Chicken vs Quail...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobe404

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I just got done feeding the little MD (his second go downing a 5 day old, 40g, Chick) and he had no trouble.
Now I've tried him on Quail as well (of roughly the same size) and the success rate has been about 1/4 of that compared to with Chickens.
He's coiled both types of prey items multiple times. But for some odd reason, most times, finds it hard to get the Quail down.

Also worth mentioning that the Chicken is cheaper. 8 pack of week old Quail is $23. 5 day old Chicks are $1.55 each.
Anyone got any idea as to why this is happening? Be nice to know the nutritional differences between the two as well.

Just thought it would be nice to let people know.
Cheers.

Cost the same to raise when in eggs but once they hatch a week old quail probably eats more food then a day old chicken? It would be all about costs i would like.

If you paid that much for quail you should be looking else where, a quick search around should net you a cheaper price. 5 pack of week old quails (40-50g), ive seen for around $7.

Rick

frankly i don't think there is a nutritional difference between quail and chicken, quail just tend to be taken more readily i believe and thus is more sought after -> expensive

A day old chick is really just a reconstituted egg whereas a week old quail is eating , digesting , absorbing the external environment and so should have more nutritional diversity. Eitherway they should both sustain a reptile. I think they should be used as part of the "shot-gun" approach where a variety of feed may supply the secret "herbs and spices" required for optimen growth.
Chichens are mass produced and normally a byproduct produced from culling undesirable hatches. Most quail breeders dont have the same economies of scale. By the time reptile food gets to the retail counter the cost of production becomes insignificant with most cost relating to the service component of the sale. What other pet can you feed for less than $5 a week?

Last edited by a moderator:
5 day old Chick vs week old Quail (both around 40g).
Don't know how every one seemed to of missed that.
Never the less. Thank you for the responses.
Nice to know the nutritional values shouldn't be too much of a difference.

Remember seeing a table somewhere that compared day old chicks to rats/mice and although the protein content is very good I seem to remember the calcium content was minimal. This could be addressed by using calcium supplements probably.

In the links above it shows there is less calcium, but a higher amount of Phosphorous, this is also essential in the health and well eying of the snakes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

without enough research to know I also believe in the diversification of a snakes prey items, after all this truly mimics their habbits in the wild, they don't just go out hunting for one particular species.

you could find a better result with a mix of quail, chooks and rodents rotated every feed (which is what I try to do) but then again what defines a better result? the snake eats, lives and looks healthy... most do or their health deteriorates.

The question could and has been asked about nutritional content in all small birds but again, what is truly beneficial for the snake? The snake itself doesn't even know. Just feed it and keep it happy is my belief, and I don't eat the same thing every meal.

without enough research to know I also believe in the diversification of a snakes prey items, after all this truly mimics their habbits in the wild, they don't just go out hunting for one particular species.

you could find a better result with a mix of quail, chooks and rodents rotated every feed (which is what I try to do) but then again what defines a better result? the snake eats, lives and looks healthy... most do or their health deteriorates.

The question could and has been asked about nutritional content in all small birds but again, what is truly beneficial for the snake? The snake itself doesn't even know. Just feed it and keep it happy is my belief, and I don't eat the same thing every meal.

You make some good points... To be perfectly honest though the only reason I diverted away from offering Mice/Rats was because he started turning his nose up at them.
Then I tried Quail for a while. Which he only ever refused outright once and that was when he was coming up to shed.
Then I noticed he was struggling to get the Quail down at times (for some odd reason, why I don't know, as they are the same weight/size as the Chicks I offer).
So one day I decided to offer him a 5 day old Chick, just to see how he went with them. He has had a 100% success rate (so far) of getting them all the way down. So I've stuck with them.

I do find that the more birds I offer, the more they prefer them. I have to keep the rodent ratio up to keep them eating them otherwise they get picky, hence the variety. But the staple diet is still rodents for my reptiles, it's just I throw more away than birds. Success rate for birds is so much better. I have also noticed, as still somewhat of a novice, that most refused food items are a reflection of my husbandry.

Having said that though it's my personal belief (with no solid proof) that they do 'look' better with the avian influence, and I believe it's the variety more so than the bird. I breed my own rodents though so throwing the odd couple out doesn't really hurt my budget, and when they were small enough I would give them to my oscar occasionally. My quails however aren't so productive so I end up buying alot. Also I've had roosters, and I won't have them again.

Horses for courses I guess but I still believe in variety.

Last edited:
My quails however aren't so productive so I end up buying alot. Also I've had roosters, and I won't have them again.

Ive read that 18hrs of light a day will increase production, getting almost an egg every day.

Rick

I've read that it depends on daylight hour also.

I get an egg a day occasionally but only when weather supports, for me adding artificial light demeans the point of frugal feeders. Although I am worried about what minimum temps they can deal with. Mine are jap quail also. I enjoy keeping many animals and as much as I used to hate birds, now own a few different varieties & looking at more since owning my herps. The snake feed soon becomes a bi-product, which I guess it should be as the circle of life dictates.

The other important thing to add is the incubator is essential, they are terrible mothers.

I believe the Jap quails are the only ones we can use as feeders, as all others are natives.

Could try and get a broody king quail hen to sit the eggs but an incubator is alot more dependable.

I contemplated my own quail farm but i will only have a couple small monitors, if i was keeping a few snakes or big monitors i would of kicked it off. Need to remind myself im still in a rental and dont have the space for all the species i want yet.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back