like to dig in the sand. the enclosure looks really nice though.

whats the temp on the cool end of the tank? and is the whole floor heated or just half the enclosure?

Temp at cool end is 25c and no the floor isn't heated.

good, thought you might have done one of those DIY heated tiles. try having a water bowl in there he might just be thirsty.

i know your using a 100w globe but what are the temps in there (sorry if i missed it, there was alot of reading there.) at his basking spot? it may be too cool, now the weather is changing.

i know your using a 100w globe but what are the temps in there (sorry if i missed it, there was alot of reading there.) at his basking spot? it may be too cool, now the weather is changing.

The digital thermometer I'm using seems pretty dodgy, some days it reads 43+ and others less than 35+. I will be investing in a better one. It certainly feels hot enough to the touch though.

What are your over night temps and how big is he?

Rick

Overnight reads low 20's. From tip of the nose to his vent is 9 cm roughly. I will be monitoring his weight, weighed him yesterday and he's roughly 20 grams.

I just caught him in one of his moments, he flings his head around looking around his enclosure really fast, and it seems he tried rubbing his head on his basking rock, then went back to closing his eyes? Could he be shedding? His tail is flaking a bit. He also seems to be puffing his bearded out for a second then pulling it back and swallowing a lot.

Overnight reads low 20's. From tip of the nose to his vent is 9 cm roughly. I will be monitoring his weight, weighed him yesterday and he's roughly 20 grams.

I wouldnt let it drop much lower then what ya got it at. My adult has already gone down for winter, 16-20c over night.

Have you tried without the uvb tube? I could possible be causing an issue but wont know 100% until you rule it out.

Rick

Could be the shed or it could be his reflection on the glass, i covered up bottom 10 cm at front and the 2 sides and back when i had mine in a glass tank.

Rick

My glass is covered from the outside with cardboard but you can still kinda see the reflection just not as clearly.

My glass is covered from the outside with cardboard but you can still kinda see the reflection just not as clearly.

I covered mine on the inside, they get a little skitish around reflections. Im not sure this is the problem but im sure it couldnt hurt to stick some paper to inside walls to rule it out.

Your setup sounds fine apart from the dicky thermometer.

Rick

Get a Zoo Med temp gun. Point and shoot. Also definitely seems like it is shedding given some of its body language. How's it diet? Dusted small crix and offer greens i.e. endive, bok choy, asian greens, shredded carrot, snow pea sprouts, bearded dragon pellets.....mix it up and offer variety.

That UV seems a tad harsh too. Thought beardies only need 5.0, maybe wrong.

As Rick said the glass could be an issue.

I wouldn't be using to much calcium maybe just dusting crickets twice a week. I have also heard that calcium is no good for small dragons because it can build up in teeth and cause problems. Maybe even just leave a dish with some calcium and he can lick at it when he wants it.

Get a Zoo Med temp gun. Point and shoot. Also definitely seems like it is shedding given some of its body language. How's it diet? Dusted small crix and offer greens i.e. endive, bok choy, asian greens, shredded carrot, snow pea sprouts, bearded dragon pellets.....mix it up and offer variety.

That UV seems a tad harsh too. Thought beardies only need 5.0, maybe wrong.

As Rick said the glass could be an issue.

Always has greens available for the week I've had him, hasn't touched them, been eating small crickets with cal dust. I'll try the things suggested, I'll give him soaks in case he is shedding, I have water available (not deep enough for him to drown), and turning off the UVB tomorrow just to see if he keeps his eyes closed constantly.

Does he puff out his eyes by any chance? Like make them all goggly?

Always has greens available for the week I've had him, hasn't touched them, been eating small crickets with cal dust. I'll try the things suggested, I'll give him soaks in case he is shedding, I have water available (not deep enough for him to drown), and turning off the UVB tomorrow just to see if he keeps his eyes closed constantly.

Do you have a normal tube to replace the uvb? If not it may be too dark in the tank, just make sure his viv is has enough light.

It sounds like a shed but just keep checking him, only handle if you have to at this stage.

My dragon wont eat vegi's unless i hand feed then to her, most will eat veg but some dont.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back