Sexing Hatchlings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 16446

Reaction score
Just wondering from the breeders on here who sexes their own hatchlings, takes them to a vet, or has someone they know who does it for them? I have 30 baby bredli's that need sexing. Thanks.

Best thing to do is Probe or "Pop" them
Personally I prefer to probe, I probe my own snakes, especially after someone screwed me around in the industry (Drove an hour down there and he left for work 2 seconds before we got there. Was not happy. Had to drive an hour back and wasted alot of fuel....)

Anyway I would get an experienced person to show you and get yourself a kit, around $40 - $100 depending on where you look. Can recommend a set if your interested. If you are ever up this way then I am happy to probe them for you :)

I was going to take them to a vet and get them to show me how to do it, but I've been keeping records for them since they hatched, so I can't just bundle them all into one container now. They look too similar to take photos of for identification. I'll see what I can find on youtube but I don't have a kit for probing at this stage; first ever clutches of hatchlings.

Stick them separately into chinese containers or get a vet or someone who can do it to come to you instead.

Chinese container idea is good. Also could get pillow cases from Vinnies etc for next to nothing. You can then write on the pillow cases if you like. Easier to get containers from supermarket though.

Might go with the chinese containers. Anyone know what vets charge for sexing? No doubt there's the consultation fee, which is probably one snake gone. Then there'd be a charge for each one, so out of 30, I might be lucky to start breaking even with 14.

Mine charges $15 each for sexing only. Gets expensive. Best to get some probes and get your vet to teach you with a couple then sex the rest yourself. Or see if someone here can teach you in your area.
Probes arent expensive. Got mine from herpshop about $40-50 plus postage i think.

Bredli
Females probe 5-7
Males 10-14

Cheers. Aaron.

I used to go to my local reptile shop , where I have spent lots of cash , and one of the staff , who was very good at it , would probe them for me .

Might go with the chinese containers. Anyone know what vets charge for sexing? No doubt there's the consultation fee, which is probably one snake gone. Then there'd be a charge for each one, so out of 30, I might be lucky to start breaking even with 14.

My vet wanted to charge me $350 for 5 pythons, so thought that was alot so started looking around at other means. No offence to my 5 beautiful snakes but that is alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back