Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
no the real problem is the government just doesnt want them and i reckon over time they will even make the rules on our licenses harsher and harder to get so we dont keep reptiles in the end

I put up a petition about this few days ago... but it got removed.. awaiting reason why it was removed.
Reptiles are imported illegally anyway - regardless of it being a crime... so is drug trade... does that mean it doesnt happen? No it just happens in an UNCONTROLLED environment.
Snake importing happens regularly.. and they are imported in a very inhumane way, many die in transport! kept by people who know nothing about them and dont care. so risk of disease is taken anyway when importing illegally and that will happen regardless of laws in place.
So why not legalise it and have people who are licensed and controlled - who are true enthusiasts - Take care of and appreciate these precious animals??
in relation to disease, its not the 18th century, we have QUARANTINE... why do i feel like evryone just takes whatever is given to them when it comes to discussing exotic reptiles.

And the main reason why most people on this forum hate the idea...
Think about what would happen to the price of Aussie pythons if there was exotics ?? would you pay $1500 for an albino darwin when you can have a exotic python with nicer colours? :p and alot of people on this forum make decent money from breeding pythons.

Bismarck python
Boelins Python
White Lipped Python
White Lipped Green Pit Viper
Eye lash Viper
Boiga Dendrophila
Sunbeam Snake

Any one of those is eat your heart out material
So dont think we have the best of reptiles
BUT
We do have the most successfully protected ones
When you see what happens overseas you will be thankful for our laws

I'd amend that to "So don't think we have ALL the best reptiles" ;) But otherwise, spot on.

And the main reason why most people on this forum hate the idea...
Think about what would happen to the price of Aussie pythons if there was exotics ?? would you pay $1500 for an albino darwin when you can have a exotic python with nicer colours? :p and alot of people on this forum make decent money from breeding pythons.

As much as I hate to say it, this comes fairly close to the truth of local sentiment. However, I wouldn't say that an albino darwin is less beautiful than say any exotic python. And they're not $1500 any more, if you look hard enough you can find them for $600-700.

BTW, most of our natives are prettier IMHO than the vast majority of the non-natives you have generally come to know. Example - Bredli, Diamonds, Womas, Blackheaded pythons, Rough-scaled pythons, etc, are a LOT prettier to me than any Ball python.

BTW, most of our natives are prettier IMHO than the vast majority of the non-natives you have generally come to know. Example - Bredli, Diamonds, Womas, Blackheaded pythons, Rough-scaled pythons, etc, are a LOT prettier to me than any Ball python.

Ever seen a Gabon viper? A rhino viper? A puff adder? Rainbow boas? Sunbeam snakes? Eyelash vipers? Boomslangs? Green Mambas?Australian snakes ARE beautiful but they are not top of the list, well, my list anyway!

PS - I don't think exotics should be legal.

I put up a petition about this few days ago... but it got removed.. awaiting reason why it was removed.
Reptiles are imported illegally anyway - regardless of it being a crime... so is drug trade... does that mean it doesnt happen? No it just happens in an UNCONTROLLED environment.
Snake importing happens regularly.. and they are imported in a very inhumane way, many die in transport! kept by people who know nothing about them and dont care. so risk of disease is taken anyway when importing illegally and that will happen regardless of laws in place.
So why not legalise it and have people who are licensed and controlled - who are true enthusiasts - Take care of and appreciate these precious animals??
in relation to disease, its not the 18th century, we have QUARANTINE... why do i feel like evryone just takes whatever is given to them when it comes to discussing exotic reptiles.
Are you saying that just because it is happening we should legalise it? Does this also apply to all crimes? I think you may want to re-think your reasons and come up with something logical to state your point as to why you think they should be legalised if you want people to take you serious. Also I do not think people on this site are too worried about the price of reptiles dropping with the introduction of exotic species of snakes.

[h=1]Some pictures of my collection. Check some of these out mate, some of these are just as impressive as our natives.[/h]

Are you saying that just because it is happening we should legalise it? Does this also apply to all crimes? I think you may want to re-think your reasons and come up with something logical to state your point as to why you think they should be legalised if you want people to take you serious. Also I do not think people on this site are too worried about the price of reptiles dropping with the introduction of exotic species of snakes.

This concept would not apply to criminal activity that causes harm to others or the environment. Bringing in exotic animals without supervision and quarantine places Australia at serious risk of diseases and pests. Which causes harm. The same can be said for most other exotics too, especially carnivorous predators, and they do pose similar threats.

If you were talking about drugs or voluntary euthanasia (AKA medically assisted suicide), I would agree that it should be virtually completely decriminalised and available to all who wish to avail themselves of it. Unfortunately the government (or it's mouthpiece) tells us that our bodies belong to us, but I see -as do most people with any real intelligence- that only applies to abortion. It doesn't apply to drugs or voluntary euthanasia. Something I am personally at loggerheads with. But that's just how it is. I would say it's all about money and that makes sense to me. Private interests simply don't want any competition or any interruption from their profit streams to occur. Voluntary euthanasia's availability would disrupt a massive money stream to those who benefit from forcing patients to live against their will. With drugs, well, don't get me started. Big alcohol industry doesn't want the competition, neither does big tobacco, and big pharmaceutical companies want their fingers in the pie too, so they have a hand in this crap as well. Enough said? Now the irony with abortion is that it is an enormously profitable business, and I guess nobody wants to discuss that because it is embarrassing to say the least. I am here if only to disseminate facts, I don't discuss religious viewpoints, but I most certainly WILL discuss facts in relation to politics if I think it's appropriate.

To sum it up, you only have "rights" that "they" want you to have. Forget the rest, you'll go to prison if you don't do as you're told, so to speak.

But for environmental risks there needs to be regulations in place. We need to regulate what happens here as well (eg. mining, and certain industries which can cause environmental damage, such as logging) as what comes in from overseas.

This concept would not apply to criminal activity that causes harm to others or the environment. Bringing in exotic animals without supervision and quarantine places Australia at serious risk of diseases and pests. Which causes harm. The same can be said for most other exotics too, especially carnivorous predators, and they do pose similar threats.

If you were talking about drugs or voluntary euthanasia (AKA medically assisted suicide), I would agree that it should be virtually completely decriminalised and available to all who wish to avail themselves of it. Unfortunately the government (or it's mouthpiece) tells us that our bodies belong to us, but I see -as do most people with any real intelligence- that only applies to abortion. It doesn't apply to drugs or voluntary euthanasia. Something I am personally at loggerheads with. But that's just how it is. I would say it's all about money and that makes sense to me. Private interests simply don't want any competition or any interruption from their profit streams to occur. Voluntary euthanasia's availability would disrupt a massive money stream to those who benefit from forcing patients to live against their will. With drugs, well, don't get me started. Big alcohol industry doesn't want the competition, neither does big tobacco, and big pharmaceutical companies want their fingers in the pie too, so they have a hand in this crap as well. Enough said? Now the irony with abortion is that it is an enormously profitable business, and I guess nobody wants to discuss that because it is embarrassing to say the least. I am here if only to disseminate facts, I don't discuss religious viewpoints, but I most certainly WILL discuss facts in relation to politics if I think it's appropriate.

To sum it up, you only have "rights" that "they" want you to have. Forget the rest, you'll go to prison if you don't do as you're told, so to speak.

But for environmental risks there needs to be regulations in place. We need to regulate what happens here as well (eg. mining, and certain industries which can cause environmental damage, such as logging) as what comes in from overseas.
So you are basically saying that you would like to choose which of the illegal activities are made legal and which ones are not instead of the government which has processes in place to deal with such decisions. I personally can see that there is a risk to our native fauna if an exotic species was to escape and establish itself in Australia.

Who cares what's prettier or not. I think we can all agree it would be a stupid decision to allow the keeping of exotics.
If we can't be happy with what we have then we are selfish. We have such beautiful animals here and to be allowed to keep and and such a diverse range of them (which I may add is expanding) is just amazing. This debate seems to comeuppance lot and the answers always seem to be the same. The problems to natives etc etc. there really is no reason to bring in exotics other than for our personal gain because some either don't see the beauty in what we have, need something new and exciting or want to make money etc with new bright toys. And for anyone who isn't happy nor sees the beauty in what we have, Ithink it would come as a shock if many of our natives were wiped out due to the allowance of huge numbers of exotics. Only then would we realise what we had once its gone. The many funky genes and patterns etc and new snakes that are coming into our aussie lines all the time are truly amazing. They are also something many other nationalities admire as we have STUNNING PURE lines that are ever developing but not being sent elsewhere to be messed with. Makes 'em jealous I think ;)

I agree with you BP!

Also, if people want a boa, corn, retic, ball python, etc then go move overseas!!!

I personally can see that there is a risk to our native fauna if an exotic species was to escape and establish itself in Australia.

I was never arguing that point. I can see the risks too, and I would never allow something into the country if it was assessed as posing a major threat. We already have enough exotic pests that to bring in any more is senseless and unnecessary - only to satisfy certain individuals who want something because it has bright colours.

However, if, say for example, corn snakes, are found to pose negligible or no risks, then I don't see a problem. But I doubt we would ever see that sort of result from any serious assessment - the most likely outcome is that they would be assessed as a threat to biodiversity and therefore not allowed in, the same as boa constrictors.

I never argued with the government's legal processes. They appear to work fine, except for when they don't. You honestly don't think that lobbying from special interests cannot sway a government? If they have very deep pockets? They sure can. And they sure do. There is no point arguing that because you're only going to lose. Big alcohol and tobacco (and pharmaceutical) companies do not want cannabis added to the list of allowed recreational drugs because it would be serious competition for them. While I understand that cannabis has it's risks (ie, psychotic episodes, potential rage, etc) I can assure you alcohol has a much, much, much bigger risk of causing these problems. I've heard of one person becoming violent whilst using cannabis and he was using very heavily. I've heard of dozens of people becoming violent when they've had too much alcohol, and don't forget about cigarettes. Tobacco is extremely addictive. I know of someone who broke someone's nose so badly that he had to have it reconstructed surgically - the reason? Someone was crazy for a cigarette and this poor guy said no I don't have any, so his nose got smashed in by someone who went psycho because he couldn't get a cigarette.

exotics are a big risk, humans just want more and more and im not saying i don't...everyone should take advantage of what they have but when it's coming to a risky point you should work with what you have. here in WA we are only aloud 35 odd species and 10 odd of them are on a category 5 license which takes 2 years experience and $300 yearly to get. luckily DEC decided to add 6 new species and they are adding another 6 species but im not sure if the latest six being contemplated have been approved.

I was never arguing that point. I can see the risks too, and I would never allow something into the country if it was assessed as posing a major threat. We already have enough exotic pests that to bring in any more is senseless and unnecessary - only to satisfy certain individuals who want something because it has bright colours.

However, if, say for example, corn snakes, are found to pose negligible or no risks, then I don't see a problem. But I doubt we would ever see that sort of result from any serious assessment - the most likely outcome is that they would be assessed as a threat to biodiversity and therefore not allowed in, the same as boa constrictors.

I never argued with the government's legal processes. They appear to work fine, except for when they don't. You honestly don't think that lobbying from special interests cannot sway a government? If they have very deep pockets? They sure can. And they sure do. There is no point arguing that because you're only going to lose. Big alcohol and tobacco (and pharmaceutical) companies do not want cannabis added to the list of allowed recreational drugs because it would be serious competition for them. While I understand that cannabis has it's risks (ie, psychotic episodes, potential rage, etc) I can assure you alcohol has a much, much, much bigger risk of causing these problems. I've heard of one person becoming violent whilst using cannabis and he was using very heavily. I've heard of dozens of people becoming violent when they've had too much alcohol, and don't forget about cigarettes. Tobacco is extremely addictive. I know of someone who broke someone's nose so badly that he had to have it reconstructed surgically - the reason? Someone was crazy for a cigarette and this poor guy said no I don't have any, so his nose got smashed in by someone who went psycho because he couldn't get a cigarette.
It all seems like a big conspiracy with the drug and alcohol companies then mate, I do not think that if alcohol and cigarette companies controlled the world they would allow all the taxes and restrictions be added to their products. They would not stand for the packaging laws or the advertising laws. Can you please show me this list of recreational drugs that the big companies are trying to keep cannabis off because as far as I have heard about there isn't one and cannabis is legal for treatment when required as with other drugs. I don't know how you have turned my comments to another poster about importation onto this other rubbish but if you read my post I did not argue for or against importing exotics but told another member that he needs to have better reasons than "it is happening anyway". If you wish to continue your other discussion about drugs and alcohol please feel free to PM me rather than fill this thread up with this stuff.

Bloody great posts brother. We need more people thinking like this IMO. If anyone strongly disagrees with these views mentioned here, I plead you to research them for yourself. It may just change your perspective... :)

I would love to keep a black throat monitor, chameleons or the crazy range of geckos available but if it would hurt our environment then its a definite no. Its as simple as that IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back